OT Visit to Qld Air Museum yesterday. Ping Lindsay

Grumpy Tech

Jun 7, 2022, 6:13:16 PM6/7/22
Made the trip to the Qld Air museum yesterday where I was given a
personal tour by Keithr who was a wealth of knowledge and I certainly
appreciate him taking the time to show me around.

Here's some photo's I took. The F111 is really hard to get a good photo of.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NnXPdfQXUp8cRrL8K?e=3roLt6

The interesting plane for me was the Polish version of the Mig15 which
in comparison to any of the other fighter jets was tiny, and in
comparison to the F111 was a midget.

There's also an unusual helicopter that doesn't have a tail rotor.

Clocky

Jun 7, 2022, 6:33:03 PM6/7/22
Cool. We should stop by the next time we're in Queensland.

Daryl

Jun 7, 2022, 7:29:20 PM6/7/22
Great pics Grumpy, certainly well worth the visit.
Coincidentally I visited the air museum at Moorabbin Airport yesterday,
smaller collection than Qld but still interesting.

--
Daryl

Grumpy Tech

Jun 7, 2022, 7:57:25 PM6/7/22
It was definitely worth the visit though my back was complaining a fair
bit. I'd been out to Hughenden on the weekend (a 400km drive each way)
on a sunset and astrophotography tour. We took a Triton ute into the
bush to get to some of the locations and the seats are awful in those
combined with very rough bush tracks and I was feeling it... Probably
didn't help that my hire car while I am here is an MG3. They are just
awful, you would have to be an idiot to buy one...

Some of the shots from the sunset and astro shoot.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8Nnh7Mwr8Aw9kyEXfF?e=Vgi9Px

Daryl

Jun 7, 2022, 8:28:50 PM6/7/22
Brilliant pics.
Amazing what you see in the night sky when you get far enough away for
city light pollution.

--
Daryl

Noddy

Jun 7, 2022, 9:26:47 PM6/7/22
Nice. I'll tell you what though. If I had a P51 Mustang in my collection
it would be taking pride of place over everything else that was there,
rather than being jammed into the spot where it is.

Regards,
Noddy.

Yosemite Sam

Jun 7, 2022, 10:14:06 PM6/7/22
good photography

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

"So some infantile nonsense and running away again
I see. Your standard MO." -Clocky on Keefy

FUCK PUTIN!!

Daryl

Jun 7, 2022, 11:22:13 PM6/7/22
From what I can see the museum has a problem with indoor space, at
least the Mustang was indoors protected from the weather.
The Mustang is certainly an iconic aircraft but their dilemma is that so
many other aircraft are just as iconic and there is only so much space,
it was possible to get right up to the Mustang and walk around it.
Ideally all of the collection would be undercover but the cost would be
enormous.

--
Daryl

Noddy

Jun 7, 2022, 11:33:15 PM6/7/22
On 8/06/2022 1:22 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 8/6/2022 11:26 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> Here's some photo's I took. The F111 is really hard to get a good
>>> photo of.
>>>
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NnXPdfQXUp8cRrL8K?e=3roLt6
>>>
>>> The interesting plane for me was the Polish version of the Mig15
>>> which in comparison to any of the other fighter jets was tiny, and in
>>> comparison to the F111 was a midget.
>>>
>>> There's also an unusual helicopter that doesn't have a tail rotor.
>>
>> Nice. I'll tell you what though. If I had a P51 Mustang in my
>> collection it would be taking pride of place over everything else that
>> was there, rather than being jammed into the spot where it is.
>>

> From what I can see the museum has a problem with indoor space, at
> least the Mustang was indoors protected from the weather.
> The Mustang is certainly an iconic aircraft but their dilemma is that so
> many other aircraft are just as iconic and there is only so much space,

There's a lot of junk there, too. They obviously run their museum as
they see fit, but if it were mine I'd be having a mass cleanout and
getting rid of some shit like the ultralights which are just taking up
space.

> it was possible to get right up to the Mustang and walk around it.
> Ideally all of the collection would be undercover but the cost would be
> enormous.

Regards,
Noddy.

keithr0

Jun 8, 2022, 2:47:18 AM6/8/22
Unfortunately, it's not a P51, just a good replica.

Noddy

Jun 8, 2022, 3:48:30 AM6/8/22
Scrap it then :)

keithr0

Jun 8, 2022, 11:31:19 PM6/8/22
People like it.

Clocky

Jun 9, 2022, 1:45:06 AM6/9/22
Apart from a couple of rookie mistakes they're ok.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Clocky

Jun 9, 2022, 1:48:14 AM6/9/22
Noddy liked it, well until he knew it was as fake as his qualifications :-)

Grumpy Tech

Jun 9, 2022, 5:38:06 AM6/9/22
Of course we've all seen your expert photography demonstrated here
haven't we.

Yes they aren't perfect especially the aircraft ones. They were done as
quick snaps rather than taking the time to get everything perfect. It is
also not a perfect location to take photos with the amount of aircraft
crammed into a small space with pretty poor lighting. I am also not
using my normal editing program as I brought my travel laptop with me
and not the one I normally edit on which allows me much more ability to
adjust the images and has a calibrated screen.

It's easier to criticize someone than to do it and you have certainly
developed the ability to criticize over the last few years but have
shown none of your ability to do anything. It doesn't endear you to people.

Clocky

Jun 9, 2022, 9:04:02 AM6/9/22
I knew you'd bite :-) The photos are fine. Quite decent actually.

