Tyres rubbing on guards

Nevo

Dec 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/23/96

Hi all,
Looking for some advice on tyre sizes.. I've been trying to
get some mag wheels for my LH torana. Found these drayways for a good
price with new eager tyres on them. Problem was they rubbed the guard
on the back wheels. Tyres were 205x60 on front and 225x65 on back, all
on 7" wide rims. Now, the back tyres only just nicked the lip of the
guard when the back of the car was pushed down. My question is, if the
rims were 6" instead of 7" would this pull the back tyres in enough to
clear the guards or would it make no difference at all? Tyre range for
13" rimms are a little limited and I really would like to go with
these tyres..

Thanks

Nevo

Anthony Gugel

Dec 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/24/96

As the tyres are the problem, going to 6 inch rims will not make a
difference. I don't think you can fit 225 tyres on a 6 inch rim anyhow.

Nevo <k...@bendigo.net.au> wrote in article
<32be743...@news.netconnect.com.au>...

Pendles

Dec 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/24/96

Nevo wrote:

> Hi all,
> Looking for some advice on tyre sizes.. I've been trying to
> get some mag wheels for my LH torana. Found these drayways for a good
> price with new eager tyres on them. Problem was they rubbed the guard
> on the back wheels. Tyres were 205x60 on front and 225x65 on back, all
> on 7" wide rims. Now, the back tyres only just nicked the lip of the
> guard when the back of the car was pushed down. My question is, if the
> rims were 6" instead of 7" would this pull the back tyres in enough to
> clear the guards or would it make no difference at all? Tyre range for
> 13" rimms are a little limited and I really would like to go with
> these tyres..

SNIP

Have you tried the fronts on the rear? The 225x65 are wider and have a
higher profile (tyre wall height). You may need to fit 205x60 all round
so that none of the tyres touch the body work.

What you need to look at when buying rims for a car is not only the
width but also the actual offset of the rims. Whislt a rim may be 7"
wide, the offset (where the hub sits in the rim) can alter how the rim
fits on the car. If you have a rim that has 4" offset to the inside,
that means only 3" are sticking out away from the car. A 1" offset to
the inside means the rim sticks out 6" and hence, it would be rubbing on
the guard.

Fitting a 6" tyre may help as you will be decreasing about .5 of an inch
on either side of the tyre and this may give you sufficient clearance.

Another possible way is to go for a lower profile tyre (50 series).
This
effectively lowers the distance of the tyre wall away from the guard
(not
by much though and generally, the lower the profile, the wider the tyre
so the tyre may stick out more as well).

The only other option is to flare the guards a little to assist with the
tyre clearing the bodywork.

Cheers

Pendles
--
_ Skilled Motorvehicle And Rider Training (S.M.A.R.T. -
N.T.)

Brett Anderson

Dec 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/28/96

Your problem is not the tyres, I had 245's on the back of my 74 LH . You
need to find wheels with the correct offset, moving more of the tyre to the
inside of the wheel well, instead of the outside. My car had Dragways too,
also Hotwires with the same tyres at one stage, so the wheels are available

--
Brett Anderson
Endurance BMW

Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email WILL be
charged
a $100 proof-reading fee. Do NOT send junk email to me - consider this an
official notice:

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the
definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful
to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C),
a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable by action to
recover
actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation."

> > Hi all,
> > Looking for some advice on tyre sizes.. I've been trying to
> > get some mag wheels for my LH torana. Found these drayways for a good
> > price with new eager tyres on them. Problem was they rubbed the guard
> > on the back wheels. Tyres were 205x60 on front and 225x65 on back, all
> > on 7" wide rims. Now, the back tyres only just nicked the lip of the
> > guard when the back of the car was pushed down. My question is, if the
> > rims were 6" instead of 7" would this pull the back tyres in enough to
> > clear the guards or would it make no difference at all? Tyre range for
> > 13" rimms are a little limited and I really would like to go with
> > these tyres..
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > Nevo

Nevo

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96

On Tue, 24 Dec 1996 00:30:08 -0800, Pendles <smar...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>Nevo wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> Looking for some advice on tyre sizes.. I've been trying to
>> get some mag wheels for my LH torana. Found these drayways for a good
>> price with new eager tyres on them. Problem was they rubbed the guard
>> on the back wheels. Tyres were 205x60 on front and 225x65 on back, all
>> on 7" wide rims. Now, the back tyres only just nicked the lip of the
>> guard when the back of the car was pushed down. My question is, if the
>> rims were 6" instead of 7" would this pull the back tyres in enough to
>> clear the guards or would it make no difference at all? Tyre range for
>> 13" rimms are a little limited and I really would like to go with
>> these tyres..
>

>SNIP
>
>Have you tried the fronts on the rear? The 225x65 are wider and have a
>higher profile (tyre wall height). You may need to fit 205x60 all round
>so that none of the tyres touch the body work.
>
>What you need to look at when buying rims for a car is not only the
>width but also the actual offset of the rims. Whislt a rim may be 7"
>wide, the offset (where the hub sits in the rim) can alter how the rim
>fits on the car. If you have a rim that has 4" offset to the inside,
>that means only 3" are sticking out away from the car. A 1" offset to
>the inside means the rim sticks out 6" and hence, it would be rubbing on
>the guard.

Yeah I was talking with the guy down the road, he has a torana with
16"x8" Simmonds on it which only have an offset outwards of 3 inches.
Therefore they fit under the rear guard( Shorted 9" helps as well;-)
But yeah.. I will have to just find the right mags to suit the job..

>Fitting a 6" tyre may help as you will be decreasing about .5 of an inch
>on either side of the tyre and this may give you sufficient clearance.
>
>Another possible way is to go for a lower profile tyre (50 series).
>This
>effectively lowers the distance of the tyre wall away from the guard
>(not
>by much though and generally, the lower the profile, the wider the tyre
>so the tyre may stick out more as well).
>
>The only other option is to flare the guards a little to assist with the
>tyre clearing the bodywork.

Thanks

Robin Marshall

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

Brett Anderson (bre...@webspan.net) wrote:
>Your problem is not the tyres, I had 245's on the back of my 74 LH . You
>need to find wheels with the correct offset, moving more of the tyre to the
>inside of the wheel well, instead of the outside. My car had Dragways too,
>also Hotwires with the same tyres at one stage, so the wheels are available

True. I run 14x7 265s under the back of my LX, using centerline mags.

Robin.

--

Robin A Marshall.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

- Nathaniel Lee on being consigned to a mental institution,
circa 17th c.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Robin Marshall

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

Robin Marshall (ro...@cq-pan.cqu.edu.au) wrote:
>Brett Anderson (bre...@webspan.net) wrote:
>>Your problem is not the tyres, I had 245's on the back of my 74 LH . You
>>need to find wheels with the correct offset, moving more of the tyre to the
>>inside of the wheel well, instead of the outside. My car had Dragways too,
>>also Hotwires with the same tyres at one stage, so the wheels are available

>True. I run 14x7 265s under the back of my LX, using centerline mags.

>Robin.

BTW, the front runs 245, and both front and back are 50 profile.

bye for now

Robin