Nulon

Yosemite Sam

Sep 9, 2021, 12:50:21ā€ÆAM9/9/21

I wanted to see if Nulon has the same effects in my Lancer as it did in
the Magna, so I tried it, and it does!

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

keithr0

Sep 9, 2021, 1:23:27ā€ÆAM9/9/21
On 9/09/2021 2:52 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

> I wanted to see if Nulon has the same effects in my Lancer as it did in
> the Magna, so I tried it, and it does!

I.E. nothing.

Noddy

Sep 9, 2021, 3:22:41ā€ÆAM9/9/21
:)

Regards,
Noddy.

Yosemite Sam

Sep 9, 2021, 3:29:07ā€ÆAM9/9/21
On 9/09/2021 3:23 pm, keithr0 wrote:
nope

Xeno

Sep 9, 2021, 4:45:59ā€ÆAM9/9/21
On 9/9/21 2:52 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

> I wanted to see if Nulon has the same effects in my Lancer as it did in
> the Magna, so I tried it, and it does!

Personally, I wouldn't put any additive in a car under factory warranty
unless the factory warranty calls for it - like coolant. All you are
doing is giving the dealer an opt out should you ever need to make a
warranty claim on something in the engine or related ancilliaries, ie.
catalytic converter. You really don't want the onus to be on you to
prove the additive did no harm.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Yosemite Sam

Sep 9, 2021, 4:55:34ā€ÆAM9/9/21
On 9/09/2021 6:45 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 9/9/21 2:52 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>>
>> I wanted to see if Nulon has the same effects in my Lancer as it did
>> in the Magna, so I tried it, and it does!
>>
> Personally, I wouldn't put any additive in a car under factory
> warranty unless the factory warranty calls for it - like coolant. All
> you are doing is giving the dealer an opt out should you ever need to
> make a warranty claim on something in the engine or related
> ancilliaries, ie. catalytic converter. You really don't want the onus
> to be on you to prove the additive did no harm.

good point

Daryl

Sep 9, 2021, 5:01:05ā€ÆAM9/9/21
LOL, exactly.

--
Daryl

Yosemite Sam

Sep 9, 2021, 5:11:43ā€ÆAM9/9/21
your opinion doesn't count

Mountain Magpie

Sep 9, 2021, 5:13:41ā€ÆAM9/9/21
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 17:31:40 +1000, Yosemite Sam posted:-

> On 9/09/2021 3:23 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> > On 9/09/2021 2:52 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> >>
> >> I wanted to see if Nulon has the same effects in my Lancer as it
> >> did in the Magna, so I tried it, and it does!
> >>
> > I.E. nothing.
>

> nope

So what proof do you have that it did actually make a difference to the
car, and not just your wallet?

Clocky

Sep 9, 2021, 5:49:08ā€ÆAM9/9/21
On 9/09/2021 3:31 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 9/09/2021 3:23 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 9/09/2021 2:52 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>>>
>>> I wanted to see if Nulon has the same effects in my Lancer as it did
>>> in the Magna, so I tried it, and it does!
>>>
>> I.E. nothing.
>

> nope

So... what did it supposedly do?

Clocky

Sep 9, 2021, 5:58:59ā€ÆAM9/9/21
On 9/09/2021 5:14 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 9/09/2021 7:01 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> I.E. nothing.
>>

>> LOL, exactly.
>>

> your opinion doesn't count

Well OK, even if it did something you shouldn't be putting anything
except the specified oil in the engine.

It could affect your warranty.

Yosemite Sam

Sep 9, 2021, 8:47:13ā€ÆAM9/9/21
I can tell the difference between when I use it and when I don't. engine
is smoother and more powerful. I barely touch the accelerator to do 60
klmph. ie. less depression than sans nulon. i use the same petrol
station every time. ie. same fuel.

Yosemite Sam

Sep 9, 2021, 8:51:44ā€ÆAM9/9/21
it's a fuel additive

Xeno

Sep 9, 2021, 9:13:59ā€ÆAM9/9/21
On 9/9/21 10:54 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 9/09/2021 7:58 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> your opinion doesn't count
>>>

>> Well OK, even if it did something you shouldn't be putting anything
>> except the specified oil in the engine.
>>
>> It could affect your warranty.
>>

> it's a fuel additive

Fuel additives end up in the sump. Some of it anyway, along with
quantities of raw fuel. Most of that occurs on cold starts/short runs
where engine clearances are greatest and fuel hard to vapourise.

