if Scomo were a car mechanic

The Stig

Sep 12, 2021, 8:04:53 AM9/12/21
Hey I couldn't order any brake pads, but I greased the door hinges so
they open up faster!

Clocky

Sep 13, 2021, 12:10:25 AM9/13/21
On 12/09/2021 8:04 pm, The Stig wrote:
> Hey I couldn't order any brake pads, but I greased the door hinges so
> they open up faster!

Incompetent or not, if Slomo was a car mechanic he'd still be one up on
the fraud!

Xeno

Sep 13, 2021, 5:08:43 AM9/13/21
Well, we "know" Darren is incompetent, Les' engine is the proof of that
and that little escapade doesn't say much for Daryl's *competence* either.

Back on the 9th, Darren made these comments;

On 9/9/21 12:17 pm, Noddy wrote:
> You were very lucky. Blue and Black Holden engines were
> notoriously unreliable and well known for their relatively
> short life spans. When I was an automotive machinist in a former
> life for Repco the workshop was right next door to Alan Mance
> motors who were a Holden dealer. We used to do all their warranty
> machine work, and there was a *hell* of a lot of it. Especially
> on Blue Holden V8 engines that would be worn to the point of
> having poor compression by as little as 60k km's.

The lies start very early on with his extremely fraudulent claim to
being an auto machinist. A Holden *blue* V8 worn out by as little as 60k
klms? I call bullshit on that claim since the red block and blue block
V8s were the same casting, the difference being in the heads and other
bolt-on ancilliaries like the manifold, 4 barrel Quadrajet, ignition
system. These ancilliaries were *more efficient* and the blue block was
the recommended start point for performance mods. Poor compression by
60k klms? Bullshit! The *block* is the same.

Darren followed up that laughable bit of bullshit with this;

On 9/9/21 12:17 pm, Noddy wrote:
> The pinking (or pinging as it's more commonly known in Australia
> was probably due to the fact that they gave the engine a massive
> overbore which raised the compression ratio considerably. I've not
> heard of Higginbottom, but if they were anything like Gem or
> Goldstar it used to be common practice back in the day to bore all
> their engines straight to a 1/8th inch oversize. Their logic behind
> that ridiculous practice was that it sped up the process as engines
> didn't need to be inspected after they were dismantled and where all
> just cut to the one massive oversize. The disadvantage was for the
> customer, as being a thin-wall block Holden engines didn't like
> having half their cylinder wall thickness cut out and they suffered
> horribly from bore distortion, ring flutter and overheat issues.
>
> Your fuel economy and random stalling problems were tuning issues.

A massive overbore? I call bullshit on that. All the engine
reconditioners out there at the time used standard overbore sizes. These
were;
first overbore size = +020",
second overbore size = +040",
third overbore size = +060"

The reason they use those steps is that 020" is half a millimetre so it
is *convenient*.
The allowance for bore taper back in those days was 009"-010". It's
obvious to all but the unknowing that a 010" rebore wasn't on the cards
except on an engine that was *well under* that level of taper. So, No,
010" was never a rebore option for reconditioners. But then, neither was
080" because that would have meant a very thin cylinder wall. What's
more, if the cylinder casting was even the slightest bit misaligned from
core shift during casting, the likelihood of breaking through the
cylinder wall was very high. Even with a 060" overbore, it was
definitely recommended that a sonic wall thickness test be carried out
before boring. Some Chev 350 blocks with moderate core shift couldn't be
bored more than +030" before cylinder wall thickness was compromised.

The way H&M Engines operated was they would wait until they had a heap
of common engines - like the I6 Holdens, for instance. Then they would
strip all engines and measure the blocks. Anything that would clean up
at +020" would go into one pile, anything that wouldn't clean up at that
would be put into the +040" pile. For some engines there *might* be a
+060" pile, for blocks known to have issues there wouldn't be a +060"
pile. They didn't have a +080" pile, they would only be done as special
order, onus on owner, and not as part of the normal exchange engine
rebuilding process. Gem, Goldstar and all the other major engine
reconditioners operated in much the same way.

Common practice to bore *all* the engines straight to 1/8" oversize? I
call bullshit on that since 1/8th of an inch is 0.125". Not many engines
will handle that, especially on later engine blocks where weight saving
became an issue with castings leaving a lot less leeway for the boring
bar to do its stuff. They'd get bore distortion all right, especially
when the boring bar cutter broke through the cylinder wall. Hell, I6
Holden engines would be lucky to get to +080" and will have possible
overheating issues at +060" overbore

If ever anyone needed proof that Darren was never a machinist, you have
it right there in the post cited above. He has no idea of the system
employed in engine reconditioning companies, especially the large ones
like Repco, yet he *claims* he was an apprentice auto machinist at
Repco. I used to share a staffroom with 6 auto machinists including one
who was foreman at the Footscray workshop where *and when* Darren claims
he was an apprentice with Repco. It's a small world and, for Darren, a
tad too small. ;-) Such a pity Repco sent all their auto machining
apprentices to Richmond TAFE. I really must have that *catch-up* with
Darren's former boss when next I manage to get myself down to Melbourne.
Certainly I've missed the past couple of staff past and present annual
gatherings.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Yosemite Sam

Sep 13, 2021, 10:12:11 AM9/13/21
V8 engines typically have longevity. I can't imagine ANY needing
reconditioning at 60 klms, only 37 miles!
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Trevor Wilson

Sep 13, 2021, 4:45:59 PM9/13/21
**60k klms = 60,000 km

You missed the 'k'.

