Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

windscreen repair or replacement

197 views
Skip to first unread message

lindsay

unread,
Jan 15, 2024, 11:26:21 PMJan 15
to
All:

my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I presume
they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double whatever
their invoice is.

Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...

cheers.

Daryl

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 12:01:00 AMJan 16
to
Best to deal with it asap if it isn't already too late since you noticed
a crack.
Best to call your insurance co and see what they say, the dealer is very
likely to just call a windscreen "expert", unlikely that they would fix
it themselves.

--
Daryl

Noddy

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 12:32:04 AMJan 16
to
Had the windscreen replaced in our Santa Fe a couple of months ago after
a truck kicked up a rock on the Western Highway one morning while the
wife was heading into the office. Like you we have glass cover on the
insurance policy, and because the car has adaptive cruise with a radar
unit looking out the top of the screen behind the rear view mirror the
unit needs to be calibrated. Unfortunately that means the windscreen
can't be replaced "on site" as the calibration equipment isn't mobile.

I was given two options: Windscreen O'brien in Brooklyn, or National
Windscreens in Essendon which were the two closest repairers. I went to
Brooklyn (only because there were tool and welding shops next door and
it gave me a chance to drop some coin :), and it took around an hour to
do all up.

You can try calling your Ford dealer but I don't believe they carry the
necessary calibration equipment. I also don't expect that if you're
claiming it through your insurance the insurer would be keen to pick up
the dealership bill even if they did.




--
--
--
Regards,
Noddy.

Clocky

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 2:26:36 AMJan 16
to
Contact your insurer and see what they say and follow their process.
Dealers can do the calibration as can any other shop that has a scan
tool capable of putting the system into calibration mode.

There is a slight chance that you might run into issues if your
suspension has been raised.


--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Mighty Mouse

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 2:44:46 AMJan 16
to
Clocky wrote:
> On 16/01/2024 12:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> my windscreen has had a couple of small stone chips, and as I was
>> sitting in the pax seat, I noticed one on the pax side has developed
>> into a crack about 1 centimetre long. I have glass cover with my
>> insurance, so whats the process? Ring them and follow their
>> instructions? I'd like Ford to do in on it's next service, but I
>> presume they just get Windscreens O'brien in, and then charge double
>> whatever their invoice is.
>>
>> Just want to make sure everything is properly calibrated 'n all...
>>
>> cheers.
>
>
> Contact your insurer and see what they say and follow their process.
> Dealers can do the calibration as can any other shop that has a scan
> tool capable of putting the system into calibration mode.
>
> There is a slight chance that you might run into issues if your
> suspension has been raised.
>
>

what has to be calibrated for a windscreen?

--
Have a nice day!..


Xeno

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 3:39:31 AMJan 16
to
If *anyone* is likely to have the calibration equipment, it will be the
Ford Dealer.

> claiming it through your insurance the insurer would be keen to pick up
> the dealership bill even if they did.
>
You have every right to have that windscreen attended to by the dealer.

--
Xeno


Nothing astonishes Noddy so much as common sense and plain dealing.
(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Xeno

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 3:48:59 AMJan 16
to
https://www.autoglass.ie/adas-windscreen-calibration/

Windscreens ain't just windscreens no more Sol!

Mighty Mouse

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 6:41:13 AMJan 16
to
so it seems.! I'm glad the ZS doesn't have any of that garbage

Xeno

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 6:53:26 AMJan 16
to
It probably does! Most cars seem to have *some* ADAS stuff in them these
days.

Mighty Mouse

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 7:13:16 AMJan 16
to
I mean, I'm sure it doesn't have anything in the windscreen. and it only
has traction control, nothing else such as lane assist, auto braking, etc.,

Xeno

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 8:00:19 AMJan 16
to
Rain sensors, windscreen heaters, light sensors, heads up displays, all
can form part of ADAS systems. Got auto wipers, ie. rain sensing?

Mighty Mouse

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 8:06:18 AMJan 16
to
no

> windscreen heaters,

no

> light sensors,

on top of the dashboard

> heads up displays,

no

> all can form part of ADAS systems. Got auto wipers, ie. rain sensing?
>

nope!

