Falcon door locks - please break in here

ms

Nov 10, 2002, 7:48:29 PM11/10/02
Somebody stuck a screwdriver in the lock of my 94 Falcon
and twisted the lock, to break in.
I took it to Ford dealer to be repaired.
By coincidence, there was a bloke there who suffered the
same thing. He was ranting how piss weak easy it was for
somebody to open the door.
The person behind the counter blandly replied that if the
locks were better then thieves would smash the windows,
which cost more to repair!
How comforting....

Marty H

Nov 10, 2002, 8:52:40 PM11/10/02

"ms" <lav...@cygnus.uwa.edu> wrote in message

After getting one car radio stolen once, the next one I put in so well they
would have smash the living shit out of the dash to get it out
they smashed the living shit out of the dash to get it out!!!!

there is method in their(Fords) madness

--
Marty H
96 Across....still looking for that elusive 7th gear

D Walford

Nov 10, 2002, 9:57:20 PM11/10/02

Marty H wrote:

> After getting one car radio stolen once, the next one I put in so well they
> would have smash the living shit out of the dash to get it out
> they smashed the living shit out of the dash to get it out!!!!
>
> there is method in their(Fords) madness
>
> --
> Marty H
> 96 Across....still looking for that elusive 7th gear
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/martyh

VK/VL radio's had anti theft screws which were very difficult to remove
so the theives hacked the radio out of the car with an axe.
Instead of stealing a cheap radio they did thousands of dollars damage
to the dash.
Better to let them have the radio.
I think Ford have actually got it right.

Daryl

BJ

Nov 10, 2002, 10:15:53 PM11/10/02
> VK/VL radio's had anti theft screws which were very difficult to remove
> so the theives hacked the radio out of the car with an axe.
> Instead of stealing a cheap radio they did thousands of dollars damage
> to the dash.
> Better to let them have the radio.
> I think Ford have actually got it right.

better still to catch them in the act and shoot the bastards.

Dott.Ing.HatzOlahŽ

Nov 10, 2002, 11:29:16 PM11/10/02

"ms" <lav...@cygnus.uwa.edu> wrote in message
> Somebody stuck a screwdriver in the lock of my 94 Falcon
> and twisted the lock, to break in.

I have a 98' Falcon and the std. radio/casette (wireless!!) is nothing
special,why would anybody want one of these when the wreckers are selling
them for $50 and they are PIN locked anyway ??

Was your radio non-stadard .higher quality edition??

CDIHL

Alex Watters

Nov 11, 2002, 12:57:32 AM11/11/02
I don't think there is much thought behind breakins - my car got done
Saturday night, just for a nokia car charger.

"Dott.Ing.HatzOlahŽ" <hatz...@hotmail.comŽ> wrote in message

Forg

Nov 11, 2002, 3:43:49 AM11/11/02
Alex Watters wrote:

> I don't think there is much thought behind breakins - my car got done
> Saturday night, just for a nokia car charger.

Aye; car thieves wear slip-ons, because tying
their shoes uses brain cells that're being used to
keep breathing ... car thieves are often found
dead (of asphyxiation) with half-tied shoes.

Forg! -DUH#6=- (Y1)

"...
this crazy Forg surrounds me
..."
[Live - "When Dolphins Cry"]

Forg

Nov 11, 2002, 3:45:43 AM11/11/02
ms wrote:

> Somebody stuck a screwdriver in the lock of my 94 Falcon
> and twisted the lock, to break in.
> I took it to Ford dealer to be repaired.
> By coincidence, there was a bloke there who suffered the
> same thing. He was ranting how piss weak easy it was for
> somebody to open the door.

Well, he kinda has a valid point IMHO; aren't ED's
& EF's supposed to have some deadlocking system
that's allegedly hard to get around? If you'd
swallowed the marketing line (hmm, like I did) you
could be annoyed I s'pose.

James Murray

Nov 11, 2002, 3:51:19 AM11/11/02
On my old VT wagon, they bent the rear passenger door backwards to take my
collection of 2 burned music CDs - left the CD player there.