A mate's wife drives a late model S Class (V8) Benz. The engine failed
catastrophically at 90,000 km.

Clocky

Sep 13, 2021, 7:00:07 PM9/13/21
He meant 60000 kms and 37000 miles I'm sure. In any event, the fraud
doesn't know what he is talking about and is making this shit up as he
goes. The blue motor V8 had good longevity. If you know nothing about
cars you might get sucked into his bullshit but he's not fooling
qualified people with trade experience. Obviously. Note not one of his
numbnut mates has any trade experience. Daryl was such a good mechanic
that he became a warranty clerk and left that job to become a dunny
brush! The fraud gives him plenty to help flush in here!

> A mate's wife drives a late model S Class (V8) Benz. The engine failed
> catastrophically at 90,000 km.

That's why Mercs have no resale value ;-) You just never know!
Should have been fixed under warranty though, even if out of warranty
(within reason).

Noddy

Sep 13, 2021, 7:03:56 PM9/13/21
Felix isn't all that bright. He'd miss it if it was tattooed into his
forehead and he had to look at it in the mirror every morning.

> A mate's wife drives a late model S Class (V8) Benz. The engine failed
> catastrophically at 90,000 km.

A catastrophic failure is different to what I'm talking about, which is
engines being worn out to the point of needing to be reconditioned at
mileages as low as 60 thousand km's.

The problem with a lot of Australian manufactured stuff during the
1980's was the quality of the cast iron used in it's manufacture. It got
"cheap" for whatever reason, and it affected all of the engines made by
Holden, Ford and Mitsubishi. I don't know if that was because they used
different materials or because they all had a change in their
manufacturing processes, but what I *can* tell you is that it was as
soft as butter and had little wear resistance compared to older stuff
and where you noticed it was in the machine shop.

For example, when setting up to bore a V8 engine block you would "point"
your cutting tool to put a sharp cutting edge on it, and then usually
with a decent quality engine block you would pull the tool out after
each cylinder had been cut and just give it a quick touch up on the
diamond dresser to maintain the edge so the bore finish could be keep
smooth enough to clean up with as little honing as possible.

But not with Blue motor blocks :)

With those, they were soft enough that you could bore all 8 cylinders
without ever having to dress the tool. Black Cleveland engines were the
same, and so were Magna engines. The quality of the cast iron was
appallingly bad, and a large number of them were sleeve jobs.

Regards,
Noddy.

Yosemite Sam

Sep 13, 2021, 7:35:10 PM9/13/21
yes brain and fingers not in sync. it's what was in my mind. i wasn't
suggesting an engine needs reconditioning at under 100k, lol.

> In any event, the fraud doesn't know what he is talking about and is
> making this shit up as he goes. The blue motor V8 had good longevity.
> If you know nothing about cars you might get sucked into his bullshit
> but he's not fooling qualified people with trade experience.
> Obviously. Note not one of his numbnut mates has any trade experience.
> Daryl was such a good mechanic that he became a warranty clerk and
> left that job to become a dunny brush! The fraud gives him plenty to
> help flush in here!
>

>> A mate's wife drives a late model S Class (V8) Benz. The engine
>> failed catastrophically at 90,000 km.
>>

> That's why Mercs have no resale value ;-) You just never know!
> Should have been fixed under warranty though, even if out of warranty
> (within reason).

Yosemite Sam

Sep 13, 2021, 7:43:50 PM9/13/21
still typing it wrong!  "reconditioning at under 100 klm"

alvey

Sep 13, 2021, 7:49:50 PM9/13/21
For someone who hates teachers the Fraudster sure does love to lecture.

alvey

Clocky

Sep 13, 2021, 8:06:16 PM9/13/21
If only he knew what he was talking about :-)

alvey

Sep 13, 2021, 8:58:57 PM9/13/21
History tells us that this is not going to happen...

alvey

Xeno

Sep 13, 2021, 9:14:23 PM9/13/21
Failing catastrophically is way different to *needing reconditioning*.
Only need a timing belt to break to fail catastrophically. To have a
worn out bore in 60k klms, that's an entirely different kettle of fish
and, I might add, unheard of in the trade. I made the point where the
blocks were identical to the previous reds and they were known as *very
long lasting*.

The problem here is the intervention of the Noddy Bullshit. There's been
a lot of it splashing around over the years.

Xeno

Sep 13, 2021, 9:24:26 PM9/13/21
Correction, the fraudster loves to bullshit.

Xeno

Sep 13, 2021, 11:20:18 PM9/13/21
Which were the exact same block as the earlier red blocks. The only
difference was the *colour* they were painted with.

>>> For someone who hates teachers the Fraudster sure does love to lecture.
>>>
>>> alvey
>>>

>> If only he knew what he was talking about :-)
>
> History tells us that this is not going to happen...

Indeed. Learning is something the fraudster isn't Ok with. Alien
concept, maybe? Certainly *failure to learn* seems to be a *pattern*
throughout his entire life.

> alvey

Xeno

Sep 13, 2021, 11:21:14 PM9/13/21
That would require a miracle. Do you believe in those?