OT: ping Noddy

lindsay

Jun 1, 2022, 3:41:27 AM6/1/22
I remember you were playing Cold Waters...

Did you end up doing the mod that allows Collins class (amongst a lot of
others) to feature?

https://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs#mod-installation-instructions

seems like it's designed for Steam-bought versions, whereas mine was
bought from GOG. If you did do the mod, have any issues?

Cold Waters... magic when you win. https://imgur.com/a/Pfp6MS2 no so
when some flog drops a torp from a helo.. :-)

(my mate did the forscan upgrade on his Ranga today, and he's as happy
as a pig in shit. My turn next week.)

Noddy

Jun 1, 2022, 8:43:51 AM6/1/22
On 1/06/2022 5:41 pm, lindsay wrote:
> I remember you were playing Cold Waters...
>
> Did you end up doing the mod that allows Collins class (amongst a lot of
> others) to feature?
>
> https://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs#mod-installation-instructions
>
> seems like it's designed for Steam-bought versions, whereas mine was
> bought from GOG. If you did do the mod, have any issues?

I've used a mod that allows playable subs in a single mission and
campaign mode, but not that one. I've used the Epic mod, and as the name
suggests it is very epic :) It keeps you very busy for a very long time,
and you can use the Collins class in campaign mode.

It works with either COG or Steam version as far as I'm aware, but you
need version 1.15g of the game for it to work at all and the
installation instructions have to be followed to the letter. Some people
have found the installation difficult but it worked first pop for me
without any trouble and I've been loving it ever since.

I wasn't aware of the playable subs mod, but I'll check it out. Thanks
for the link.

> Cold Waters... magic when you win. https://imgur.com/a/Pfp6MS2 no so
> when some flog drops a torp from a helo.. :-)

Lol :)

One of the things I like about the Epic mod is the anti air missles that
can be fired from periscope depth. Not available in the Collins class,
but in the Seawolf they're useful.

> (my mate did the forscan upgrade on his Ranga today, and he's as happy
> as a pig in shit. My turn next week.)

Cool. I'll definitely be looking into it.

From what I understand a lot of the annoying stuff in the new Wildtrak
can be switched on and off directly from within the car's configurable
settings menu, but at this stage details are still a little sketchy.
There's a few demo vids around but as they all seem to be in Thai with
no English subtitles it's a bit hard to tell exactly what's what.

I'll have to wait until it gets here to see what it's like, and if
reports on Facebook groups are anything to go by I probably won't see my
car until February/March next year.

Regards,
Noddy.

lindsay

Jun 2, 2022, 5:16:27 AM6/2/22
On 1/06/2022 10:43 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 1/06/2022 5:41 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> I remember you were playing Cold Waters...
>>
>> Did you end up doing the mod that allows Collins class (amongst a lot
>> of others) to feature?
>>
>> https://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs#mod-installation-instructions
>>

>> seems like it's designed for Steam-bought versions, whereas mine was
>> bought from GOG. If you did do the mod, have any issues?
>
> I've used a mod that allows playable subs in a single mission and
> campaign mode, but not that one. I've used the Epic mod, and as the name
> suggests it is very epic :) It keeps you very busy for a very long time,
> and you can use the Collins class in campaign mode.

Whats the link?

> It works with either COG or Steam version as far as I'm aware, but you
> need version 1.15g of the game for it to work at all and the
> installation instructions have to be followed to the letter. Some people
> have found the installation difficult but it worked first pop for me
> without any trouble and I've been loving it ever since.
>
> I wasn't aware of the playable subs mod, but I'll check it out. Thanks
> for the link.

Yep seems this mod is the same.. I guess I'll have a crack at install,
and just use my own path to the directory and files and see how it goes.
Thats the beauty of GOG, I've d/loaded the game onto my NAS, so if it
goes tits up, easy to reinstall rather than re-downlaod.

>> Cold Waters... magic when you win. https://imgur.com/a/Pfp6MS2 no so
>> when some flog drops a torp from a helo.. :-)
>
> Lol :)
>
> One of the things I like about the Epic mod is the anti air missles that
> can be fired from periscope depth. Not available in the Collins class,
> but in the Seawolf they're useful.

Bwahahaha never used them, but the look on the Kamov pilots face as a
missile broke through the surface would be awesome!.. :-)

Seawolf class.. swoon... :-) Must revisit some scenarios with Virginia
class too...

>> (my mate did the forscan upgrade on his Ranga today, and he's as happy
>> as a pig in shit. My turn next week.)
>
> Cool. I'll definitely be looking into it.
>
> From what I understand a lot of the annoying stuff in the new Wildtrak
> can be switched on and off directly from within the car's configurable
> settings menu, but at this stage details are still a little sketchy.

I need to join a ford ranger forum, never really bothered too much, but
there's a few things I'd like to see what other owners have done...

> There's a few demo vids around but as they all seem to be in Thai with
> no English subtitles it's a bit hard to tell exactly what's what.
>
> I'll have to wait until it gets here to see what it's like, and if
> reports on Facebook groups are anything to go by I probably won't see my
> car until February/March next year.