Clocky

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 4:59:30 PMJan 16
to
Not as part of the windscreen I don't think. Those MG's seem to employ
the KISS principle which keeps cost down but no doubt also helps with
reliability.

Trevor Wilson

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 6:34:47 PMJan 16
to
On 16/01/2024 3:25 pm, lindsay wrote:
**Not really anything to do with your issue, but I had a 5cm crack in my
VP Commodore windscreen. I purchased some of the stuff to fix it. The
stuff came with a clear warning not to attempt to repair a crack any
longer than 2cm. I didn't carry comprehensive insurance on the VP. I
thought: "Fuck it. I'll do it anyway. I don't want spend 400 Bucks."

The stuff worked a treat. Fixed the crack and all was good for about a
year. Then a tree fell on the Commodore.

Weirdly, I called it a win.

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Mighty Mouse

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 7:22:09 PMJan 16
to
the ZST is the upgraded version with all the bells and whistles ..
https://mgmotor.com.au/models/mg-zst/

Noddy

unread,
Jan 16, 2024, 11:30:47 PMJan 16
to
In both respects :)

Trevor Wilson

unread,
Jan 17, 2024, 6:22:55 PMJan 17
to
**More than you could imagine. I sold the alloy wheels/tyres and towbar,
cashed in the rego and insurance. Then I sold the wreck to a guy who
just wanted the climate control, so he could fit it to his VP, which
only had regular air-con. After the dust had settled, I had about
$1,000.00 in my pocket, which I reckon was about the second hand value
of the car.

Had I spent the $400.00 on a new windscreen (which everyone told me I
should do), I would have been pissed off.

Noddy

unread,
Jan 17, 2024, 7:30:11 PMJan 17
to
I would have been too. Sometimes things work out in your favour in ways
that you would least expect them to.

Trevor Wilson

unread,
Jan 18, 2024, 2:28:36 PMJan 18
to
**I did engage in a little hyperbole though. It wasn't a tree that fell
on my car. It was a branch from a tree. The road I live on is a regular
two lane road, with parking on each side. So, wide enough for four
lanes. I was sitting eating my evening meal, when there was a loud crash
outside. A couple of minutes later, the doorbell rang. A neighbour came
to the front door to tell me that he thought my car was damaged. I
looked out and said "yep". Then I sat down to finish my meal. My partner
asked me if I was going to do anything about the car. I told her that
with what I estimated to be a 2 ~ 3 Tonne branch crushing the Commodore
and blocking all four lanes of the road: "Nothing." It was a fucking big
branch. It fell mostly along the length of the car, causing the roof to
cave in by around 500mm. The rest of the branch went across the road and
onto the other footpath. Eventually some guys in fluoro jackets turned
up with chainsaws and removed the branch. Took them a couple of hours.
Tree surgeon guy reckons that the cause of the tree fault was down to
the idiots who trim trees away from power lines. They did a bad job,
which allowed rot to set into the branch.

Noddy

unread,
Jan 18, 2024, 7:24:37 PMJan 18
to
Sometimes you can just be unlucky.

These pics were doing the rounds in a Facebook group a little while ago:

> https://ibb.co/DwVQpds

> https://ibb.co/XVpNhhj

The back story is that this old truck was apparently parked in the
street outside the owner's house in Idaho in the US when a massive wind
storm unexpectedly blew up and made a mess of the neighbourhood
including blowing over this huge tree which destroyed the old pickup.
And as a result, the value of every other surviving 1956 Ford F-100
increased slighty due to their being one less in existence.

Clocky

unread,
Jan 19, 2024, 10:27:43 AMJan 19
to
Mother nature doing what should have been done decades ago :-)

lindsay

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 2:28:29 AMJan 21
to
On 18/01/2024 11:30 am, Noddy wrote:
firm believer of that... i was going to ring AMMI and follow their
instructions to do the windscreen one way or the other. Got a bit on...
going up the block for the Aus day weekend with the boys, but i'll be
there for 10 days.

I received my insurance bill from AMMI which expires late February.
And it's increased $350, whilst dropping the agreed value to $54,000.