Rainbow Warrior

Nov 11, 2002, 5:05:24 AM11/11/02
"Alex Watters" <awat...@no.com> wrote in message

> I don't think there is much thought behind breakins - my car got done
> Saturday night, just for a nokia car charger.

A mates 60 something Toyota got broken into a week before it went to the
wreckers, they stole a pair of scratched sunglasses a home radio cassette
that chewed tapes and a packet of 6month sun melted Minties.

My brother had a tape deck that chewed tapes stolen one night, discovered it
when he went to install the new one the next day.

Guy at work used to clutch start his ol HQ everyday to and from work, one
day it wouldn't restart on the way home, some clown had stolen his 3/4
stuffed battery.

Pat
Brisbane, Australia
http://www.powerup.com.au/~mangey/
97 Econovan, GQ Patrol Twin Cab, Malvern Star Sprint 12

Econovan........ It's like flat 60 zones were made for it.

Bushy

Nov 11, 2002, 5:07:39 AM11/11/02
See, you should have got an XF, then you wouldn't have had to worry about
the door locks, cause the door handles would be broken anyway.......
;<)
Hope this helps,
Peter

Cameron_S

Nov 11, 2002, 6:21:08 AM11/11/02
Too true..

Must have had about 3 of these things go on my old ZL fairlane years back!..
Absolutely hopeless.

Cameron_S

"Bushy" <ple...@reply.to.group> wrote in message

Noddy

Nov 11, 2002, 6:31:28 AM11/11/02

"Dott.Ing.HatzOlahŽ" <hatz...@hotmail.comŽ> wrote in message

> I have a 98' Falcon and the std. radio/casette (wireless!!) is nothing

> special,why would anybody want one of these when the wreckers are selling
> them for $50 and they are PIN locked anyway ??

You have a '98 Falcon *ute*, which has a very basic factory fitted radio
that's worth fuck all, but someone may have a Fairmont Ghia with a factory
CD player and DSP unit, and they're worth considerably more.

Any pimply faced electronics boffin can get around the coding problem :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Noddy

Nov 11, 2002, 6:27:29 AM11/11/02

"ms" <lav...@cygnus.uwa.edu> wrote in message
> Somebody stuck a screwdriver in the lock of my 94 Falcon
> and twisted the lock, to break in.

<snip>

They probably didn't twist the lock to open the door, but that's of little
consequence to you I guess. Having easily opened locks isn't forward
thinking on Ford's part to "save money" on repair expenses, but rather a
foible with the locks, or rather the door handles, themselves.

Most ED onwards Falcons can *easily* be opened by inserting something into
the lock barrel, and then pushing down on it so the door handle actually
pulls on the metal rod and unlocks the central locking. It's best done with
a pair of needle nose pliers and it's piss easy to do, however it usually
stuffs the lock and/or handle, and can damage the door skin.

I've seen it done with a pair of regular scissors :)

The best defence against this is to fit an alarm with a highly visible
warning lamp and/or window stickers to deter people from attempting it in
the first place.

Regards,
Noddy.

Graham

Nov 11, 2002, 12:32:51 PM11/11/02
Noddy wrote:
> Any pimply faced electronics boffin can get around the coding problem

Sadly it doesn't even take a pimply faced kid.

Simply quote the VIN number at a dealer and pay them $20 cash and
they'll give you the PIN, no identification or proof of ownership
required. I've done it recently for friends who had just bought the car.
No ID required, no registration details, no proof of ownership, no
credit card, just $20 cash.

If they required proof of ownership that would help.

Alternatively if they required ID, then when your radio is stolen, you
report it to Ford (and the cops).

Ford could then check to see if anyone has asked for the PIN number - if
so then there's your thief. If not then they flag the VIN to block
release of the PIN number and notify the cops when someone does ask and
bingo - there's your thief.

Just a little software and storage on the Ford system at minimal cost
spread over many cars sold and it is a much more serious theft deterrent
than requiring theives to record the VIN number of their victims cars.

Damien

Nov 11, 2002, 2:31:19 PM11/11/02
"ms" <lav...@cygnus.uwa.edu> wrote in message

> Somebody stuck a screwdriver in the lock of my 94 Falcon

> and twisted the lock, to break in.