Glad I ordered mine when I did. Was a 3 months delay. Worth the wait.
One thing i'll do before I quit is find some tyres that handle 4x4 a bit
better than the bridgestone HT's on it. They are good, quiet, and have
good grip on bitumen, but they're not 4x4 tyres. Perhaps Hancock... I
cant remember what breed I had on the Navara at the end, but they were
okay.

Your bus' delay is not unusual. Neighbour is coming up to 12 months wait
for his DMax....It's now starting to turn to shit at work, re materials
supply... my customer is having issues getting steel for hydraulic
cylinders, and when they get 'em and send 'em to me, I cant get
chemicals to do my job without 6-8 weeks delay. I've ordered 12 months
supply of one chemical, knowing I'm outa here in 6. They wont be able to
make all the stuff I want, but the order is a heads up. Spoke to sales
rep yesterday, he's pulling the pin in December. His retiring will leave
a massive hole in this company's knowledge. Fibreglass isnt just a
matter of adding catalyst to resin. Still, wont mean too much to me. My
last day is November 30, I'll spend December getting rid of all the
moulds, selling all the stuff, cleaning the place, and either auction
the joint for a figure I have in my head; and if that fails (unlikely at
this stage!), I'll simply put a for sale sign up, and it can sit and rot
till someone supplies the readies.. :-)

I've already been sounded out as a consultant (fuck me!) .. wonder what
the rates are for standing back and talking for 3 months? :-)

Best be quick, my retirement present to myself (and family) is a cruise
into the Pacific Islands next year, in a penthouse suite on P&O's
Pacific Explorer. Fuck the gold watch! :-) I can hear it now...
"Another Bloody Mary, Mr Lindsay?" "Yep, no garnish". :-)

Noddy

Jun 2, 2022, 8:14:23 AM6/2/22
On 2/06/2022 7:16 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 1/06/2022 10:43 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> seems like it's designed for Steam-bought versions, whereas mine was
>>> bought from GOG. If you did do the mod, have any issues?
>>
>> I've used a mod that allows playable subs in a single mission and
>> campaign mode, but not that one. I've used the Epic mod, and as the
>> name suggests it is very epic :) It keeps you very busy for a very
>> long time, and you can use the Collins class in campaign mode.
>
> Whats the link?

Would have been smart of me to provide that, wouldn't it? :)

> https://coldhunter.ru/en

That's the link to the current version of the mod which I haven't tried
yet but I'm downloading as we speak. It's a 2.5Gb rar file, but the
server is pretty fast.

>> It works with either COG or Steam version as far as I'm aware, but you
>> need version 1.15g of the game for it to work at all and the
>> installation instructions have to be followed to the letter. Some
>> people have found the installation difficult but it worked first pop
>> for me without any trouble and I've been loving it ever since.
>>
>> I wasn't aware of the playable subs mod, but I'll check it out. Thanks
>> for the link.
>
> Yep seems this mod is the same.. I guess I'll have a crack at install,
> and just use my own path to the directory and files and see how it goes.

Yeah, that's what I did. As long as you follow the folder hierarchy
relative to where your game files are located you should be fine.

> Thats the beauty of GOG, I've d/loaded the game onto my NAS, so if it
> goes tits up, easy to reinstall rather than re-downlaod.

Nice.

>>> Cold Waters... magic when you win. https://imgur.com/a/Pfp6MS2 no so
>>> when some flog drops a torp from a helo.. :-)
>>
>> Lol :)
>>
>> One of the things I like about the Epic mod is the anti air missles
>> that can be fired from periscope depth. Not available in the Collins
>> class, but in the Seawolf they're useful.
>
> Bwahahaha never used them, but the look on the Kamov pilots face as a
> missile broke through the surface would be awesome!.. :-)

Lol :)

> Seawolf class.. swoon... :-)  Must revisit some scenarios with Virginia
> class too...

You can choose land attack missions with an Ohio class, and you can also
play in surface vessel mode which can be fun. The Battleship USS
Missouri is a playable surface vessel and it's fun to get to fire those
massive guns, but it has fuck all in the way of misile defence systems
and if you can last more than 10 minutes in any battle you're doing well :)

>>> (my mate did the forscan upgrade on his Ranga today, and he's as
>>> happy as a pig in shit. My turn next week.)
>>
>> Cool. I'll definitely be looking into it.
>>
>>  From what I understand a lot of the annoying stuff in the new
>> Wildtrak can be switched on and off directly from within the car's
>> configurable settings menu, but at this stage details are still a
>> little sketchy.
>
> I need to join a ford ranger forum, never really bothered too much, but
> there's a few things I'd like to see what other owners have done...

There's some useful information about.