Seems insurance is a gamble on risk, a gamble insurance co's have been
losing on natural disasters like the fires in Vic and NSW, and the
floods further north.

Oh well, when I get back, I'll ring AMMI and get the screen sorted, and
then find other insurance elsewhere.

>
>

Mighty Mouse

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 3:16:55 AMJan 21
to
I'm guessing you're over 50, so you can insure with APIA. they have the
cheapest rates.

Noddy

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 4:00:56 AMJan 21
to
On 21/01/2024 6:28 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 18/01/2024 11:30 am, Noddy wrote:
>> On 18/01/2024 10:22 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Had I spent the $400.00 on a new windscreen (which everyone told me I
>>> should do), I would have been pissed off.
>>
>> I would have been too. Sometimes things work out in your favour in
>> ways that you would least expect them to.
>
> firm believer of that... i was going to ring AMMI and follow their
> instructions to do the windscreen one way or the other. Got a bit on...
> going up the block for the Aus day weekend with the boys, but i'll be
> there for 10 days.
>
> I received my insurance bill from AMMI which expires late February.
> And it's increased $350, whilst dropping the agreed value to $54,000.

Fucking hell. All insurers have been bumping their premiums over the
last couple of years, but 350 bucks in one go is massive. I'd be looking
around.

> Seems insurance is a gamble on risk, a gamble insurance co's have been
> losing on natural disasters like the fires in Vic and NSW, and the
> floods further north.

Yeah, but that's *their* problem. They gamble on the risk as you say,
but these days they use the average punter to write off the loss.

> Oh well, when I get back, I'll ring AMMI and get the screen sorted, and
> then find other insurance elsewhere.

I can recommend Shannons as being decent to deal with, but *Jesus* are
they expensive.

Daryl

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 4:33:07 AMJan 21
to
Certainly not cheap but we found out recently that they give pretty good
discounts if you own lots of cars, Les has all the cars and trailers
insured with Shannons including theft on the race cars, after he got the
cheap Falcon ute he rang them to insure it and they added it to his
policy and sent him a refund simply because he had so many vehicles insured.
Shannons was also the only insurer that I can find that offers a real
agreed value, several others I spoke to when I bought the Boxster said
that had "agreed value" but the numbers they quoted was $10k less than
what the car is really worth.

--
Daryl

Noddy

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 5:09:12 AMJan 21
to
Yeah, they're pretty good with that stuff.

We've been with them since we moved out here as they're one of the few
insurers who will cover everything. As well as regular stuff like house
& contents and vehicles, they also do outbuildings, tools, non
registered vehicles like tractors and ride ons, "enthusiast" items, etc,
etc. For the most part I've been happy with them and they've responded
quickly and professionally for the few claims we've made, but they were
completely cunty about one claim which they rejected, which was for
house damage as a result of the earthquake we had here a couple of years
ago.

I was sitting here and watched the plaster crack as it happened, but
after sending an engineer out to assess the place they claimed it was
"normal house movement" and not their problem which was total bullshit.
They did the same thing with two other people in the area who suffered
similar damage, and the general gist is that Shannons has recently
changed hands and the new owners aren't as keen to cooperate as the
previous ones.

As I said they're expensive. We pay close to 8 thousand bucks a year for
everything, and for that kind of money I don't expect them to argue.
I've looked around for alternatives, but there isn't a hell of a lot out
there.

Daryl

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 6:24:35 AMJan 21
to
Seems to be a common theme with house insurers, we had a burst water
pipe under the old house which caused some damage, I estimate that there
was about $10k worth of repairs needed and I think that AAMI spent
nearly that much in an effort to deny our claim, "engineers" came to the
house 3 times with an expensive looking machine that measured the floor
levels plus another builder also came, in the end all that they would
pay barely covered the excess cost plus a little towards the repairs
that I did myself, IMHO they behaved like utter cunts to save themselves
bugger all.
New house is insured with RACV, haven't had a claim so I don't know what
they are like to deal with but I can't imagine that they could be worse
than AAMI.
>
> As I said they're expensive. We pay close to 8 thousand bucks a year for
> everything, and for that kind of money I don't expect them to argue.
> I've looked around for alternatives, but there isn't a hell of a lot out
> there.
>

Wife's Golf is insured with Alliance, when it was sideswiped late last
year we made a claim, took it to a repairer of our choice (son's mate)
and it was fixed in less than 2 weeks with zero fuss plus a rental car
supplied for 10 days.
Knowing the repairer made a huge difference to how quickly it was fixed
plus he did an excellent job.