> Yes they aren't perfect especially the aircraft ones. They were done as
> quick snaps rather than taking the time to get everything perfect. It is
> also not a perfect location to take photos with the amount of aircraft
> crammed into a small space with pretty poor lighting. I am also not
> using my normal editing program as I brought my travel laptop with me
> and not the one I normally edit on which allows me much more ability to
> adjust the images and has a calibrated screen.
>
> It's easier to criticize someone than to do it and you have certainly
> developed the ability to criticize over the last few years but have
> shown none of your ability to do anything.

I have, to the only people that matter and count.

It doesn't endear you to people.

You get pretty cut up over nothing.

Now consider your unprovoked abuse, posting of personal details and your
defamation of people and how endearing *your* behaviour is.

Have a good hard think about that.

Xeno

Jun 9, 2022, 9:25:53 AM6/9/22
Touché

Nice one.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Yosemite Sam

Jun 9, 2022, 10:28:45 AM6/9/22
On 9/06/2022 3:45 pm, Clocky wrote:
I was referring to the astro shoot. the museum ones are just snapshots.

Grumpy Tech

Jun 9, 2022, 1:37:09 PM6/9/22
Look at the plank in your own eye first buddy. You push people's buttons
you can expect to cop it. Let's face it you couldn't even work out how
to write the program task you were asked to after stating it was easy
and anyone could do it. You've got a big mouth but not much else.
Typical acolyte of xeno.

jonz@ nothere.com

Jun 12, 2022, 1:18:11 AM6/12/22
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TRUTH!.

Noddy

Jun 12, 2022, 3:48:39 AM6/12/22
+1

He's great at dishing it out, but runs away playing the victim faster
than Felix when it gets belted back in his direction. Basically he's a
massive soft cock trying to pretend he's a tough guy from the safety of
his keyboard.

Xeno

Jun 12, 2022, 4:27:29 AM6/12/22
Like you do Darren? You've been playing the victim card for quite a
while now and getting adept at running away. Don't like the heat Darren?
Think seriously about getting out of the kitchen. Leave the cooking to
those with a clue!

alvey

Jun 12, 2022, 4:43:46 PM6/12/22
'Hypocrisy' isn't strong enough, this is hyperhypocrisy. And hilarious...

alvey

Clocky

Jun 12, 2022, 6:49:34 PM6/12/22
What buttons of yours did I press? Your attacks and abuse was unprovoked
as the evidence *clearly* shows, in spades I might add.

Let's face it you couldn't even work out how
> to write the program task you were asked to after stating it was easy
> and anyone could do it.

You're misrepresenting what I said. I never called myself a programmer,
I described, quite accurately, a process that countless thousands of
people use to program an Arduino.

Your mate, NoddyLiar, agreed with me - so ask him what he thinks about that!

<snip attempt at button pushing>

Clocky

Jun 12, 2022, 6:50:37 PM6/12/22
On 13/06/2022 4:43 am, alvey wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:48:35 +1000, Noddy wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> TRUTH!.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> He's great at dishing it out, but runs away playing the victim faster
>> than Felix when it gets belted back in his direction. Basically he's a
>> massive soft cock trying to pretend he's a tough guy from the safety of
>> his keyboard.
>
> 'Hypocrisy' isn't strong enough, this is hyperhypocrisy. And hilarious...
>

> alvey

It's as astonishing as it is hilarious actually.
Unreal!

Yosemite Sam

Jun 12, 2022, 8:47:35 PM6/12/22
On 13/06/2022 6:43 am, alvey wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:48:35 +1000, Noddy wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> TRUTH!.
>> +1
>>
>> He's great at dishing it out, but runs away playing the victim faster
>> than Felix when it gets belted back in his direction. Basically he's a
>> massive soft cock trying to pretend he's a tough guy from the safety of
>> his keyboard.
> 'Hypocrisy' isn't strong enough, this is hyperhypocrisy. And hilarious...

certainly is!

> alvey

Yosemite Sam

Jun 12, 2022, 9:29:28 PM6/12/22
poor old gwumpy is so hypersensitive if you pushed too many of his
buttons you would squash him! :)

keithr0

Jun 14, 2022, 3:57:35 AM6/14/22
On 8/06/2022 8:13 am, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> Made the trip to the Qld Air museum yesterday where I was given a
> personal tour by Keithr who was a wealth of knowledge and I certainly
> appreciate him taking the time to show me around.
>
> Here's some photo's I took. The F111 is really hard to get a good photo of.
>
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NnXPdfQXUp8cRrL8K?e=3roLt6
>
> The interesting plane for me was the Polish version of the Mig15 which
> in comparison to any of the other fighter jets was tiny, and in
> comparison to the F111 was a midget.
>
> There's also an unusual helicopter that doesn't have a tail rotor.

You should have come this week, you could have helped fettle a jet into
the Neptune. Only 3 bolts, should have been easy but it wasn't.

Yosemite Sam

Jun 14, 2022, 9:17:26 PM6/14/22
gotta laugh that you take the trouble to 'adjust the images' to pixelate
your reflection in aircraft canopies

https://tinyurl.com/24bnjbea

> It's easier to criticize someone than to do it and you have certainly
> developed the ability to criticize over the last few years but have
> shown none of your ability to do anything. It doesn't endear you to
> people.

Grumpy Tech

Jun 14, 2022, 9:36:41 PM6/14/22
Maybe it wasn't my reflection... You know what they say about assumption...

