4X4 Insurance.

Jeßus

Mar 25, 2014, 1:38:05 AM3/25/14
Just thought I'd ask those here with 4X4s about any recommendations
for insuring my Hilux.

I want agreed value, as it is an 1989 model, but damn near everything
has been replaced other than the engine and gearbox/transfer case.

I haven't made any queries myself as yet. Something akin to Shannons
would be good, but AFAIK they don't do 4x4s... any suggestions?
Cheers.

news13

Mar 25, 2014, 2:47:33 AM3/25/14
On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 16:38:05 +1100, Jeßus wrote:

> Just thought I'd ask those here with 4X4s about any recommendations for
> insuring my Hilux.
>
> I want agreed value, as it is an 1989 model,

NRMA, then you can bitch about the cost.
I forget the online site you can go to for a quote or three,

Jeßus

Mar 25, 2014, 2:50:49 AM3/25/14
NRMA? I think of them much like I think of Repco... which is I don't
at all ;)
Message has been deleted

lindsay

Mar 25, 2014, 3:24:56 AM3/25/14
On 25/03/2014 6:03 PM, Toby wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 16:38:05 +1100, Jeßus blathered on in:
> You DON'T want anything like shannons. It's an offshoot of one of the
> mainstream insurance 'giants' IIRC NRMA or somesuch.

Suncorp. the mob thats killing the auto refinishing industry in Victoria.

D Walford

Mar 25, 2014, 3:26:15 AM3/25/14
Mine (2X4) used to be insured with AAMI but after seeing a TV ad I
called Youi and the premium was almost half because I told them I only
did about 10,000km pa.
Only way to know how good an insurance co is is to have a claim which no
one wants, had one claim with AAMI and was happy with the result but
that was about 10yrs ago.

--
Daryl

keithr

Mar 25, 2014, 3:44:09 AM3/25/14
On 25/03/2014 5:03 PM, Toby wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 16:38:05 +1100, Jeßus blathered on in:
>
> You DON'T want anything like shannons. It's an offshoot of one of the
> mainstream insurance 'giants' IIRC NRMA or somesuch.
> There are actually bugger-all actual insurers.
> Same deal as most industries. Set up multiple companies and pretend to
> compete with each other.
> They always claim it about market share. It's not.

Suncorp owns the AAMI, Apia, Just Car Insurance, Shannons, InsureMyRide,
Vero, Terri Scheer, Bingle, CIL, Asteron and Tyndall insurance brands in
Australia, and Vero, Asteron, Guardian Trust, Tyndall, Vero Marine, Vero
Liability, AA Insurance, SIS, CMV/AXIOM, Mariner, Comprehensive Travel
Insurance and Autosure brands in New Zealand.

Shannons quoted $100 less for my MX5 than AAMI, strange since they are
in the same group.

Noddy

Mar 25, 2014, 4:07:44 AM3/25/14
On 25/03/14 6:03 PM, Toby wrote:

> You DON'T want anything like shannons. It's an offshoot of one of the
> mainstream insurance 'giants' IIRC NRMA or somesuch.

Yeah, so what? They offer excellent services.

> The other approach is to find out which 'corporations' own which
> insurance 'outlets'. It ain't easy.

And what will you gain by doing that?

> If you have the time, perhaps call the insurance watchdawd and ask some
> pertinent questions first. If nothing else it'll be amusing.

Helpful.

> If you're playing the agreed value game, READ THE CONTRACT very
> carefully - heard many stories about that not being honoured.

Everybody's heard stories. Wanna hear mine? I had an agreed value policy
and when I made a claim for a total loss I got six grand *more* than the
agreed value. The difference between this story and all the "others" is
that I actually got the cheque.

That was with AAMI. To quote Gomer Pile "Surprise surprise surprise".

> There's also the write-off trick where you pay a tad extra and you get the wreck
> - not bad if you haven't died in the thing:-)

Shannons give you that for free.

Regards,
Noddy.

Noddy

Mar 25, 2014, 4:09:02 AM3/25/14
On 25/03/14 6:44 PM, keithr wrote:

> Shannons quoted $100 less for my MX5 than AAMI, strange since they are
> in the same group.

They're run as separate entities, competing with each other under the
same company umbrella.

Regards,
Noddy.