--
Daryl

Noddy

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 7:42:58 AMJan 21
to
On 21/01/2024 10:24 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 21/1/2024 9:09 pm, Noddy wrote:


>
> Seems to be a common theme with house insurers, we had a burst water
> pipe under the old house which caused some damage, I estimate that there
> was about $10k worth of repairs needed and I think that AAMI spent
> nearly that much in an effort to deny our claim, "engineers" came to the
> house 3 times with an expensive looking machine that measured the floor
> levels plus another builder also came, in the end all that they would
> pay barely covered the excess cost plus a little towards the repairs
> that I did myself, IMHO they behaved like utter cunts to save themselves
> bugger all.
> New house is insured with RACV, haven't had a claim so I don't know what
> they are like to deal with but I can't imagine that they could be worse
> than AAMI.

Yeah, there needs to be a massive shake up of the insurance industry in
this country. There was a story in the paper early this week or last
week about insurers dragging their feet on claims people have made for
flood damage that have been going on for over a year.

That's fucking bullshit.

The chick around the corner from me, who is also insured with Shannons,
also made a claim for quake damage after her house had the floor drop
20mm in some parts (she's on stumps). They sent out this Indian dude who
claimed to be an "Australian qualified earthquake expert" (fucked if I
know where you go in this country to get that ticket :) and after
climbing around under her house for around 10 minutes he stated that
there was no quake damage but in fact her problem was caused by water
under her house upsetting the stumps.

The only trouble was that there was no water under her house, and what
he *thought* looked like wet soil was actually scouria that was left
behind by the plumbers when they built the house a decade ago. Fucking
idiot. She had a video she took at the time of water sloshing out the
overflow of her tank while the tank was shaking with the ground
movement, but they wouldn't have it.

alvey

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 3:22:30 PMJan 21
to
Mighty Mouse wrote:
> lindsay wrote:

>
> I'm guessing you're over 50, so you can insure with APIA. they have the
> cheapest rates.

Is that "over 50" age or iq? It's a key question for Loons...


alvey


Daryl

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 4:15:36 PMJan 21
to
On 21/1/2024 11:42 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 21/01/2024 10:24 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 21/1/2024 9:09 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>
>>
>> Seems to be a common theme with house insurers, we had a burst water
>> pipe under the old house which caused some damage, I estimate that
>> there was about $10k worth of repairs needed and I think that AAMI
>> spent nearly that much in an effort to deny our claim, "engineers"
>> came to the house 3 times with an expensive looking machine that
>> measured the floor levels plus another builder also came, in the end
>> all that they would pay barely covered the excess cost plus a little
>> towards the repairs that I did myself, IMHO they behaved like utter
>> cunts to save themselves bugger all.
>> New house is insured with RACV, haven't had a claim so I don't know
>> what they are like to deal with but I can't imagine that they could be
>> worse than AAMI.
>
> Yeah, there needs to be a massive shake up of the insurance industry in
> this country. There was a story in the paper early this week or last
> week about insurers dragging their feet on claims people have made for
> flood damage that have been going on for over a year.
>
> That's fucking bullshit.

It is and what makes it worse is they spend a lot of money denying legit
claims.
At one point both my sons worked for a company that did a lot of work
for AAMI mostly regarding electrical repairs after power surges etc,
they both said that there was a huge amount of people trying to screw
over the insurance co such as claiming that their TV was faulty after a
power surge took out their fridge even if it tested OK, sometimes AAMI
would just replace everything and sometimes not.
My arc welder came for a insurance claim, I think it had some minor
smoke damage after a fire, it cleaned up and works perfectly fine but
AAMI just replaced it.
There often doesn't seem to be any common sense reasons for the way they
operate, sometimes they just agree to claims that should be denied but
on the other hand they deny obviously legit claims.