Noddy

Jun 14, 2022, 11:13:02 PM6/14/22
Yeah, it's the mother of all fuckups, and I would think Felix
understands that better than anyone :)

At the angle the photo was taken relative to the canopy the reflection
shown in the photo the would *not* have been that of the person taking
it, and that can clearly be seen in the image as while the reflection of
the person in the image has been deliberately blurred you can see enough
detail to note that the person in the reflection is clearly not holding
a camera up to their face which would kind of be necessary. Not the
least of which is that it would be unlikely that Grumpy turned up to
take photos wearing a high vis fleecy top :)

What you're most likely looking at is a reflection of the person
standing *beside* Grumpy, who's legs you can just see in the lower left
corner of the picture, and if I had to guess I would say that was
probably Keith.

Once again Felix rushes in to prove how utterly clueless he really is,
and he does this with such regularity I'm genuinely surprised he wasn't
given some kind of gong for it in the Queens Birthday honours list.

Clocky

Jun 15, 2022, 12:19:48 AM6/15/22
That's not Grumpy, you can partially see his reflection. That will be
ol' mate Keefy that got pixelated I reckon.

Grumpy Tech

Jun 15, 2022, 12:43:57 AM6/15/22
What's even funnier is that you can see my arms and hands holding the
camera in the right of the canopy. I'd have to have go go gadget arms to
manage that if it was my reflection!!

Daryl

Jun 15, 2022, 12:45:45 AM6/15/22
A typical storm in a teacup:-)

--
Daryl

Yosemite Sam

Jun 15, 2022, 12:56:14 AM6/15/22
one again the Killfile Koward snipes from behind his killfile..

>> and he does this with such regularity I'm genuinely surprised he
>> wasn't given some kind of gong for it in the Queens Birthday honours
>> list.
>>

> What's even funnier is that you can see my arms and hands holding the
> camera in the right of the canopy. I'd have to have go go gadget arms
> to manage that if it was my reflection!!

well he got one thing wrong at least. "holding a camera up to their face
which would kind of be necessary" is not necessary with smart phones.

Yosemite Sam

Jun 15, 2022, 12:57:37 AM6/15/22
I reckon you're right!

Noddy

Jun 15, 2022, 1:00:18 AM6/15/22
As usual he just makes a complete moron out of himself. He does it with
*such* frequency and dedication that it's almost as if he's on some kind
of religious quest :)

Noddy

Jun 15, 2022, 1:01:44 AM6/15/22
Yep. Felix once again clearly demonstrating that he's about as sharp as
cold snot.

Yosemite Sam

Jun 15, 2022, 1:08:08 AM6/15/22
once again the dickhead in Coward Castle snipes from behind his killfile
which is all he's capable of

Xeno

Jun 15, 2022, 1:10:39 AM6/15/22
Nah! The complete moron is one who makes grandiose claims that he cannot
back up with *proof* and then, when asked for proof, scurries away like
a cornered rat! That's a complete moron. Know anyone like that? Take a
look in a mirror and be enlightened. Enlightenment without Nirvana!

Yosemite Sam

Jun 15, 2022, 1:11:42 AM6/15/22
and noddy desperate for attention will reply to anything..

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

"once again the dickhead in Coward Castle snipes from behind his
killfile which is all he's capable of doing" -felix on noddy

FUCK PUTIN!!

Clocky

Jun 15, 2022, 1:19:22 AM6/15/22
Here he is minus pixelation:

https://tinyurl.com/yc4ze7mw

:-)

Grumpy Tech

Jun 15, 2022, 1:22:36 AM6/15/22
It wasn't a smart phone... Does this help

Main IFD
--------
Camera make:Canon
Camera model:Canon EOS R5

Exif sub-IFD
------------
Colour space:RGB
Date/time original:7/06/2022 10:54:03 AM
Exif image width:8216
Exif image height:5480
Exposure programme:Manual
Exposure time:0.008 seconds

I was holding the camera away from my face which is easy to do with a
camera like this although Keith would confirm it weighs a bit!!

Now even though Noddy made a mistake you've now made two... Another
assumption that I was using a smart phone.

Yosemite Sam

Jun 15, 2022, 1:41:58 AM6/15/22
LOL! obviously you're unaware of my MO.. post first, think afterwards.

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

"So some infantile nonsense and running away again
I see. Your standard MO." -Clocky on Keefy

Xeno

Jun 15, 2022, 1:55:51 AM6/15/22
He wants to distract/divert the conversation from his fake claims of
trade qualifications and business ownership to someone, anyone else.

Xeno

Jun 15, 2022, 1:56:32 AM6/15/22
Make that *desperate for a diversion*.

Xeno

Jun 15, 2022, 1:59:36 AM6/15/22
Darren's made a lot of mistakes, starting here with all his bullshit
self aggrandising *fake* claims. It's only been downhill from there for
puir wee Darren!

> assumption that I was using a smart phone.

Clocky

Jun 15, 2022, 2:08:44 AM6/15/22
LOL, that's a level of self-awareness, honesty and ability to laugh at
oneself that you will never see from any on team FLCJC :-)

Yosemite Sam

Jun 15, 2022, 2:09:52 AM6/15/22
yes, and all the stuff about cars he's got wrong

> It's only been downhill from there for puir wee Darren!

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

"So some infantile nonsense and running away again
I see. Your standard MO." -Clocky on Keefy

"once again the dickhead in Coward Castle snipes from behind his

Yosemite Sam

Jun 15, 2022, 2:12:00 AM6/15/22
:)

Grumpy Tech

Jun 15, 2022, 2:32:13 AM6/15/22
You have all the fun... The moment you think you've got an easy job
coming up, something always goes pear shaped.

keithr0

Jun 15, 2022, 2:48:49 AM6/15/22
I don't recall you wearing hi-vis.

keithr0

Jun 15, 2022, 3:43:27 AM6/15/22
Good job I'm left handed.