I once had that happen to an XF I used to own. The thing is the door handles
were so stuffed that you had to know the trick to open them even when the
door *was* unlocked.

I came back to find the driver's door unlocked but nothing missing from
inside the car. But there was blood on the door handle - LOL excellent
screwdriver work mate =)

Dan

Nov 11, 2002, 7:10:37 PM11/11/02
God I hated those door handles I must have had 5 or 6 over the 4 years I
owned my XF van.
Didn't seem to matter wether I used aftermarket or genuine I still managed
to break them.
I left a spare in the glovebox for the new owner ;-)

Dan

"Cameron_S" <cr_s...@NOSPAMarach.net.au> wrote in message

ms

Nov 11, 2002, 8:24:40 PM11/11/02
In article <3DCF6E37...@zip.com.au>, fo...@zip.com.au wrote:
..

>Well, he kinda has a valid point IMHO; aren't ED's
>& EF's supposed to have some deadlocking system
>that's allegedly hard to get around? If you'd
>swallowed the marketing line (hmm, like I did) you
>could be annoyed I s'pose.

well actually it was an XG (van).
in effect an XD body, but witht the Tibbe locks like an EB

Kieron Murphy

Nov 11, 2002, 9:15:41 PM11/11/02
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 04:32:51 +1100, Graham <zeb...@alphalink.com.au>
wrote:

>Ford could then check to see if anyone has asked for the PIN number - if
>so then there's your thief. If not then they flag the VIN to block
>release of the PIN number and notify the cops when someone does ask and
>bingo - there's your thief.
>
>Just a little software and storage on the Ford system at minimal cost
>spread over many cars sold and it is a much more serious theft deterrent
>than requiring theives to record the VIN number of their victims cars.

Good idea, except the spare parts dept wouldn't sell so many
replacement locks, dashboard bits etc :)

With the BA, Ford have effectively made the stereo unstealable anyway!

Kieron

Kieron Murphy

Nov 11, 2002, 9:20:50 PM11/11/02
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 22:27:29 +1100, "Noddy" <pon...@iprimus.com.au>
wrote:

>"ms" <lav...@cygnus.uwa.edu> wrote in message
>> Somebody stuck a screwdriver in the lock of my 94 Falcon
>> and twisted the lock, to break in.
>
><snip>
>
>They probably didn't twist the lock to open the door, but that's of little
>consequence to you I guess. Having easily opened locks isn't forward
>thinking on Ford's part to "save money" on repair expenses, but rather a
>foible with the locks, or rather the door handles, themselves.

The lock barrels sit in a 'keyed' hole in the door with a large metal
clip holding it in from the back, simply bang the tibbe lock hard
enough and the whole barrel moves out of the keyed hole, rotate the
barrel and presto she unlocks, no damage to the locks or door handle
neither!

Kieron

Ross MacPherson

Nov 11, 2002, 9:47:47 PM11/11/02
Do you think that's really wise posting that sort of info on the internet
Noddy?

TheTaipan

Nov 11, 2002, 10:10:03 PM11/11/02
Happened to my brother-in-law's xr6 ute (AUIII) got in with a screw driver
and couldn't get into the glovebox lock!

Did a lot of damage to dash and dash had to be replaced...

TheTaipan

Nov 11, 2002, 10:14:54 PM11/11/02
I cannot believe how much trouble people had with XD/E/F doorhandles!

I had an XF for years and only one door (frequently used by a passenger who
was rough) needed repairing - dad's XD was a little worse, but I was very
surprised when I first heard of door handle problems!!!
"Dan" <xt...@perthmail.com> wrote in message

D Walford

Nov 11, 2002, 11:34:14 PM11/11/02

TheTaipan wrote:

> I cannot believe how much trouble people had with XD/E/F doorhandles!
>
> I had an XF for years and only one door (frequently used by a passenger who
> was rough) needed repairing - dad's XD was a little worse, but I was very
> surprised when I first heard of door handle problems!!!

Me too.
I had an XD p/van for over 300,000klms and I only replaced one door
handle and it cost me $15.00 and about half an hour to fit.
Hardly a huge problem IMO.
Lack of maintenance, lubrication and door adjustment, is usually the
cause.
Instead of fixing the cause the owners just wrench the door handles off.
Old Falcon door handles are weak but won't cause problems if looked
after.