>
> The chick around the corner from me, who is also insured with Shannons,
> also made a claim for quake damage after her house had the floor drop
> 20mm in some parts (she's on stumps). They sent out this Indian dude who
> claimed to be an "Australian qualified earthquake expert" (fucked if I
> know where you go in this country to get that ticket :)

LOL.

and after
> climbing around under her house for around 10 minutes he stated that
> there was no quake damage but in fact her problem was caused by water
> under her house upsetting the stumps.
>
> The only trouble was that there was no water under her house, and what
> he *thought* looked like wet soil was actually scouria that was left
> behind by the plumbers when they built the house a decade ago. Fucking
> idiot. She had a video she took at the time of water sloshing out the
> overflow of her tank while the tank was shaking with the ground
> movement, but they wouldn't have it.
>

I made the mistake of not taking photos of the 4" deep water under my
house so I couldn't prove that it was flooded apart from the plumbers
bill to fix the pipe but I doubt that that would have changed their mind.
Its not as if there isn't any evidence that there was an earthquake.

--
Daryl

Computer Nerd Kev

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 4:29:11 PMJan 21
to
On the topic, I recently noticed a hazy corner of the windscreen on
my car which seems to be delamination. I guess repair isn't an
option for that, so it's a question of how far one can let it go?
Only 3rd party insurance, so I'll be paying the bill.

Last time it was replaced they left on painter's tape around the
perimeter which damaged the paint when I pulled it off.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Trevor Wilson

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 4:57:21 PMJan 21
to
**Depends. For the Levorg, Shannons was expensive, but for the Stagea,
they were cheap. A couple of things about Shannons:

* You speak to Aussies when you call them and you rarely have to wait long.
* I have my home insurance with Shannons and I had to make a claim after
a lightning strike nuked a whole bunch of electronic equipment. t could
not have gone more smoothly and easily. Shannons was an absolute delight
to deal with.
* They negotiate prices. When Shannons quoted me $100.00 more for home
insurance than NRMA, they called me back and beat the NRMA price by
$100.00.
* When I was dealing with Shannons for my Stagea insurance, the guy I
spoke with owned a Stagea. We spoke for ages about the delights of
owning a Stagea.

YOUI is the worst insurance company on the planet. NEVER have anything
to do with those fucking time-wasters.

Mighty Mouse

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 6:37:01 PMJan 21
to
yep, and AAMI. it's a fair bet that any insurance company advertising
extensively on TV and radio is not good.

> NEVER have anything to do with those fucking time-wasters.
>


--
Have a nice day!..


Keithr0

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 6:39:33 PMJan 21
to
On 22/01/2024 7:57 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> YOUI is the worst insurance company on the planet. NEVER have anything
> to do with those fucking time-wasters.

I tried them when I first got the MX-5, not only did they want detail
about everything (like what I had for breakfast, when did I fart last),
but they wanted to insure everything I had. They weren't interested in
just the MX-5 so I gave them the bums rush.

Noddy

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 6:55:58 PMJan 21
to
On 22/01/2024 8:57 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 21/01/2024 8:00 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> I can recommend Shannons as being decent to deal with, but *Jesus* are
>> they expensive.
>>
>
> **Depends. For the Levorg, Shannons was expensive, but for the Stagea,
> they were cheap. A couple of things about Shannons:

Shannons are far and away the most expensive insurer I've ever used, but
as I said they're one of the few that cover everything.

> * You speak to Aussies when you call them and you rarely have to wait long.
> * I have my home insurance with Shannons and I had to make a claim after
> a lightning strike nuked a whole bunch of electronic equipment. t could
> not have gone more smoothly and easily. Shannons was an absolute delight
> to deal with.

As it happens I've just got back from from dropping off some eggs &
having a cup of coffee with the woman around the corner I was talking
about last night , and she was telling me about her latest dealings with
Shannons. They have a relatively new granny flat in their yard that was
built for her mum after her dad passed away, and a week or so ago the
mum had an incident with her font loading washing machine that
completely flooded the flat. Water in every room, carpets and skirting
boards destroyed, plaster repairs needed, etc. A real mess.

