OT Birds of Prey.

Grumpy Tech

Jun 13, 2022, 1:03:34 AM6/13/22
A visit to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.

The bird show was spectacular.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NniWPhkfrmhPX7oaP?e=deA52U

Daryl

Jun 13, 2022, 1:32:04 AM6/13/22
Magnificent creatures, great pics.
Living in Bacchus Marsh all I have to do is look up to see birds like
that, there were 2 very large Wedge Tails and a hawk circling above my
mates workshop last week and if I look out my backyard I often see a
pair of Australian Little Eagles flying around:-)
We had a group of Red-browed Firetails and some Fairy Wrens in my
backyard last week, the male wrens are very bright blue so you can't
miss them.

--
Daryl

Noddy

Jun 13, 2022, 1:50:08 AM6/13/22
On 13/06/2022 3:31 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 13/6/2022 3:03 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>> A visit to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
>>
>> The bird show was spectacular.
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NniWPhkfrmhPX7oaP?e=deA52U
>

> Magnificent creatures, great pics.

Ditto.

> Living in Bacchus Marsh all I have to do is look up to see birds like
> that, there were 2 very large Wedge Tails and a hawk circling above my
> mates workshop last week and if I look out my backyard I often see a
> pair of Australian Little Eagles flying around:-)
> We had a group of Red-browed Firetails and some Fairy Wrens in my
> backyard last week, the male wrens are very bright blue so you can't
> miss them.

Same here.

We get lots of Hawks and Owls here often flying around in the paddock
right behind us looking for mice and other tasty morsels when they're
not fighting the chooks over the table and garden scraps. . Stacks of
Magpies, Cockies, Galahs, the odd Ibis, Parrots, Lorikeets and Rosellas,
and the odd Wedgie.

The last really big one we had here was a few years ago now. I didn't
know it was right outside my shed door until I saw the wife run
frantically out the back door of the house waving a broom and yelling. I
walked outside to see what mental illness she was suffering from just in
time to see this huge wedgie that was sitting on the back of my ute
unfold it's wings and take off.

It was massive with a wingspan of probably 2 mtrs, and I felt the wash
of air from it as it slowly flew away. The reason the wife came out
chasing it away is because it was eyeing off one of our chickens, and
had she not it would have no doubt snatched it and had the thing for lunch.

Regards,
Noddy.

Clocky

Jun 13, 2022, 2:05:55 AM6/13/22
On 13/06/2022 1:50 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 13/06/2022 3:31 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 13/6/2022 3:03 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>>> A visit to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
>>>
>>> The bird show was spectacular.
>>>
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NniWPhkfrmhPX7oaP?e=deA52U
>>

>> Magnificent creatures, great pics.
>
> Ditto.
>
>> Living in Bacchus Marsh all I have to do is look up to see birds like
>> that, there were 2 very large Wedge Tails and a hawk circling above my
>> mates workshop last week and if I look out my backyard I often see a
>> pair of Australian Little Eagles flying around:-)
>> We had a group of Red-browed Firetails and some Fairy Wrens in my
>> backyard last week, the male wrens are very bright blue so you can't
>> miss them.
>
> Same here.
>
> We

<snip all too convenient "me too" anecdote with extra topping for effect>

:-)

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Xeno

Jun 13, 2022, 2:58:48 AM6/13/22
On 13/6/2022 3:03 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
Have you given consideration to posting such things to *relevant*
newsgroups?
There are a few you know. Try;

rec.animals.wildlife
rec.birds
uk.rec.birdwatching
alt.photography
aus.photo

They might be interested. In case you hadn't noticed, aus.cars is a
newsgroup related to *cars* as well as being home for a self
aggrandising bullshit artist named Darren who fancies himself as a
mechanic and the king of aus.cars, fraudulently in both cases it has to
be said.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Daryl

Jun 13, 2022, 6:30:18 AM6/13/22
LOL, never seen any that close but there are certainly plenty around:-)