Noddy

Mar 25, 2014, 4:09:45 AM3/25/14
On 25/03/14 6:26 PM, D Walford wrote:

> Mine (2X4) used to be insured with AAMI but after seeing a TV ad I
> called Youi and the premium was almost half because I told them I only
> did about 10,000km pa.

I'm with Coles. 400 bucks cheaper than AAMI :)

> Only way to know how good an insurance co is is to have a claim which no
> one wants, had one claim with AAMI and was happy with the result but
> that was about 10yrs ago.

Ditto.

Regards,
Noddy.

Jeßus

Mar 25, 2014, 4:30:20 AM3/25/14
On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 19:07:44 +1100, Noddy <m...@wardengineering.com.au>
wrote:
Do they? Never realised that. I have my Forester insured (agreed
value) with Shannons.

I've only made one claim with Shannons, and that was for a smashed
rear window. Counts as a windscreen, so one free windscreen per year
meant it was free. I rang them, told them what happened, 5 minutes
later I had a call from O'Briens asking me when I wanted to book it
in. I'm very happy with Shannons so far.

Jeßus

Mar 25, 2014, 4:34:21 AM3/25/14
On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 17:03:50 +1000, Toby <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 16:38:05 +1100, Jeßus blathered on in:
>
>You DON'T want anything like shannons.

LOL, yes I do.

>It's an offshoot of one of the
>mainstream insurance 'giants' IIRC NRMA or somesuch.

Yes they are, but it doesnt seem to be a problem. They're easily the
best insurance mob I've ever had to deal with.

>There are actually bugger-all actual insurers.
>Same deal as most industries. Set up multiple companies and pretend to
>compete with each other.
>They always claim it about market share. It's not.
>
>Best idea is to ring around. A Lot - it's the only way to avoid being
>taken off your feet, because if you only ring a few companies, odds-on
>that you'll be getting quotes from ONE company in reality.

I'm sure there'd be sites out there I could compare companies too.

>The other approach is to find out which 'corporations' own which
>insurance 'outlets'. It ain't easy.
>If you have the time, perhaps call the insurance watchdawd and ask some
>pertinent questions first. If nothing else it'll be amusing.
>If you're playing the agreed value game, READ THE CONTRACT very
>carefully - heard many stories about that not being honoured. There's
>also the write-off trick where you pay a tad extra and you get the wreck
>- not bad if you haven't died in the thing:-)

I'll be reading the contract... particularly on the question of agreed
value! Cheers

Jeßus

Mar 25, 2014, 4:37:19 AM3/25/14
Thanks, I'll check AAMI out. I should probably call Shannons, which my
Forester is insured with, and see who they suggest. I know they have
another offshoot company that deals in ordinary cars, 4WDs, etc.
They've been very good to deal with so far.

D Walford

Mar 25, 2014, 5:34:53 AM3/25/14
On 25/03/2014 7:09 PM, Noddy wrote:
> On 25/03/14 6:26 PM, D Walford wrote:
>
>> Mine (2X4) used to be insured with AAMI but after seeing a TV ad I
>> called Youi and the premium was almost half because I told them I only
>> did about 10,000km pa.
>
> I'm with Coles. 400 bucks cheaper than AAMI :)

I pay mine monthly and its only $39.00 pm, AAMI was $72.00 pm.

--
Daryl

Blue Heeler

Mar 25, 2014, 5:41:12 AM3/25/14
Jeßus wrote:

> Just thought I'd ask those here with 4X4s about any recommendations
> for insuring my Hilux.

You are pretty much in the same boat as me in that you have a good
reliable vehicle that suits you just fine, but which is worth bugger
all.

Insure it for 3rd party property, fire and theft only and put $30 a
week into an investment account entitled "Hilux replacement fund."

The odds are very much in your favour that by the time (if at all)
anything happens that might have otherwise triggered a claim on an
insurance policy, there will be enough in the deposit account to make a
serious hole in buying a replacement.

If nothing ever happens, by the time the Lux buckles at the knees you
will have more than enough to replace it with.

D Walford

Mar 25, 2014, 5:38:51 AM3/25/14
AFAIK as long as you stay on tracks that are marked on a map you don't
need specific 4WD insurance but it would be worth asking exactly where
you are covered.