They called Shannons who sent an assessor out the next morning, who
himself organised tradies to be on site that afternoon who removed the
carpet and drilled drainage holes in the skirts and floors which will
all be replaced as soon as it dries out, and they already have the
repair work set to go as soon as the place is dry enough to get started.

Excellent service and both the Mum & daughter are very happy which is a
complete turn around after their claim refusal for earthquake damage :)

> * They negotiate prices. When Shannons quoted me $100.00 more for home
> insurance than NRMA, they called me back and beat the NRMA price by
> $100.00.
> * When I was dealing with Shannons for my Stagea insurance, the guy I
> spoke with owned a Stagea. We spoke for ages about the delights of
> owning a Stagea.

That's something that you would be happy about. I couldn't give a crap :)

I've always found Shannons to be great when it comes to classic car
insurance. Years ago when I restored my WWII Jeep I called them for
insurance and they put a "book" value on it of 20 grand (I think) which
according to the guy on the phone seemed "light". He said it was hard to
put a price on the thing because they'd never actually insured one
before and thought the value set by the computer was way too soft. So he
asked if I could bring it in for them to eyeball and make a real,
genuine assessment, which I did.

At that stage it wasn't registered so I had to trailer it from my place
in Altona to their assessment centre which I think was in Moorabbin or
therabouts, and they put it up on their 4 post hoist, went all over it
including taking pics of various parts and concluded that the computer
generated value was completely wrong and doubled the value for no
additional premium cost.

> YOUI is the worst insurance company on the planet. NEVER have anything
> to do with those fucking time-wasters.

I think you could say the exact same thing about every insurer on the
planet. I've heard people say AAMI were the worst pack of thieving cunts
in existence and that they would rather set themselves on fire than have
anything to do with them, but I was with them for years and had nothing
but exceptional service from them.

Noddy

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 7:05:42 PMJan 21
to
On 22/01/2024 8:15 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 21/1/2024 11:42 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>> Yeah, there needs to be a massive shake up of the insurance industry
>> in this country. There was a story in the paper early this week or
>> last week about insurers dragging their feet on claims people have
>> made for flood damage that have been going on for over a year.
>>
>> That's fucking bullshit.
>
> It is and what makes it worse is they spend a lot of money denying legit
> claims.

Yep. There definitely needs to be a government watchdog with some teeth.

> At one point both my sons worked for a company that did a lot of work
> for AAMI mostly regarding electrical repairs after power surges etc,
> they both said that there was a huge amount of people trying to screw
> over the insurance co such as claiming that their TV was faulty after a
> power surge took out their fridge even if it tested OK, sometimes AAMI
> would just replace everything and sometimes not.
> My arc welder came for a insurance claim, I think it had some minor
> smoke damage after a fire, it cleaned up and works perfectly fine but
> AAMI just replaced it.
> There often doesn't seem to be any common sense reasons for the way they
> operate, sometimes they just agree to claims that should be denied but
> on the other hand they deny obviously legit claims.

Yeah, I've seen that before as well. I don't know whether they make
their payout decisions based on the legitimacy of the incident itself,
or their perceived character assessment of the person making the claim.

>> The only trouble was that there was no water under her house, and what
>> he *thought* looked like wet soil was actually scouria that was left
>> behind by the plumbers when they built the house a decade ago. Fucking
>> idiot. She had a video she took at the time of water sloshing out the
>> overflow of her tank while the tank was shaking with the ground
>> movement, but they wouldn't have it.
>>
>
> I made the mistake of not taking photos of the 4" deep water under my
> house so I couldn't prove that it was flooded apart from the plumbers
> bill to fix the pipe but I doubt that that would have changed their mind.
> Its not as if there isn't any evidence that there was an earthquake.

It gave us a pretty good shaking.