Daryl

Jun 15, 2022, 4:31:12 AM6/15/22
LOL, yes, we thought the engine swap on the i30 Hyundai would be simple
till we found out that we needed to swap camshafts, instead I should
have gone to Qld to help Keith install the Neptune engine:-)

--
Daryl

Yosemite Sam

Jun 15, 2022, 4:44:03 AM6/15/22
nah, he's not fat enough..  :)

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

"So some infantile nonsense and running away again
I see. Your standard MO." -Clocky on Keefy

lindsay

Jun 15, 2022, 5:35:48 AM6/15/22
On 8/06/2022 8:13 am, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> Made the trip to the Qld Air museum yesterday where I was given a
> personal tour by Keithr who was a wealth of knowledge and I certainly
> appreciate him taking the time to show me around.
>
> Here's some photo's I took. The F111 is really hard to get a good photo of.
>
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NnXPdfQXUp8cRrL8K?e=3roLt6

Sox for the delay, i've ben cutting wood for a few days. :-)

Very nice pics, Grumpy.. thanks!. The F-111 is my favorite plane, even
though I based my BBS on the F/A-18 Hornet. Not sure Keith mentioned
that the F-111 was the first to be equipped with swing wing tech, first
with TFR, and equipped with a escape module, rather than ejector seats.
Was way ahead of it's time, and thus gave RAAF such long valued service.
And currently we have no long range strike capability.... I'm still
kicking myself i missed it's last displays... :-( Such a beautiful plane...

> The interesting plane for me was the Polish version of the Mig15 which
> in comparison to any of the other fighter jets was tiny, and in
> comparison to the F111 was a midget.

The little silver thing? Looks like a Sabre? I'm sure I saw that fly at
one of the early Avalon Airshows...

Speaking of airshows, I was treated to a wonderful display from the RAAF
Roulettes yesterday on my way home from the block.. they were
practising over West Sale airport, which runs parallel to the princes
highway. got several spectacular views whist stuck in the 40km/h
roadworks... normally have one or two flying over my joint, but with no
smoke, they are hard to spot.

> There's also an unusual helicopter that doesn't have a tail rotor.

Interesting. Keith?

lindsay

Jun 15, 2022, 5:39:01 AM6/15/22
On 8/06/2022 9:57 am, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 8/06/2022 9:29 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 8/6/2022 8:13 am, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>>> Made the trip to the Qld Air museum yesterday where I was given a
>>> personal tour by Keithr who was a wealth of knowledge and I certainly
>>> appreciate him taking the time to show me around.
>>>
>>> Here's some photo's I took. The F111 is really hard to get a good
>>> photo of.
>>>
>>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NnXPdfQXUp8cRrL8K?e=3roLt6
>>>
>>> The interesting plane for me was the Polish version of the Mig15
>>> which in comparison to any of the other fighter jets was tiny, and in
>>> comparison to the F111 was a midget.
>>>
>>> There's also an unusual helicopter that doesn't have a tail rotor.
>>
>> Great pics Grumpy, certainly well worth the visit.
>> Coincidentally I visited the air museum at Moorabbin Airport
>> yesterday, smaller collection than Qld but still interesting.
>>
> It was definitely worth the visit though my back was complaining a fair
> bit. I'd been out to Hughenden on the weekend (a 400km drive each way)
> on a sunset and astrophotography tour. We took a Triton ute into the
> bush to get to some of the locations and the seats are awful in those
> combined with very rough bush tracks and I was feeling it... Probably
> didn't help that my hire car while I am here is an MG3. They are just
> awful, you would have to be an idiot to buy one...

That's a gimmee..

> Some of the shots from the sunset and astro shoot.
>
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8Nnh7Mwr8Aw9kyEXfF?e=Vgi9Px

as Borat would say: "very nice"!! Stars arent all that easy to do, esp
if your shivering :-) I wanted to have another go last weekend, but
clouds, clouds and more clouds...

keithr0

Jun 15, 2022, 5:52:02 AM6/15/22
> The thing weighs half a tonne and installs at head height, there is no
slack on the mounting bolts, either you get them lined up or it doesn't
work. 1mm out and the bolts don't go in. One wouldn't line up yesterday
no matter what form of persuasion was applied, so the engine had to be
hung on a ratchet strap overnight. Came back this morning with a
slightly different rig and it popped straight in.

www.imgur.com/a/PC4mxo7

Before anybody asks or makes any suppositions, I'm not in the picture
because I was taking it.

lindsay

Jun 15, 2022, 5:53:10 AM6/15/22
On 15/06/2022 3:10 pm, Xeno wrote:

> Nah! The complete moron is one who makes grandiose claims that he cannot
> back up with *proof* and then, when asked for proof, scurries away like
> a cornered rat! That's a complete moron. Know anyone like that?

Damn straight I do.

Tomas Clasener. Found the deleted posts yet? Kangaroos that arent
protected? Wedge type wood splitters that throw the wood at the
operator? Golf being a winter sport? You're a fucking failure,
shit-fer-brains. A repetitive old cunt whos last days in his dotage are
spent hurling shit... all day, every day. Fucking pathetic.

A sad old decrepit liar, plagiarist, gold plated hypocrite, and
loud-mouthed insipid, repetitive spineless deadshit, who relies on
backup for his daily enjoyment. If they wernt here, shit-fer-brains,
neither would you, because you're the original running half man.