--
Daryl
Message has been deleted

D Walford

Mar 25, 2014, 7:52:06 AM3/25/14
On 25/03/2014 10:32 PM, Toby wrote:

> Intrigued as to why insurance shyster drones of at least two of the
> scumbag companies i've had to deal with don't have real names, but they
> won't talk to you unless you give up all and any details about you.
> When challenged they mutter something about security. Riight.
> Are they all that BENT?
> No need for an answer there.
> They also record your calls, and have the gall to claim they have an
> exemption to the provisions of the Telecommunications (Interception and
> Access) Act (1979) I let them record 'some' calls - the ones where I'm
> letting them have it with both barrels. I refuse to let them record all
> others.
> I make them write letters to me, and refuse to co-operate with any of
> their automated templated correspondence that doesn't have a real name
> and signature.
> Makes them hopping mad. Arseholes all.
> BTW, they'll almost all refuse to send you a letter signifying they've
> backed out of anything.
> Arseholes all. Indeed.

Maybe but what is the alternative?
At least it appears there is some competition that is driving premiums
down, Budget Direct, Youi and Coles are lot cheaper but it remains to be
seen how they behave when its claim time.
Last car insurance claim we had was about 12yrs ago with AAMI and I have
no complaints about the way that claim was handled, in fact I can't
recall ever having an issue with insurance claims.
I hate paying insurance premiums as much as the next person, as recently
as today I worked out how much we are paying to insure my wife and
myself (life insurance) and believe it or not we are currently paying
around $230 per week for 3 policies, we now have an appointment with our
insurance advisor this Thursday and I intend to dramatically reduce that
amount as we have bugger all debt so no need to have so much cover.

--
Daryl
Message has been deleted

Noddy

Mar 25, 2014, 9:07:41 AM3/25/14
On 25/03/14 7:30 PM, Jeßus wrote:

> I've only made one claim with Shannons, and that was for a smashed
> rear window. Counts as a windscreen, so one free windscreen per year
> meant it was free. I rang them, told them what happened, 5 minutes
> later I had a call from O'Briens asking me when I wanted to book it
> in. I'm very happy with Shannons so far.

I've got my house and two cars with Shannons. I have my other cars with
Coles as they're cheaper.

Regards,
Noddy.

John_H

Mar 25, 2014, 4:59:16 PM3/25/14
Try WFI (Wesfarmers) and preferably talk to their manager for your
area. IIRC you'll find a list on their website, otherwise ring their
central office and ask for the contact details of your local rep.

You will pay a higher premium for agreed value which may or may not be
worthwhile depending on the listed market value. The choice is yours
but either way you'll also be covered off road on private property
whereas many other insurers don't.

--
John H

Jeßus

Mar 29, 2014, 6:33:36 PM3/29/14
On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 00:07:41 +1100, Noddy <m...@wardengineering.com.au>
wrote:
Coles eh? Thanks, I'll put them on my list.

Jeßus

Mar 29, 2014, 6:34:38 PM3/29/14
On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 20:38:51 +1100, D Walford
It surely would be worth asking, and I'll make it part of my criteria
when deciding, cheers.

Jeßus

Mar 29, 2014, 6:38:06 PM3/29/14
On 25 Mar 2014 09:41:12 GMT, "Blue Heeler" <wo...@bark.org> wrote:

>Jeßus wrote:
>
>> Just thought I'd ask those here with 4X4s about any recommendations
>> for insuring my Hilux.
>

>You are pretty much in the same boat as me in that you have a good
>reliable vehicle that suits you just fine, but which is worth bugger
>all.
>
>Insure it for 3rd party property, fire and theft only and put $30 a
>week into an investment account entitled "Hilux replacement fund."

That's not a bad idea BH, I may well do that yet. The only owes me
about $8.5K in total so far, I can see another $3K going into it, then
short of engine swaps, that'll be about it.

>The odds are very much in your favour that by the time (if at all)
>anything happens that might have otherwise triggered a claim on an
>insurance policy, there will be enough in the deposit account to make a
>serious hole in buying a replacement.

Yep.

>If nothing ever happens, by the time the Lux buckles at the knees you
>will have more than enough to replace it with.

Indeed. Short of accidents, the Hilux should last a decade.

Jeßus

Mar 29, 2014, 6:40:23 PM3/29/14
Thanks John, being covered on private property would be a significant
bonus. Will put Wesfarmers on my list.