This video was recorded from inside my shed at the time. It doesn't look
like a lot of movement as the camera is mounted to the shed frame, but
the lights move with inertia :)

> https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xvv-2rSId6A

It was way worse in the house as the house is on a waffle slab and it
felt like it was sliding around all over the place. I was sitting here
in my office at the time and had a cup of coffee sitting on the desk,
and the movement was enough for the coffee to spill out of the cup. I
could also see plaster crack and dust come out of the new cracks as they
broke open. The house actually moved that much that I thought it would
damage underground water and power connections.

When I rang Shannons they asked if any pictures fell off the wall onto
the floor. I said "No", and asked how that was relevant to anything and
she replied that that was their measure of severity. If you didn't lose
any hanging pics then it wasn't severe enough to do damage.

I asked her how do they measure severity in cases where you *had* no
wall hangings and she didn't have an answer.

Fucking moron :)

Noddy

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 7:17:39 PMJan 21
to
On 22/01/2024 8:28 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> On the topic, I recently noticed a hazy corner of the windscreen on
> my car which seems to be delamination. I guess repair isn't an
> option for that, so it's a question of how far one can let it go?
> Only 3rd party insurance, so I'll be paying the bill.

How far you can *legally* let it go would depend on the roadworthy
requirements in your state or territory. Generally defective glass is a
roadworthy red flag, and to be legal it needs to be replaced. If you're
not bothered by legal stuff then how long you leave it is entirely up to
you.

*Just be careful that the outer plastic layer doesn't start to peel :)

> Last time it was replaced they left on painter's tape around the
> perimeter which damaged the paint when I pulled it off.

I presume you took that up with the glass people and got them to repair
the damage?

*an "In" joke. One of the group's resident automotive experts believed
that the plastic used in laminated windscreens was on the *outside* of
the glass which told anyone with half a brain that after all his chest
beating about how good he is he had never *once* in his many years of
being a "licensed tradesman" performed a glass inspection as part of a
roadworthiness test :)

Yep. He really did believe that, and to highlight just how ridiculously
comical it is, this is a guy who continually blurts about the benefits
of trade licensing systems as being necessary to "weed the shonks" out
of the system.

I'm not kidding. You couldn't make this shit up if you *wanted* to :)

Mighty Mouse

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 7:33:51 PMJan 21
to
Keithr0 wrote:
> On 22/01/2024 7:57 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
>> YOUI is the worst insurance company on the planet. NEVER have
>> anything to do with those fucking time-wasters.
>
> I tried them when I first got the MX-5, not only did they want detail
> about everything

that's because their rates are based on car how you use the car, more so
than other insurers. they advertise this.

> (like what I had for breakfast, when did I fart last), but they wanted
> to insure everything I had. They weren't interested in just the MX-5
> so I gave them the bums rush.
>


Xeno

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 8:19:00 PMJan 21
to
On 22/1/2024 11:05 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 22/01/2024 8:15 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 21/1/2024 11:42 pm, Noddy wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, there needs to be a massive shake up of the insurance industry
>>> in this country. There was a story in the paper early this week or
>>> last week about insurers dragging their feet on claims people have
>>> made for flood damage that have been going on for over a year.
>>>
>>> That's fucking bullshit.
>>
>> It is and what makes it worse is they spend a lot of money denying
>> legit claims.
>
> Yep. There definitely needs to be a government watchdog with some teeth.

Especially with the shonky tradesmen in Victoria who fake their trade
qualifications.


----
Xeno


Nothing astonishes Noddy so much as common sense and plain dealing.
(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Xeno

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 8:22:23 PMJan 21
to
On 22/1/2024 10:55 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 22/01/2024 8:57 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 21/01/2024 8:00 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> I can recommend Shannons as being decent to deal with, but *Jesus*
>>> are they expensive.
>>>
>>
>> **Depends. For the Levorg, Shannons was expensive, but for the Stagea,
>> they were cheap. A couple of things about Shannons:
>
> Shannons are far and away the most expensive insurer I've ever used, but
> as I said they're one of the few that cover everything.
>
>> * You speak to Aussies when you call them and you rarely have to wait
>> long.
>> * I have my home insurance with Shannons and I had to make a claim
>> after a lightning strike nuked a whole bunch of electronic equipment.
>> t could not have gone more smoothly and easily. Shannons was an
>> absolute delight to deal with.
>
> As it happens I've just got back from from dropping off some eggs &
> having a cup of coffee with the woman around the corner I was talking
> about last night , and she was telling me about her latest dealings with
> Shannons. They have a relatively new granny flat in their yard that was

Warning!!!! A made up on the spot bullshit story alert!!!!