Meant to ask, Tomas... Hows the walled up chariots going? Found
somewhere worthy to donate them? Still curious as to how your stored
such quality cars in a single fibro-cement garage... :-D

Grumpy Tech

Jun 15, 2022, 6:01:05 AM6/15/22
Nice work. Someone has to be the photographer at these occasions.

keithr0

Jun 15, 2022, 6:02:31 AM6/15/22
There are two this year up here, the first weekend in July the Brisbane
Airshow out near Esk, and in November, the Amberly Airshow out at RAAF
Amberly.

>> There's also an unusual helicopter that doesn't have a tail rotor.
>
> Interesting. Keith?

It's a Sud Djinn, the rotor is powered by jets of compressed air in the
blade tips rather than through a shaft so there is no reaction, and so
no need for a tail rotor to counteract it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCASO_SO.1221_Djinn

This is about our example (the only one to come to Australia)

https://aeropedia.com.au/content/sud-aviation-so-1221-djinn/

Grumpy Tech

Jun 15, 2022, 6:09:54 AM6/15/22
On 15/06/2022 7:35 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 8/06/2022 8:13 am, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>> Made the trip to the Qld Air museum yesterday where I was given a
>> personal tour by Keithr who was a wealth of knowledge and I certainly
>> appreciate him taking the time to show me around.
>>
>> Here's some photo's I took. The F111 is really hard to get a good
>> photo of.
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsLDRd5Vlv8NnXPdfQXUp8cRrL8K?e=3roLt6
>

> Sox for the delay, i've ben cutting wood for a few days. :-)
>
> Very nice pics, Grumpy.. thanks!. The F-111 is my favorite plane, even
> though I based my BBS on the F/A-18 Hornet. Not sure Keith mentioned
> that the F-111 was the first to be equipped with swing wing tech, first
> with TFR, and equipped with a escape module, rather than ejector seats.
> Was way ahead of it's time, and thus gave RAAF such long valued service.
> And currently we have no long range strike capability....  I'm still
> kicking myself i missed it's last displays... :-( Such a beautiful plane...

No problem. If you do get up to the museum, Keith is a wealth of
knowledge and very obliging.

It was a really good place to visit and as he mentioned you can have a 2
hour session where you can sit in the F111 if you like. It has to be
booked in advance though.

>> The interesting plane for me was the Polish version of the Mig15 which
>> in comparison to any of the other fighter jets was tiny, and in
>> comparison to the F111 was a midget.
>
> The little silver thing? Looks like a Sabre? I'm sure I saw that fly at
> one of the early Avalon Airshows...

That's the one. The build quality on it is rather lacking as well.

> Speaking of airshows, I was treated to a wonderful display from the RAAF
> Roulettes yesterday on my way home from the block..  they were
> practising over West Sale airport, which runs parallel to the princes
> highway. got several spectacular views whist stuck in the 40km/h
> roadworks... normally have one or two flying over my joint,  but with no
> smoke, they are hard to spot.
>>
>> There's also an unusual helicopter that doesn't have a tail rotor.
>
> Interesting. Keith?

It has little jets on the ends of the rotors that provide the stability
that the tail rotor normally does if I remember what he said correctly.

Grumpy Tech

Jun 15, 2022, 6:14:37 AM6/15/22
I was on a class shoot with an instructor. We walked into Porcupine
Gorge to get one of the shots which was fun in the pitch dark. I have an
LED video light so I was able to light the track but it was pretty tough
going.

It wasn't so cold and I use a tripod with a remote shutter release which
means you don't get any shake at all.

Noddy

Jun 15, 2022, 8:07:32 AM6/15/22
Lol :)

He let slip what they were. They were all Marina's. He had a stack of
them under his house. What classics :)

Regards,
Noddy.

keithr0

Jun 15, 2022, 8:17:53 AM6/15/22
And you know this how?

Of course this explains a lot

Clocky

Jun 15, 2022, 8:38:03 AM6/15/22
Well, you are now... :-)

Daryl

Jun 15, 2022, 8:44:23 AM6/15/22
When are you going to fire it up:-)

--
Daryl

Clocky

Jun 15, 2022, 8:49:10 AM6/15/22
Interesting.

Noddy

Jun 15, 2022, 9:58:13 AM6/15/22
Pretty bizarre theory for a man who claims he bases his opinions on
"evidence", which remains the most ridiculous comment I've ever heard
anyone in this group make since Clasener issued his insane "time to come
clean" post :)

alvey

Jun 15, 2022, 5:38:30 PM6/15/22
On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 13:12:58 +1000, Noddy wrote:

> Once again Felix rushes in to prove how utterly clueless he really is,
> and he does this with such regularity I'm genuinely surprised he wasn't
> given some kind of gong for it in the Queens Birthday honours list.

Hey I've got a Queens Birthday honour for you Fraudster! A Baronetcy!
Then you could have the rhyming and incredibly apt *official* title of Lord
Fraud!

