OT: Fuck me

Trevor Wilson

Aug 30, 2021, 2:59:03 AM8/30/21
I recall, very well, how, when NASA sorted out the Hubble telescope, the
magnificent images we saw. Simply breath-taking beautiful.

Now, they're sending this sucker up:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/to-see-further-and-further-back-in-time-the-james-webb-telescope-20210830-p58n3e.html

SIX times the surface area of the mirror in the Hubble.

WOW!

I can't wait to see what they find.

Noddy

Aug 30, 2021, 3:15:20 AM8/30/21
Be interesting. Whether it justifies the cost will be another argument
though :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Daryl

Aug 30, 2021, 3:25:37 AM8/30/21
Should be interesting.
I've got a cheap telescope and recently have been looking at Jupiter and
Saturn, Venus is also very visible but its so bright it hard to see much
detail.
Pretty incredible what those mega expensive telescopes can see.

--
Daryl

Xeno

Aug 30, 2021, 4:08:30 AM8/30/21
The scientific spin-offs will always be worth it Darren. Again, you
demonstrate a real lack of understanding of *investment* in science. If
the world was full of non-visionary, non-thinking people like you, we'd
still be back in the stone age.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)