<snipped bullshit>

Keithr0

unread,
Jan 21, 2024, 11:37:18 PMJan 21
to
Never had a problem with AAMI. When my office got flooded in a storm, it
took a couple of phone calls and they paid up in a couple of weeks, they
actually paid out more than I was expecting. When my Corolla was rear
ended in Sydney, it was fixed quickly and efficiently, they even paid
the taxi fare to drop it off and collect it. When I got a broken
windscreen on the Forester, O'Briens were came round the next morning.

Daryl

unread,
Jan 22, 2024, 12:13:53 AMJan 22
to
> \
That's not been my experience with Youi, I had a minor accident in the
Hilux on a Saturday afternoon, I called to report the accident and they
did the claim over the phone on the spot, able to choose my own repairer
which I did, car was fixed in less than a week.
Very happy with the overall experience so much so that I switched the MB
to Youi from Budget Direct.
We always used AAMI for home and car insurance but after one bad home
claim experience and more than 3mths to fix the WRX after a crash I
won't use them again.

--
Daryl

Daryl

unread,
Jan 22, 2024, 12:16:25 AMJan 22
to
On 22/1/2024 10:55 am, Noddy wrote:
Agree, most people seem to have had good and bad experiences with
insurance claims.

--
Daryl

Keithr0

unread,
Jan 22, 2024, 12:18:04 AMJan 22
to
On 21/01/2024 7:00 pm, Noddy wrote:

> I can recommend Shannons as being decent to deal with, but *Jesus* are
> they expensive.
>
These days Shannons is owned by Suncorp as are AAMI, GIO, Bingle, APIA,
Vero, AA, and several others.

Daryl

unread,
Jan 22, 2024, 12:22:07 AMJan 22
to
On 22/1/2024 11:05 am, Noddy wrote:
LOL, I remember standing next our kitchen bench when it happened and
having to hang onto the bench so I didn't fall.
I remember thinking that it was going to cause a huge amount of damage
but I couldn't find any, I guess the extra $60,000 worth of concrete in
the 59 piers the house sits on was worth it:-)

--
Daryl

Fred

unread,
Jan 22, 2024, 1:51:20 AMJan 22
to
Noddy wrote:


>
> *an "In" joke. One of the group's resident automotive experts believed
> that the plastic used in laminated windscreens was on the *outside* of
> the glass which told anyone with half a brain that after all his chest
> beating about how good he is he had never *once* in his many years of
> being a "licensed tradesman" performed a glass inspection as part of a
> roadworthiness test :)
>
> Yep. He really did believe that, and to highlight just how ridiculously
> comical it is, this is a guy who continually blurts about the benefits
> of trade licensing systems as being necessary to "weed the shonks" out
> of the system.

Dear Pathetic,

Could you please explain what windscreen knowledge has to do with being
a qualified mechanic?

> I'm not kidding.

Correct! You're making a bigger dickhead of yourself than usual.

> You couldn't make this shit up if you *wanted* to :)

Said the buffoon who has "made shit up" about being a garage owner, drag
racer, international traveler, gourmet, hard man, millionaire, purchaser
of over 100 vehicles (as an unlicensed trader), multi-qualified, multi
property purchaser and a shedload more lies. Jeez! He's even a serial
liar about his own height!

Your not just a liar and a fool Fraudster. You're a coward as well. And
that's not an "in joke", it's common knowledge.




Xeno

unread,
Jan 22, 2024, 2:55:09 AMJan 22
to
On 22/1/2024 5:51 pm, Fred wrote:
> Noddy wrote:
>
>
>>
>> *an "In" joke. One of the group's resident automotive experts believed
>> that the plastic used in laminated windscreens was on the *outside* of
>> the glass which told anyone with half a brain that after all his chest
>&