--
Daryl

Yosemite Sam

Jun 13, 2022, 6:47:39 AM6/13/22
On 13/06/2022 4:58 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 13/6/2022 3:03 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>> A visit to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
>>
>> The bird show was spectacular.
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NniWPhkfrmhPX7oaP?e=deA52U
>
> Have you given consideration to posting such things to *relevant*
> newsgroups?
> There are a few you know. Try;
>
> rec.animals.wildlife
> rec.birds
> uk.rec.birdwatching
> alt.photography
> aus.photo
>
> They might be interested. In case you hadn't noticed, aus.cars is a
> newsgroup related to *cars* as well as being home for a self
> aggrandising bullshit artist named Darren who fancies himself as a
> mechanic and the king of aus.cars, fraudulently in both cases it has
> to be said.

+1

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

"So some infantile nonsense and running away again
I see. Your standard MO." -Clocky on Keefy

FUCK PUTIN!!

Noddy

Jun 13, 2022, 7:08:08 AM6/13/22
On 13/06/2022 8:30 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 13/6/2022 3:50 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> It was massive with a wingspan of probably 2 mtrs, and I felt the wash
>> of air from it as it slowly flew away. The reason the wife came out
>> chasing it away is because it was eyeing off one of our chickens, and
>> had she not it would have no doubt snatched it and had the thing for
>> lunch.
>>
> LOL, never seen any that close but there are certainly plenty around:-)

Haven't seen any wedgies around here of late, but Hawks are a daily
occurrance.

Grumpy Tech

Jun 13, 2022, 7:54:01 AM6/13/22
On 13/06/2022 4:58 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 13/6/2022 3:03 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>> A visit to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
>>
>> The bird show was spectacular.
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NniWPhkfrmhPX7oaP?e=deA52U
>
> Have you given consideration to posting such things to *relevant*
> newsgroups?
> There are a few you know. Try;
>
> rec.animals.wildlife
> rec.birds
> uk.rec.birdwatching
> alt.photography
> aus.photo
>
> They might be interested. In case you hadn't noticed, aus.cars is a
> newsgroup related to *cars* as well as being home for a self
> aggrandising bullshit artist named Darren who fancies himself as a
> mechanic and the king of aus.cars, fraudulently in both cases it has to
> be said.

Oh dear, someone can't read OT and just skip over it. I thought you had
a university education.

Apart from which I'm sure that others are also interested in seeing
quality photographs.

Remember I clearly marked it OT. Deal with it.

Xeno

Jun 13, 2022, 8:04:57 AM6/13/22
The issue is - you didn't post it in *any other relevant group*, you
just posted it *here* where it was as out of place as a shag on a rock.
There is a reason these other groups exist and you will find in them
like minded posters who actually are interested in the photos you shoot
and the content therein.

Grumpy Tech

Jun 13, 2022, 8:21:07 AM6/13/22
You're out of place like a shag on a rock in here as well, yet you still
post 10000000 Noddy isn't qualified posts a month which pisses everyone
off more than my one or two off topic posts a month.

As I said, deal with it.

Xeno

Jun 13, 2022, 8:36:02 AM6/13/22
Ah but Darren is a *fake mechanic* who pretends he is qualified to work
on *cars*. He needs to own up to his fraud!

PS, See, a cars relevant post! ;-)

Noddy

Jun 13, 2022, 9:03:33 AM6/13/22
The massive irony is that he's never made an on topic post since he
first blew in here pretending to be someone else.

Xeno

Jun 13, 2022, 9:28:22 AM6/13/22
Oh bullshit Darren! Any post I make with regard to your fake claims of
motor mechanic and auto machinist trade qualifications and fake claims
of 15 years of ownership of an automotive business is *directly*
on-topic since these trades and business directly relate to *cars*.
Ditto any posts I make commenting on your bullshit car stories and
spectacular trade cockups - you know, like Les's 4A-GE20 engine blowup,
are also directly on-topic. I must say, your effort to denigrate Toyota
starters, apart from showing how little depth you really have in the
trade, was another opportunity for me to make on-topic cars posts.
Funny, isn't it, how your efforts served only to show why Toyotas have a
reputation for reliability. Keep it up Darren!