Daryl

Alex

Nov 11, 2002, 11:51:16 PM11/11/02
A mate of mine owned a kingswood while he was at Uni a few years back. The
battery was almost totally stuffed, so he installed a simple kill switch to stop
what was left of the power in the thing, draining out totally when he parked.

One night after coming back from a late class, there were a couple of blokes
sitting in the gutter next to his car with a car battery, he didn't think twice
about it, got in his car, flicked the kill switch and drove away. He noticed
that the car fired up pretty damn quickly compared to how it normally does, but
again, didn't think twice about it. When he noticed that the bonnet of the car
was rattling a fair bit, he stopped and checked it. The blokes in the gutter
had been trying to steal his car and had replaced his dud battery with a good
one. He'd showed up just at the right moment.

I just hope it was a battery that the thieves actually owned! Of course if it
was then they'd just go and steal another battery from somewhere, but still, it
was pretty funny.

Scribble

Nov 12, 2002, 12:44:36 AM11/12/02

"Graham" <zeb...@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message

> Noddy wrote:
> > Any pimply faced electronics boffin can get around the coding problem
>
> Sadly it doesn't even take a pimply faced kid.
>
> Simply quote the VIN number at a dealer and pay them $20 cash and
> they'll give you the PIN, no identification or proof of ownership
> required. I've done it recently for friends who had just bought the car.
> No ID required, no registration details, no proof of ownership, no
> credit card, just $20 cash.

When I had my EF the local Ford dealer gave me the PIN on checking my VIN
for free. :)

cheers
Steve

Graham

Nov 12, 2002, 12:58:41 AM11/12/02
Kieron Murphy wrote:
> With the BA, Ford have effectively made the stereo unstealable anyway!

Do tell, how have they done that???

Noddy

Nov 12, 2002, 7:16:30 AM11/12/02

"Ross MacPherson" <NOSPAMPLEASER...@anu.edu.au> wrote in message

> Do you think that's really wise posting that sort of info on the internet
> Noddy?

There's far more to worry about on the internet than the inadequacies of E
series Falcon door locks.

Regards,
Noddy.

Kieron Murphy

Nov 12, 2002, 8:28:11 PM11/12/02
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:58:41 +1100, Graham <zeb...@alphalink.com.au>
wrote:

>Kieron Murphy wrote:
>> With the BA, Ford have effectively made the stereo unstealable anyway!
>
>Do tell, how have they done that???

I was waiting for this :) I guess you could say they are still
stealable but its only going to fit another BA Falcon thereby making
it pointless to nick one!

Kieron

Kieron Murphy

Nov 12, 2002, 8:30:34 PM11/12/02
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:34:14 +1100, D Walford <wal...@iprimus.com.au>
wrote:

>Lack of maintenance, lubrication and door adjustment, is usually the
>cause.
>Instead of fixing the cause the owners just wrench the door handles off.
>Old Falcon door handles are weak but won't cause problems if looked
>after.

Spot on Daryl. Its like saying Falcon engines are shit cause they fail
@200,000 but the oil wasn't changed for the last 100,000k's :)

Lucifer-V8

Nov 12, 2002, 8:24:36 PM11/12/02

Yeah just wait for the door lock jumping disease. :-)

--
Regards
Dan. 93 S2 VP 3.8 A4, 00 S1 VX Gen 3 M6.

Graham

Nov 17, 2002, 3:32:40 AM11/17/02

Kieron Murphy wrote:
> I was waiting for this :) I guess you could say they are still
> stealable but its only going to fit another BA Falcon thereby making
> it pointless to nick one!

I haven't seen one yet, but I'm guessing it's something like the stereo
in a Ford Taurus?

Kieron Murphy

Nov 17, 2002, 10:48:02 PM11/17/02
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:32:40 +1100, Graham <zeb...@alphalink.com.au>
wrote:

Even better (or worse depending on how you look at it). The system is
basically integrated with the dash, uses an LCD panel shared with HVAC
display.

Kieron