>> There's a few demo vids around but as they all seem to be in Thai with
>> no English subtitles it's a bit hard to tell exactly what's what.
>>
>> I'll have to wait until it gets here to see what it's like, and if
>> reports on Facebook groups are anything to go by I probably won't see
>> my car until February/March next year.
>
> Glad I ordered mine when I did. Was a 3 months delay. Worth the wait.
> One thing i'll do before I quit is find some tyres that handle 4x4 a bit
> better than the bridgestone HT's on it. They are good, quiet, and have
> good grip on bitumen, but they're not 4x4 tyres. Perhaps Hancock... I
> cant remember what breed I had on the Navara at the end, but they were
> okay.

Yhe Yokohama Geolanders on my Navara have been a decent tyre and a lot
of people seem to like them as a good all-rounder. The bloke I bought
the ute from had only put them on 5k km's before I bought it from him,
and I'm only just about to replace them now some 60k km's later. I can't
vouch for their off-road ability as I've only ever used 4WD once and
that was just around the back yard to see if it actually worked :)

> Your bus' delay is not unusual. Neighbour is coming up to 12 months wait
> for his DMax....It's now starting to turn to shit at work, re materials
> supply... my customer is having issues getting steel for hydraulic
> cylinders, and when they get 'em and send 'em to me, I cant get
> chemicals to do my job without 6-8 weeks delay.

It's everywhere.

I don't buy anywhere near as much stuff as I used to, but even in the
little quantities I *do* buy these days it's pot luck as to when you're
going to get it. Simple everyday "tune up" parts that you'd have by 2pm
if you ordered them before 10am are now 2,3 or more days wait because
there's no stock, and paint for some reason is incredibly hard to get.

My favourite paint brand at the moment is Valspar's 2 pak range, and
I've been waiting since September last year for some of their stuff to
arrive. Particularly their HS35 primer which is almost impossible to
find around here.

> I've ordered 12 months supply of one chemical, knowing I'm outa here in 6. They wont be able to
> make all the stuff I want, but the order is a heads up. Spoke to sales
> rep yesterday, he's pulling the pin in December. His retiring will leave
> a massive hole in this company's knowledge. Fibreglass isnt just a
> matter of adding catalyst to resin.

The only person who would think it is would be Clasner, but then he
surely has a mate who invented the stuff and has told him all about it
over many a long conversation.

> Still, wont mean too much to me. My
> last day is November 30, I'll spend December getting rid of all the
> moulds, selling all the stuff,  cleaning the place, and either auction
> the joint for a figure I have in my head; and if that fails (unlikely at
> this stage!), I'll simply put a for sale sign up, and it can sit and rot
> till someone supplies the readies.. :-)

Ka-Ching :)

> I've already been sounded out as a consultant (fuck me!) .. wonder what
> the rates are for standing back and talking for 3 months? :-)

Hopefully shit-tonnes better than what they are for getting dirty :)

> Best be quick, my retirement present to myself (and family) is a cruise
> into the Pacific Islands next year, in a penthouse suite on P&O's
> Pacific Explorer. Fuck the gold watch! :-)  I can hear it now...
> "Another Bloody Mary, Mr Lindsay?" "Yep, no garnish". :-)

Hahahaha :)

lindsay

Jun 2, 2022, 5:42:22 PM6/2/22
On 2/06/2022 10:14 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> I've used a mod that allows playable subs in a single mission and
>>> campaign mode, but not that one. I've used the Epic mod, and as the
>>> name suggests it is very epic :) It keeps you very busy for a very
>>> long time, and you can use the Collins class in campaign mode.
>>
>> Whats the link?
>
> Would have been smart of me to provide that, wouldn't it? :)

:-D

>> https://coldhunter.ru/en

Thanks. I'll take a peek over the weekend, but already preparing for the
Queens Bday Loooooong Weekend :-)
Now that sounds like fun!!

Ever play Harpoon?

--
"If his story wasn't total and utter bullshit, it would be a doddle for
him to get the info. Trouble is, he was never involved in the incident.

"I was never in doubt that the accident took place." xeno 12/08/18

Noddy

Jun 2, 2022, 7:42:49 PM6/2/22
On 3/06/2022 7:42 am, lindsay wrote:

>>> Whats the link?
>>
>> Would have been smart of me to provide that, wouldn't it? :)
>
> :-D
>

>>> https://coldhunter.ru/en
>
> Thanks. I'll take a peek over the weekend, but already preparing for the
> Queens Bday Loooooong Weekend :-)

Lol :)

>> You can choose land attack missions with an Ohio class, and you can
>> also play in surface vessel mode which can be fun. The Battleship USS
>> Missouri is a playable surface vessel and it's fun to get to fire
>> those massive guns, but it has fuck all in the way of misile defence
>> systems and if you can last more than 10 minutes in any battle you're
>> doing well :)
>
> Now that sounds like fun!!
>
> Ever play Harpoon?

Yeah, it was great back in the day. I've played most sub sims, and
there's been a few classics. I think Cold Waters is awesome despite it's
limitations and I still play Silent Hunter 4 on occasion with a bunch of
mods to make it bat shit crazy :)