BTW, why not prove you're not a fraud and humiliate me out of here - you
only need flash those trade qualifications. Don't forget to include
those *uniquely identifiable trade registration numbers since they
provide a *positive* means of *verification*.

Yosemite Sam

Jun 13, 2022, 7:21:44 PM6/13/22
of course. just another lie

> Any post I make with regard to your fake claims of motor mechanic and
> auto machinist trade qualifications and fake claims of 15 years of
> ownership of an automotive business is *directly* on-topic since these
> trades and business directly relate to *cars*. Ditto any posts I make
> commenting on your bullshit car stories and spectacular trade cockups
> - you know, like Les's 4A-GE20 engine blowup, are also directly
> on-topic. I must say, your effort to denigrate Toyota starters, apart
> from showing how little depth you really have in the trade, was
> another opportunity for me to make on-topic cars posts. Funny, isn't
> it, how your efforts served only to show why Toyotas have a reputation
> for reliability. Keep it up Darren!
>
> BTW, why not prove you're not a fraud and humiliate me out of here -
> you only need flash those trade qualifications. Don't forget to
> include those *uniquely identifiable trade registration numbers since
> they provide a *positive* means of *verification*.

jonz@ nothere.com

Jun 13, 2022, 9:15:31 PM6/13/22
On Monday, 13 June 2022 at 16:05:55 UTC+10, Clocky wrote:
> On 13/06/2022 1:50 pm, Noddy wrote:

> >> Magnificent creatures, great pics.
> >
> > Ditto.
> >
> >> Living in Bacchus Marsh all I have to do is look up to see birds like
> >> that, there were 2 very large Wedge Tails and a hawk circling above my
> >> mates workshop last week and if I look out my backyard I often see a
> >> pair of Australian Little Eagles flying around:-)
> >> We had a group of Red-browed Firetails and some Fairy Wrens in my
> >> backyard last week, the male wrens are very bright blue so you can't
> >> miss them.
> >
> > Same here.
> >
> > We
> <snip all too convenient "me too" anecdote with extra topping for effect>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just another example of the fixation that`s got a strangle hold on the circle jerk.....Sad really. <FBG>

jonz@ nothere.com

Jun 13, 2022, 9:27:12 PM6/13/22
On Monday, 13 June 2022 at 20:47:39 UTC+10, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 13/06/2022 4:58 pm, Xeno wrote:
> > On 13/6/2022 3:03 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> >> A visit to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
> >>
> >> The bird show was spectacular.
> >>
> >> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NniWPhkfrmhPX7oaP?e=deA52U
> >
> > Have you given consideration to posting such things to *relevant*
> > newsgroups?
> > There are a few you know. Try;
> >
> > rec.animals.wildlife
> > rec.birds
> > uk.rec.birdwatching
> > alt.photography
> > aus.photo
> >
> > They might be interested. In case you hadn't noticed, aus.cars is a
> > newsgroup related to *cars* as well as being home for a self
> > aggrandising bullshit artist named Darren who fancies himself as a
> > mechanic and the king of aus.cars, fraudulently in both cases it has
> > to be said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nup, yer way too late!. Windscreens o' Ticcy beat ya to the punch. (*Punch* used metaphorically of course.)

John_H

Jun 14, 2022, 12:22:07 AM6/14/22
Great photos but the kite has me foxed. Do you happen to know which
of several varieties it's meant to be?

FWIW I would've picked it as a brown goshawk (the yellow eyes being
the clue).... https://tinyurl.com/44r4tnvz

--
John H

Clocky

Jun 14, 2022, 12:24:37 AM6/14/22
In your opinion. But why not post them to a photography page and let
quality photographers be the judge?

> Remember I clearly marked it OT. Deal with it.

It's still OT and you didn't post them anywhere else. Given the amount
of crap some people have copped for posting clearly marked OT stuff,
hell even on topic stuff it's clear there is a very high level of
hypocrisy on display here.