Hail Darren
Lord of Fraud
told more lies
than Merv ate pies

Hail Darren
Lord of Fraud
Told bigger lies
Than Donald Trumps guys

Hail Darren
Lord of lies
runs away faster
than a paedophile Master

alvey

alvey

Jun 15, 2022, 5:55:20 PM6/15/22
On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 22:07:27 +1000, Noddy wrote:

> He let slip what they were. They were all Marina's. He had a stack of
> them under his house. What classics :)

Still. At least they were real Fraudster...

alvey

Jun 15, 2022, 5:56:48 PM6/15/22
On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 15:01:43 +1000, Noddy wrote:

> On 15/06/2022 2:45 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> Yeah, it's the mother of all fuckups, and I would think Felix
>>> understands that better than anyone :)
>>>
>>> At the angle the photo was taken relative to the canopy the reflection
>>> shown in the photo the would *not* have been that of the person taking
>>> it, and that can clearly be seen in the image as while the reflection
>>> of the person in the image has been deliberately blurred you can see
>>> enough detail to note that the person in the reflection is clearly not
>>> holding a camera up to their face which would kind of be necessary.
>>> Not the least of which is that it would be unlikely that Grumpy turned
>>> up to take photos wearing a high vis fleecy top :)
>>>
>>> What you're most likely looking at is a reflection of the person
>>> standing *beside* Grumpy, who's legs you can just see in the lower
>>> left corner of the picture, and if I had to guess I would say that was
>>> probably Keith.
>>>
>>> Once again Felix rushes in to prove how utterly clueless he really is,
>>> and he does this with such regularity I'm genuinely surprised he
>>> wasn't given some kind of gong for it in the Queens Birthday honours
>>> list.
>>>

>> A typical storm in a teacup:-)
>
> Yep.

Ummm. I think he's having a shot at you Buffo.

alvey

alvey

Jun 15, 2022, 6:09:24 PM6/15/22
Killfail's working overtime Fraudster...

keithr0

Jun 15, 2022, 7:49:50 PM6/15/22
Great idea, but, since it hasn't been run in over 40 years, we'd need to
get all the turbine and compressor blades checked for corrosion, and
X-rayed for cracks, and that's a bit beyond our means. I am also not
sure what the museums insurers would have to say about it either. I did
have the notion to spin it up though using a battery box on open days,
then I found that the starter draws about 450amps so that's not really
practical either.

Even after 40 odd years of neglect though the bearings are amazingly good

www.imgur.com/a/lNQc9pr

Noddy

Jun 15, 2022, 8:31:24 PM6/15/22
Just out of curiosity, if the engine is never going to run why do you
bother wasting your time putting it back into the airframe? Why not just
button up the engine covers and put the engine on a stand so people can
see it up close?

Daryl

Jun 15, 2022, 9:18:23 PM6/15/22
Can't remember if I mentioned this before but a bloke I used to work
with at Ford was an avionics tech in the RAAF, he told me that their
standing orders when starting those engines prior to a flight was that
if they didn't start after 3 attempts they were "to get the fuck out of
the aircraft ASAP and run as far away as possible" supposedly because
they weren't easy to start and when they didn't there was a lot of fuel
vapor in the air.
Don't know if its true but its a good story:-)
--
Daryl

Noddy

Jun 15, 2022, 9:55:55 PM6/15/22
Lol :)

Reminds me of a multi part doco I watched on TV years ago that was
aviation based, and part of it covered speed and altitude attempts in
experimental aircraft like the X-15 and similar carried out at Edwards
Airforce Base.

In one such incident they did a ground based test of the rocket engines
in the X-15 where the plane was bolted to a steel structure on a massive
concrete pad and the engine was to be fired and run up to full throttle,
except when the pilot strapped himself in and hit the button the engine
ran for a bit and then burped and farted a couple of times before
extinguishing itself and going completely quiet.

There was apparently a "reset" procedure where the pilot moved the
throttle lever back and into a detent before pushing a button, and the
in cockpit camera showed the pilot doing this with the last thing you
heard over the intercom was the pilot saying "reset" before everything
just went white for a few seconds with nothing but static being heard.

The engine just exploded and fortunately for the pilot it blew the
cockpit section of the airframe 9 miles down the road where he was able
to walk away uninjured. Had he not been blown away from the rest of the
aircraft he would most likely have been roasted alive in the flaming mess.

I think the pilot in question was Scott Crossfield who made many flights
in experimental aircraft. He was interviewed for the series years after
the event, and he said that as a test pilot he wasn't supposed to be
scared, but he sure as shit was impressed :)

Daryl

Jun 15, 2022, 10:24:35 PM6/15/22
Impressed with the safety structure of the cockpit:-)

--
Daryl

Xeno

Jun 15, 2022, 10:27:18 PM6/15/22
On 16/6/2022 11:55 am, Noddy wrote:
You're bullshitting again Darren. The cockpit section *was* in the
*flaming mess* and it wasn't blown *9 miles down the road*. FFS, if
you're going to Google up a story, tell it like it was instead of adding
your bullshit to it.
https://disciplesofflight.com/scott-crossfield-pilot-and-engineer/

> I think the pilot in question was Scott Crossfield who made many flights
> in experimental aircraft. He was interviewed for the series years after
> the event, and he said that as a test pilot he wasn't supposed to be
> scared, but he sure as shit was impressed :)

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Xeno

Jun 15, 2022, 10:30:31 PM6/15/22
On 16/6/2022 7:55 am, alvey wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 22:07:27 +1000, Noddy wrote:
>

>> He let slip what they were. They were all Marina's. He had a stack of
>> them under his house. What classics :)
>
> Still. At least they were real Fraudster...

Very real, and they kept me on the road when those interest rates hit
18% in the late 80s. Talk about overcommitting to real estate! My wife
loved her Marina and learnt to drive in one.

keithr0

Jun 15, 2022, 11:18:46 PM6/15/22
On 16/06/2022 11:18 am, Daryl wrote:
I don't know about that, but I'm told by someone who crewed Neptunes
that, if the pilot forgot to turn off the fuel booster pump after
starting the piston engines, the jets, on start up, would throw a jet of
flame that extended past the tailplane. Spectacular!

keithr0

Jun 15, 2022, 11:20:54 PM6/15/22
How boring, why are you bothering to fiddle with an old truck to make it
at least roadworthy when for a lot less money you could have something
that drives a lot better.