Yosemite Sam

Sep 9, 2021, 9:54:17ā€ÆAM9/9/21
On 9/09/2021 11:13 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 9/9/21 10:54 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> Well OK, even if it did something you shouldn't be putting anything
>>> except the specified oil in the engine.
>>>
>>> It could affect your warranty.
>>>

>> it's a fuel additive
>>
> Fuel additives end up in the sump. Some of it anyway, along with
> quantities of raw fuel. Most of that occurs on cold starts/short runs
> where engine clearances are greatest and fuel hard to vapouris

i find it surprising that would occur with modern computer controlled
fuel injected engines

Xeno

Sep 9, 2021, 10:16:06ā€ÆAM9/9/21
Cold engine, fuel condenses on the cylinder walls and combustion
chambers. This *liquid fuel* will do two things; wash the oil from the
cylinder walls and make its way down past the rings into the sump.This
will proceed in a diminishing capacity as the engine warms up. Leave the
engine idling while it warms up and it will last longer, drive off
immediately the engine stabilises and the engine warms up quickly. Of
course you need to keep the engine a gear lower, revs a little higher
with no hard acceleration and she'll be apples. Most cars with OD and
lockup TCs will do this automatically anyway - they isolate the OD with
a timer or temp sensor. It's also good for the trans to not accelerate
hard until the trans warms up to operating temp. That's related to the
cold viscosity of the trans fluid.

Clocky

Sep 9, 2021, 11:05:17ā€ÆAM9/9/21
On 9/09/2021 8:54 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 9/09/2021 7:58 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> your opinion doesn't count
>>>

>> Well OK, even if it did something you shouldn't be putting anything
>> except the specified oil in the engine.
>>
>> It could affect your warranty.
>>

> it's a fuel additive

Nulon make a lot of additives.

Yosemite Sam

Sep 9, 2021, 7:30:56ā€ÆPM9/9/21
I'm not getting it. there's no fuel in the cylinders when the engine's
not running.

Yosemite Sam

Sep 9, 2021, 7:31:30ā€ÆPM9/9/21
yeah my bad

Yosemite Sam

Sep 9, 2021, 7:38:22ā€ÆPM9/9/21
> yeah my bad I didn't specify

didn't realize there were so many products. this is what I use

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/fuel-treatments/petrol-injector-cleaner

Clocky

Sep 9, 2021, 8:40:08ā€ÆPM9/9/21
Don't waste your money. Just throw in a tank of PULP every now and then.

Yosemite Sam

Sep 9, 2021, 9:21:21ā€ÆPM9/9/21
that would actually cost more (i think). anyway, I have half a dozen
bottles I bought a while ago on specialĀ  :)

Xeno

Sep 9, 2021, 10:32:25ā€ÆPM9/9/21
When you *first start it*, there is fuel *accumulating* on the cylinder
walls, fuel that either condenses due to contact with the cold surfaces
or fuel that was not evaporated to begin with. After all, a cold start
mixture is typically as low as 9:1 but I've seen them as low (rich) as
5:1, much richer than a warm engine requires (14.7:1. Even an engine
under hard acceleration only requires richening to about 12:1 and,
because the engine is fully warmed up, this fuel will *mostly* vapourise
and be burnt.

The point to be made here is that *liquid petrol* does not burn. That
means, when running a cold engine with a rich mixture, a considerable
quantity of fuel remains in the cylinders in liquid form. That liquid
fuel is able to pass by the rings due to increased clearances when the
engine is cold. That fuel mixes with and dilutes the engine oil. If you
then go for a decent long run at highway speeds, that accumulated fuel
in the sump will then evaporate aided and abetted by the PCV system.
Particles, such as those found in the fuel additives may not evaporate
and will remain.

A good example is an injector cleaner I used in my previous Corolla. The
injector cleaner worked perfectly well freeing up my sticking injector.
That injector cleaner was added to the tank of fuel, like your Nulon
additive, but the instructions on the bottle clearly stated that I must
change the engine oil immediately after use, ie. once the tank of fuel
was emptied. This I did, and the reason was that the additives will end
up in the sump mixed with the engine oil and may form harmful compounds.
The additive is, after all, a pretty efficient *solvent*. It needs to be
since it needs to remove gum and varnish from fuel system internals. I
would suspect that the additive in the Nulon would also have some
solvents as part of its makeup. In general, fuels these days are pretty
good but 91 tends to be only passable and will lead to gum and varnish
buildup. you would get more benefit from occasionally running a tank of
98 octane fuel through your car since that fuel has absolutely no added
ethanol and much more effective fuel system cleaning agents, agents that
will not cause issues if they end up in the sump mixed with the engine oil.

HTH

Xeno

Sep 9, 2021, 10:37:32ā€ÆPM9/9/21
Yeah, 98 will work wonders and he'll probably save a bit of money too.

Clocky

Sep 12, 2021, 6:56:22ā€ÆAM9/12/21
Should work out a bit cheaper.

anyway, I have half a dozen
> bottles I bought a while ago on specialĀ  :)

Might as well use them if you have already bought them.