Deal with _that_.

Clocky

Jun 14, 2022, 12:26:40 AM6/14/22
LOL, now there is a massive lie!

Grumpy Tech

Jun 14, 2022, 1:09:18 AM6/14/22
I don't. I just heard them say it was a kite but no other information.
Even the owl was introduced as an owl rather than as a barn owl.
Looking at the photo's of the goshawk it really does look like that.

Yosemite Sam

Jun 14, 2022, 2:53:41 AM6/14/22
bigger lies get bigger attention?

keithr0

Jun 14, 2022, 3:59:35 AM6/14/22
On 13/06/2022 8:47 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 13/06/2022 4:58 pm, Xeno wrote:
>> On 13/6/2022 3:03 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>>> A visit to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
>>>
>>> The bird show was spectacular.
>>>
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NniWPhkfrmhPX7oaP?e=deA52U
>>
>> Have you given consideration to posting such things to *relevant*
>> newsgroups?
>> There are a few you know. Try;
>>
>> rec.animals.wildlife
>> rec.birds
>> uk.rec.birdwatching
>> alt.photography
>> aus.photo
>>
>> They might be interested. In case you hadn't noticed, aus.cars is a
>> newsgroup related to *cars* as well as being home for a self
>> aggrandising bullshit artist named Darren who fancies himself as a
>> mechanic and the king of aus.cars, fraudulently in both cases it has
>> to be said.
>>

> +1

Is there a group for one winged model planes and CGI trucks?

keithr0

Jun 14, 2022, 5:23:41 AM6/14/22
On 13/06/2022 4:05 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 13/06/2022 1:50 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Magnificent creatures, great pics.
>>
>> Ditto.
>>
>>> Living in Bacchus Marsh all I have to do is look up to see birds like
>>> that, there were 2 very large Wedge Tails and a hawk circling above
>>> my mates workshop last week and if I look out my backyard I often see
>>> a pair of Australian Little Eagles flying around:-)
>>> We had a group of Red-browed Firetails and some Fairy Wrens in my
>>> backyard last week, the male wrens are very bright blue so you can't
>>> miss them.
>>
>> Same here.
>>
>> We
>
> <snip all too convenient "me too" anecdote with extra topping for effect>
>
> :-)

You actually had some reason to post this?

John_H

Jun 14, 2022, 5:37:58 AM6/14/22
Grumpy Tech wrote:
>On 14/06/2022 2:22 pm, John_H wrote:
>> Grumpy Tech wrote:
>>>
>>> A visit to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
>>>
>>> The bird show was spectacular.
>>>
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NniWPhkfrmhPX7oaP?e=deA52U
>>
>> Great photos but the kite has me foxed. Do you happen to know which
>> of several varieties it's meant to be?
>>
>> FWIW I would've picked it as a brown goshawk (the yellow eyes being
>> the clue).... https://tinyurl.com/44r4tnvz
>>

>I don't. I just heard them say it was a kite but no other information.
>Even the owl was introduced as an owl rather than as a barn owl.

Think you'll find it's an Australian masked owl (which is darker
coloured than a barn owl) . :)

>Looking at the photo's of the goshawk it really does look like that.

The brown goshawk is relatively common where I am so I'm fairly
confident as to what it is. AFAIK no kite has yellow eyes.

--
John H

alvey

Jun 15, 2022, 4:41:44 PM6/15/22
Good cutout on the owl Gumps. What did you use?

alvey
Idle trivia. I spent about half a dozen school hols around 5 doors (and a
road) from the CBS (half-way between the CBS & the beach). It was so long
ago that entry was by a *voluntary* coin, *and* the Goldie was a 'safe'
place. Us teens could run wild 24/7. G-g-g-golden years...

Grumpy Tech

Jun 15, 2022, 6:25:25 PM6/15/22
On 16/06/2022 6:41 am, alvey wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:03:30 +1000, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>
>> A visit to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
>>
>> The bird show was spectacular.
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NniWPhkfrmhPX7oaP?e=deA52U
>
> Good cutout on the owl Gumps. What did you use?