Xeno

Jun 15, 2022, 11:26:17 PM6/15/22
For what he paid for that heap of shit, he could have a *new Navara*.

Hmmm, hang on, that might be worse! ;-)

Noddy

Jun 15, 2022, 11:54:38 PM6/15/22
Yeah, but then it wouldn't be a classic old truck which is the object of
the exercise, which is irrelevant anyway as the old truck runs and
drives and is regularly used.

Your jet engine is never going to be used, which makes me wonder why you
bother with in and instead don't put it to a more practical use that the
public might actually enjoy.

Xeno

Jun 16, 2022, 1:05:16 AM6/16/22
They would likely have roller bearings on those, though some turbines
had ball bearings. Roller bearings, with their line contact, can carry
greater loads but would need a separate thrust bearing - they don't
handle thrust loads very well at all and there's a lot of axial thrust
in a turbine. They would be fairly well sealed and with plenty of oil
retained in them. Very little chance of contamination or corrosion. In
fact, rotating the turbine occasionally would be very beneficial for oil
distribution and spread, that will help keep the races and rollers
protected by an oil film. Since roller bearings are an anti-friction
bearing, I would expect them to still rotate very freely, especially
given their location. Later turbines (some?) moved to sleeve or slipper
bearings and these wouldn't rotate so nicely after having sat for 40
years. They operate hydrostatically and need a pressure oil feed to
maintain that status. They would be very much in a boundary lubrication
state whilst being hand rotated without a pressurised oil feed.

Xeno

Jun 16, 2022, 1:09:47 AM6/16/22
On 16/6/2022 1:54 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 16/06/2022 1:20 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 16/06/2022 10:31 am, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> Just out of curiosity, if the engine is never going to run why do you
>>> bother wasting your time putting it back into the airframe? Why not
>>> just button up the engine covers and put the engine on a stand so
>>> people can see it up close?
>>>
>> How boring, why are you bothering to fiddle with an old truck to make
>> it at least roadworthy when for a lot less money you could have
>> something that drives a lot better.
>
> Yeah, but then it wouldn't be a classic old truck which is the object of
> the exercise, which is irrelevant anyway as the old truck runs and
> drives and is regularly used.

Didn't you say you were going to put Jag suspension under it front and
rear? That would make it a lot less a classic old truck. In fact, given
it would no longer be suitable for carrying anything like a decent load,
all it would be is a *poseur truck*! Given you're such a fraud, that
would be *perfect* for you!

> Your jet engine is never going to be used, which makes me wonder why you
> bother with in and instead don't put it to a more practical use that the
> public might actually enjoy.

lindsay

Jun 16, 2022, 4:40:19 AM6/16/22
On 15/06/2022 8:09 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:

>> Very nice pics, Grumpy.. thanks!. The F-111 is my favorite plane, even
>> though I based my BBS on the F/A-18 Hornet. Not sure Keith mentioned
>> that the F-111 was the first to be equipped with swing wing tech,
>> first with TFR, and equipped with a escape module, rather than ejector
>> seats. Was way ahead of it's time, and thus gave RAAF such long valued
>> service. And currently we have no long range strike capability....
>> I'm still kicking myself i missed it's last displays... :-( Such a
>> beautiful plane...

forgot to mention: I bought one of these:
https://hobbymaster.com.au/diecast-aircrafts/hobbymaster-ha3008-1-72-f-111c-a8-125-raaf-final-flight.html
which was a special release at the time. Think I paid less than $200, no
idea what it's worth now. Awesome model. Amazing detail. Still boxed.

> No problem. If you do get up to the museum, Keith is a wealth of
> knowledge and very obliging.

I'll be back in Brisvegas in May next year to join a ship at the new
cruise terminal. Perhaps get a flight to Brissie a day or two earlier?
See how we go.

> It was a really good place to visit and as he mentioned you can have a 2
> hour session where you can sit in the F111 if you like. It has to be
> booked in advance though.

On the bucket list! :-) Probably prefer to do it at our lesuire...

>>> The interesting plane for me was the Polish version of the Mig15
>>> which in comparison to any of the other fighter jets was tiny, and in
>>> comparison to the F111 was a midget.
>>
>> The little silver thing? Looks like a Sabre? I'm sure I saw that fly
>> at one of the early Avalon Airshows...
>>
> That's the one. The build quality on it is rather lacking as well.

I remember the pilot giving it absolute shit... very aerobatic. And it
whistled as it flew. Probably got a couple of photos of it somewhere...

>> Speaking of airshows, I was treated to a wonderful display from the
>> RAAF Roulettes yesterday on my way home from the block..  they were
>> practising over West Sale airport, which runs parallel to the princes
>> highway. got several spectacular views whist stuck in the 40km/h
>> roadworks... normally have one or two flying over my joint,  but with
>> no smoke, they are hard to spot.
>>>
>>> There's also an unusual helicopter that doesn't have a tail rotor.
>>
>> Interesting. Keith?
>>

> It has little jets on the ends of the rotors that provide the stability
> that the tail rotor normally does if I remember what he said correctly.

