Telstra uses "Fraud" as an excuse when it doesn't want to provide a service...

ozno...@gmail.com

May 9, 2018, 9:47:28 AM5/9/18
Hi.

Just wanted some advice from the Google community...

It seems Telstra now has a new tactic of using fake "FRAUD" as an excuse to deny customers a legitimate service, when something they do loses them money. Instead of being honest and saying "We don't want you as a customer as you are losing us money", they instead allege fake "Fraud"!

Has anyone else has this experience with Telstra PREPAID & Telstra "Control Group" team?:

I am a "sim slut". I have always had a dual-sim phone, for years, and always buy and Activate the cheapest Telco Prepaid SIM from Coles, Woolworths whenever I need, for 30 days until the SIM expires, and I throw it away.

I successfully did this for many years with numerous providers, for years.
Optus, Vodafone, Amaysim, etc. All worked fine. Telstra did too, until this month, after many years of Activating and burning through the SIM's....

I just Activated my new 28th Telstra $40 Prepaid SIM late last month.

I suddenly got an SMS about 1 hour after Activating this 28th Prepaid:
"Your Service has been Suspended. Call 125888."
No emails, no calls, nothing else.

I immediately called 1258888. They said to call the Telstra Control Group team on 1800-096-566 . I did this.

After numerous calls, they said to go to my nearest Telstra shop with 3 forms of ID. I did this, they photocopied it, scanned it and attached it to my Telstra file.

After a number of phone calls later to the same Control Group team over a number of following days, the Fillipino staff members agreed my ID matched the records. However, after staying on the line for some time while they "checked", they said "Telstra has decided to refuse to Activate your service and any new service you connect will be automatically Barred. You will need to find another Provider. Sorry."

I immediately lodged an TIO complaint; and also a "Complaint to the CEO" via the Telstra website to try to find a reason.

I got this reply earlier this week from the Telstra CEO's Office:

"
I confirm that there is no fault associated with your Pre-paid Mobile service. The Pre-paid Mobile service was barred by our Credit Management department based on an investigation by our Control Group. As per the investigation, Telstra reasonably suspects fraud.

In view of the investigation, I am sorry to advise Telstra is unable to remove the barring of your Pre-paid Mobile service.

Unfortunately, this resolution and information provided doesn’t meet with your expectations.

While it is disappointing that we are unable to reach a mutually agreeable solution, Telstra is confident that our investigation and proposed resolution are appropriate and therefore, I’m not able to do anything further to resolve this matter for you.
"

What do I do with this $30 I've just lost???

When I activated a new $2 SIM just now to see what would happen (using my licence number), it did, indeed, get automatically barred with the "Your Service has been Suspended. Call 125888." SMS above.

Should I escalate this matter with the TIO?

Has anyone else had any experience with the Telstra "Control Group"??? It seems the team is actually in Melbourne but does not talk to customers.

John Henderson

May 10, 2018, 5:19:31 PM5/10/18
ozno...@spam.la wrote:

> Just wanted some advice from the Google community...

This is usenet, and nothing to do with google, other than the fact that
google is one way of getting here.

> It seems Telstra now has a new tactic of using fake "FRAUD" as an excuse
> to deny customers a legitimate service, when something they do loses them
> money. Instead of being honest and saying "We don't want you as a customer
> as you are losing us money", they instead allege fake "Fraud"!

You seem to have attracted plenty of responses to your corresponding
whirlpool post: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2724629

John