Nothing. It's as shot. The area has a white shadesail cover which
provided a perfect backdrop for the shot. I was using a 70-200mm RF lens
at f3.5 which gave great bokeh. The only thing I did was crop the image
slightly to not show the edges of the shadesail.

Grumpy Tech

Jun 15, 2022, 6:36:34 PM6/15/22
On 16/06/2022 8:25 am, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 16/06/2022 6:41 am, alvey wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:03:30 +1000, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>>
>>> A visit to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
>>>
>>> The bird show was spectacular.
>>>
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NniWPhkfrmhPX7oaP?e=deA52U
>>
>> Good cutout on the owl Gumps. What did you use?
>>

> Nothing. It's as shot. The area has a white shadesail cover which
> provided a perfect backdrop for the shot. I was using a 70-200mm RF lens
> at f3.5 which gave great bokeh. The only thing I did was crop the image
> slightly to not show the edges of the shadesail.

Full image where you can see the shadesail background.

https://imgur.com/a/zt5Kdew

alvey

Jun 15, 2022, 7:44:16 PM6/15/22
On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:25:21 +1000, Grumpy Tech wrote:

> On 16/06/2022 6:41 am, alvey wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:03:30 +1000, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>>
>>> A visit to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
>>>
>>> The bird show was spectacular.
>>>
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NniWPhkfrmhPX7oaP?e=deA52U
>>
>> Good cutout on the owl Gumps. What did you use?
>>

> Nothing. It's as shot.

Cool. *Very* cool. Good lens.

> The area has a white shadesail cover which
> provided a perfect backdrop for the shot.

lol. Lucky I didn't comment that your choice of background was pretty shite
then!

> I was using a 70-200mm RF lens
> at f3.5 which gave great bokeh. The only thing I did was crop the image
> slightly to not show the edges of the shadesail.

And still on bird shows... If you're down here again, I'd recommend the
show at Crikey World (whatever Steve Irwins place is called) on the Sunny
Coast. Lots of assorted Black Cockatoos, and even the amazingly brainless
Rainbow Loris, doing cute & clever stuff. And outside the arena you can
take close-ups/selfies with various raptors.

But if you *really* want to go The Full Twitcher then O'Reillys Guest House
on top of Green Mountain (Behind the Goldie) is the place to go. Be warned
though, it is a seriously shithouse & dangerous road. There are 33 10kmh
corners, pretty much all of which are one lane and blind. Just ideal places
to meet tourist buses, roadworks trucks or crazed NSW fourbies.

alvey

Clocky

Jun 16, 2022, 2:12:54 AM6/16/22
On 16/06/2022 7:44 am, alvey wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:25:21 +1000, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>>> Good cutout on the owl Gumps. What did you use?
>>>

>> Nothing. It's as shot.
>
> Cool. *Very* cool. Good lens.
>
>> The area has a white shadesail cover which
>> provided a perfect backdrop for the shot.
>
> lol. Lucky I didn't comment that your choice of background was pretty shite
> then!
>
>> I was using a 70-200mm RF lens
>> at f3.5 which gave great bokeh. The only thing I did was crop the image
>> slightly to not show the edges of the shadesail.
>
> And still on bird shows... If you're down here again, I'd recommend the
> show at Crikey World (whatever Steve Irwins place is called) on the Sunny
> Coast. Lots of assorted Black Cockatoos, and even the amazingly brainless
> Rainbow Loris, doing cute & clever stuff.

We live in a biodiversity hotspot and get a lot of Carnaby Black
Cockatoos and see countless other species of birds right on out
property. A few of years ago our indoor cat was lazing on the window
sill inside the house when an Wedge Tail Eagle slid down the window in
an attempt to grab the cat. As it's talons screeched down the glass the
cat jumped a mile in the air and then pissbolted. Contemplating what had
just happened the eagle sat and stared at us for a few seconds then took
off. It was amazing.