Bizarre! I thought the tail rotors on helo's were what drove it forward,
whilst the main rotor generated the lift? Must look into this.. :-)

Cheers...

lindsay

Jun 16, 2022, 4:48:30 AM6/16/22
how long are the exposures? From memory, mine was 13 seconds, but that
may have been for a different lens. Was wanting to try 20-30 seconds
with a Samyang 14mm at F2.8.. but as usual, got clouded out. And at 4am,
fogged out. :-)

lindsay

Jun 16, 2022, 4:50:16 AM6/16/22
On 15/06/2022 8:02 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> There's also an unusual helicopter that doesn't have a tail rotor.
>>
>> Interesting. Keith?
>>
> It's a Sud Djinn, the rotor is powered by jets of compressed air in the
> blade tips rather than through a shaft so there is no reaction, and so
> no need for a tail rotor to counteract it.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCASO_SO.1221_Djinn
>
> This is about our example (the only one to come to Australia)
>
> https://aeropedia.com.au/content/sud-aviation-so-1221-djinn/

Thanks, Keith.. I'll take a look later on tonight....

Grumpy Tech

Jun 16, 2022, 6:02:56 AM6/16/22
13 seconds f2.8 for one and f3.5 for the other iso 6400. Canon RF 15-35
F2.8 lens for the gorge one and Canon RF 28-70 F2 for the tree one.

keithr0

Jun 16, 2022, 8:46:11 PM6/16/22
Not usually, Newtons third law of motion says that every action has an
equal and opposite reaction, so the torque that drives the rotor, will
try to drive the fuselage in the opposite direction. The tail rotor
counteracts this by providing a force in the opposite direction.

There are exceptions like the Djinn which, because the rotor spins from
the reaction to the air being blown from the rotor tip jets, doesn't
have any torque driving between the fuselage and the rotor. Other
designs use a pair of coaxial rotors one above the other spinning in
opposite directions to cancel the torque, or, in the case of the Chinook
two rotors spinning in opposite directions but offset from each other.

There are a couple of machines being developed design where the tail
rotor is used for forward motion, but they use coaxial rotors.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e7/f8/46/e7f846beab9cc889936bfe9013eb0647.jpg

http://co.newswire.com/files/ef/aa/4d0da2c0c406ef56f2e87bc7c9b9.jpg

Xeno

Jun 16, 2022, 10:21:54 PM6/16/22
On 17/6/2022 10:46 am, keithr0 wrote:

> Not usually, Newtons third law of motion says that every action has an
> equal and opposite reaction, so the torque that drives the rotor, will
> try to drive the fuselage in the opposite direction. The tail rotor
> counteracts this by providing a force in the opposite direction.

That torque reaction is present on any shaft driven device, be it a
propellor, a wheel, even a pump.

> There are exceptions like the Djinn which, because the rotor spins from
> the reaction to the air being blown from the rotor tip jets, doesn't
> have any torque driving between the fuselage and the rotor. Other
> designs use a pair of coaxial rotors one above the other spinning in
> opposite directions to cancel the torque, or, in the case of the Chinook
> two rotors spinning in opposite directions but offset from each other.

The swash plate is the secret to the helicopter's forward motion.
Through the action of the swash plate, the pilot is able to increase the
pitch of the blades of the rotor one side more than the other. If the
pilot increases the pitch at the rear, the rotor, and the entire body of
the helicopter, will pitch forward and thus creates a forward thrust so
the helicopter goes forward. The same for flying backwards or sideways.
If the pitch of the rotors remains the same all around, the helicopter
will hover. Because of the way helicopters generate forward motion, they
have a limit on their top speed using this method. That is typically
about 400 kph and occurs because of the flow separation boundary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_separation
Because of this, a helicopter that needs to go faster must use a
different means of forward propulsion. Contra-rotating rotors help a
little while forward facing propellers, as in a standard type plane, get
a helicopter up close to 500 kph before the flow separation boundary
becomes an issue. Another limit is the speed of sound and, because of
their large diameter, rotor blade tips can travel much faster than you
think but they don't go supersonic. If they were to do that they would
experience a *large decrease* in performance, high blade loadings,
vibration and, as expected, noise. On the topic of helicopter noise,
that characteristic wop-wop beat of the helicopter rotor is caused by
the interaction between rotor blade vortices and between the main rotor
blade and the tail rotor. These vortices create shockwaves and, as their
impulses coincide they create loud harmonics. The rotor speeds don't
need to be anywhere near supersonic and is the reason some tail rotors
have a fenestron fitted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenestron

> There are a couple of machines being developed design where the tail
> rotor is used for forward motion, but they use coaxial rotors.
>
> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e7/f8/46/e7f846beab9cc889936bfe9013eb0647.jpg
>

> http://co.newswire.com/files/ef/aa/4d0da2c0c406ef56f2e87bc7c9b9.jpg

lindsay

Jun 17, 2022, 4:29:46 AM6/17/22
Yep, I get it. Now. I remembered seeing the tail rotor on a Dauphin, and
just presumed thats how they worked. Didnt think too much about it at
the time..

> There are exceptions like the Djinn which, because the rotor spins from
> the reaction to the air being blown from the rotor tip jets, doesn't
> have any torque driving between the fuselage and the rotor. Other
> designs use a pair of coaxial rotors one above the other spinning in
> opposite directions to cancel the torque, or, in the case of the Chinook
> two rotors spinning in opposite directions but offset from each other.

Never thought of the chinooks....

> There are a couple of machines being developed design where the tail
> rotor is used for forward motion, but they use coaxial rotors.
>
> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e7/f8/46/e7f846beab9cc889936bfe9013eb0647.jpg
>

> http://co.newswire.com/files/ef/aa/4d0da2c0c406ef56f2e87bc7c9b9.jpg

Cheers.