Hyundai PITA

Daryl

Jun 5, 2022, 9:40:45 PM6/5/22
Been working on a 2010 i30 1.6lt CRDi wagon, original engine failed when
the turbo bearing failed which then filled the cylinders with oil
causing a hydraulic lock, it had done 266,000km.
The owner (mates neighbor) bought a SH engine from a 2012 model which
has done 116,000km.
We swapped the engines but can't get it to start due to a P0341 cam
sensor fault, to cut a very long story short after much research on
various forums turns out that the 2 engines have different cams, the old
engine has one lobe on the cam for the sensor, the new engine has 3.
Looks like the owner needs to buy the PCM/ECU to match the new engine or
swap the cams, at least my scan tool can reprogram the new PCM/ECU to
the car.

--
Daryl

Noddy

Jun 5, 2022, 9:52:48 PM6/5/22
On 6/06/2022 11:40 am, Daryl wrote:

> Been working on a 2010 i30 1.6lt CRDi wagon, original engine failed when
> the turbo bearing failed which then filled the cylinders with oil
> causing a hydraulic lock, it had done 266,000km.

Jeez. It must have dumped in a shit-tonne of oil. With flow rates that
high I'm surprised it didn't grab a bearing first :)

> The owner (mates neighbor) bought a SH engine from a 2012 model which
> has done 116,000km.
> We swapped the engines but can't get it to start due to a P0341 cam
> sensor fault, to cut a very long story short after much research on
> various forums turns out that the 2 engines have different cams, the old
> engine has one lobe on the cam for the sensor, the new engine has 3.
> Looks like the owner needs to buy the PCM/ECU to match the new engine or
> swap the cams, at least my scan tool can reprogram the new PCM/ECU to
> the car.

Sounds like a bit of a headache that the owner created for themselves by
not carrying out enough research.

Stand by for the barrage of "typical Hyundai" comments from the knobs
who wouldn't know one if one ran them over....

Regards,
Noddy.

Daryl

Jun 5, 2022, 10:35:59 PM6/5/22
On 6/6/2022 11:52 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/06/2022 11:40 am, Daryl wrote:
>
>> Been working on a 2010 i30 1.6lt CRDi wagon, original engine failed
>> when the turbo bearing failed which then filled the cylinders with oil
>> causing a hydraulic lock, it had done 266,000km.
>
> Jeez. It must have dumped in a shit-tonne of oil. With flow rates that
> high I'm surprised it didn't grab a bearing first :)

Haven't pulled it apart but there was at least .5lt of engine oil in the
turbo to intercooler pipe plus the owner said that it made a huge bang
so we assumed that it got enough oil into a cylinder to bend a conrod or
damage a piston, could be wrong but either way the engine is toast.

>> The owner (mates neighbor) bought a SH engine from a 2012 model which
>> has done 116,000km.
>> We swapped the engines but can't get it to start due to a P0341 cam
>> sensor fault, to cut a very long story short after much research on
>> various forums turns out that the 2 engines have different cams, the
>> old engine has one lobe on the cam for the sensor, the new engine has 3.
>> Looks like the owner needs to buy the PCM/ECU to match the new engine
>> or swap the cams, at least my scan tool can reprogram the new PCM/ECU
>> to the car.
>
> Sounds like a bit of a headache that the owner created for themselves by
> not carrying out enough research.

Seems that way although when you look at the 2 engines they look almost
identical so a very easy mistake to make, only visual difference is the
turbo is bigger and mounted higher plus the pipes to the heater are in
different locations.
I suspect that the wrecker he bought it from didn't know the difference
either.

> Stand by for the barrage of "typical Hyundai" comments from the knobs
> who wouldn't know one if one ran them over....

Only thing that matters is the owner loves it, says its incredibly
economical and has lots of torque for a relatively small engine.

--
Daryl

Noddy

Jun 5, 2022, 11:03:20 PM6/5/22
On 6/06/2022 12:35 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 6/6/2022 11:52 am, Noddy wrote:
>> On 6/06/2022 11:40 am, Daryl wrote:
>>
>>> Been working on a 2010 i30 1.6lt CRDi wagon, original engine failed
>>> when the turbo bearing failed which then filled the cylinders with
>>> oil causing a hydraulic lock, it had done 266,000km.
>>
>> Jeez. It must have dumped in a shit-tonne of oil. With flow rates that
>> high I'm surprised it didn't grab a bearing first :)
>
> Haven't pulled it apart but there was at least .5lt of engine oil in the
> turbo to intercooler pipe plus the owner said that it made a huge bang
> so we assumed that it got enough oil into a cylinder to bend a conrod or
> damage a piston, could be wrong but either way the engine is toast.

Sounds like it.

>> Sounds like a bit of a headache that the owner created for themselves
>> by not carrying out enough research.
>
> Seems that way although when you look at the 2 engines they look almost
> identical so a very easy mistake to make, only visual difference is the
> turbo is bigger and mounted higher plus the pipes to the heater are in
> different locations.
> I suspect that the wrecker he bought it from didn't know the difference
> either.

Possibly, and this is the problem with modern vehicles. The number of in
production updates is staggering these days, and it can play real havoc
in situations like these. You'll sometimes see it with some of the
larger wreckers who will offer parts for sale based on and engine or
chassis number range.

it can be a real minefield.

>> Stand by for the barrage of "typical Hyundai" comments from the knobs
>> who wouldn't know one if one ran them over....
>>

> Only thing that matters is the owner loves it, says its incredibly
> economical and has lots of torque for a relatively small engine.

When it's not dead :)

Clocky

Jun 5, 2022, 11:49:35 PM6/5/22
On 6/06/2022 9:40 am, Daryl wrote:
> Been working on a 2010 i30 1.6lt CRDi wagon, original engine failed when
> the turbo bearing failed which then filled the cylinders with oil
> causing a hydraulic lock, it had done 266,000km.

Jesus... that's low km's for such a catastrophic failure. I'd be making
sure the oil and filter are changed as per interval and the *correct*
oil is used, not whatever multigrade on special at Bursons that some
shonk has put in.

> The owner (mates neighbor) bought a SH engine from a 2012 model which
> has done 116,000km.
> We swapped the engines but can't get it to start due to a P0341 cam
> sensor fault, to cut a very long story short after much research on
> various forums turns out that the 2 engines have different cams, the old
> engine has one lobe on the cam for the sensor, the new engine has 3.
> Looks like the owner needs to buy the PCM/ECU to match the new engine or
> swap the cams, at least my scan tool can reprogram the new PCM/ECU to
> the car.

You sure? Good luck mate :-)

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Clocky

Jun 5, 2022, 11:51:46 PM6/5/22
"economical" point is rather moot when the engine blows up at such low km's.
How much was the engine?

Clocky

Jun 5, 2022, 11:53:39 PM6/5/22
"dubious Hyundai quality"

:-)

Daryl

Jun 11, 2022, 12:36:43 AM6/11/22
Not dead anymore, changed the cam, put it all back together and it fired
up straight away, owner very happy.

--
Daryl

Noddy