Hilux engine swaps

Fakhina Sohl

Oct 23, 2003, 1:58:29 AM10/23/03
Early Hiluxes used 18R and 3Y 2.0 petrol engines. So did Coronas, and
several other models.

Is there any differences between the Hilux versions of these engines
and the Corona versions? If one had, theoretically, shagged out his
2.0 Hilux donk, could he pull an engine straight out of a Corona, bolt
it up, and drive away? Is a 3Y a 3Y is a 3Y?

Next part of the question - Hiluxes have always had diesel engines - I
don't know the engine series numbers. I would assume that, somewhere
out there in 4x4 land, somebody has swapped a petrol engine for a
diesel (or vice versa). What is involved in such a swap? Are they a
bolt-match, in the engine mount and bell-housing department?
Obviously, one would need to get all the fuel handling hardware with
the engine, whichever way they swapped.

Last part of the question - the petrol and diesel engines both evolved
and increased in size over the years. Most importantly, the early 2.4
NA diesel eventually turned in to a 2.8 turbodiesel. Are these engines
very closely related - again, are they a bolt-match for engine mounts
and bellhousings? Has anyone updated the engine in a Hilux to confirm
either way?

FWIW, the same is true with Daihatsu Rockies. I had a petrol 3Y in my
F85 Rocky. There was (IIRC) a 2.5 or 2.6 NA diesel in the same series,
and later models had a 2.8 TD. I'm not sure if they were Daihatsu's
own engines, or whether they were also Toyota engines (and quite
possibly the same as their contemporary Hilux engines). Same questions
apply. Bolt-match conversion, or is there fabricating involved?

These may all seem to be fairly random questions, but there is method.
Not strictly on-topic for a.c.o-r...but I have a dumb idea about
building a project car by putting, ideally, a 2.8 turbodiesel into a
Corona. If it would be (mostly) a bolt-in job, then I'd give it some
further thought. I just want a hack car to drive as well as learn more
about diesels, and a ute/truck doesn't really suit my requirements at
the moment. I'm picking on a Corona because I've had a couple of 'em,
and I like Toyotas - but if anyone can suggest another donor/recipient
combo, I'd be interested to hear it. An early Pajero turbodiesel in a
Sigma would be do-able, but I'm yet to hear anyone say anything good
about Mr Bishi's oilburners....

Thanks,

fs

Dan

Oct 23, 2003, 2:59:57 AM10/23/03

"Fakhina Sohl" <spamme...@soon.com> wrote in message

Yes you can use the 3Y or 4Y out of different models in the 84 - 88 Hilux.

The 5 speed box is a G52.
The G52 is a common box it the Hilux/Fourrunner/Surf 4 cylinder range used
with Petrol's and Diesels.
It is still used with the 5L-E Diesel.

The G52 has a separate bellhousing unlike the early 4 speeds.
To change the motor normally its just a matter of changing the bellhousing
to suit.
The engine mount locations did vary so you may have to have some fabricated
depending on what motor you use.

There are a heap of different Toyota motors you could use including turbo
and supercharged 6 Cyl supra motors.

I've recently been looking at replacing the V8 in my Hilux with a 1G-GTE 2
litre twin turbo Cyl.

Dan

kevcat

Oct 23, 2003, 8:29:24 AM10/23/03

Fakhina Sohl wrote:

> Early Hiluxes used 18R and 3Y 2.0 petrol engines. So did Coronas, and
> several other models.
>
> Is there any differences between the Hilux versions of these engines
> and the Corona versions? If one had, theoretically, shagged out his
> 2.0 Hilux donk, could he pull an engine straight out of a Corona, bolt
> it up, and drive away? Is a 3Y a 3Y is a 3Y?

Yes thay are the same engines

> Next part of the question - Hiluxes have always had diesel engines - I
> don't know the engine series numbers. I would assume that, somewhere
> out there in 4x4 land, somebody has swapped a petrol engine for a
> diesel (or vice versa). What is involved in such a swap? Are they a
> bolt-match, in the engine mount and bell-housing department?
> Obviously, one would need to get all the fuel handling hardware with
> the engine, whichever way they swapped.

2L and 3L were the 2.2-2.4 and 2.8 engine designation
Toyota vehicle designations can tell you what engine they had
an LN60 is a Diesel Hilux while a YN60 was the petrol model, the numbers
mean what model and year(40 Hiluxes were the 80-83 and 60 were 83-88 and
so on) and the N meant Hilux

These engine swaps have been done many times
just make sure you get everything from the donor diesel vehicle, fuel
filters and such
the wiring will also need to be changed to include the glowplug
relay(manual glowplug warmers can be salvaged from old diesel Jap trucks
and fitted, but that looks ugly, My Hilux has one)

Check the Sump placement, there were two sumps used on the Hilux, the
one for solid front axles and the IFS front(oil pan at the front or at
the rear)
so you may have to chase a sump to fit, Also you will need the oil pick
up for the sump you get, you may even have to drill and tap a couple of
holes for the oil pickup to fit(I did)

> Last part of the question - the petrol and diesel engines both evolved
> and increased in size over the years. Most importantly, the early 2.4
> NA diesel eventually turned in to a 2.8 turbodiesel. Are these engines
> very closely related - again, are they a bolt-match for engine mounts
> and bellhousings? Has anyone updated the engine in a Hilux to confirm
> either way?

The 2.8 was not available here as a turbodiesel
the gearboxes were the same in the 4WD models no mater what
engine(except for the imported surfs and others)
if you wanted a diesel engine for a Corona, check the gearbox type, you
may be able to use one from a 2WD Hilux if the Corona one does not match

> FWIW, the same is true with Daihatsu Rockies. I had a petrol 3Y in my
> F85 Rocky. There was (IIRC) a 2.5 or 2.6 NA diesel in the same series,
> and later models had a 2.8 TD. I'm not sure if they were Daihatsu's
> own engines, or whether they were also Toyota engines (and quite
> possibly the same as their contemporary Hilux engines). Same questions
> apply. Bolt-match conversion, or is there fabricating involved?

Daihatsu is part of Toyota (But still operates seperatly) and therefore
shares many engines and vehicles(Toyota Dyna and Daihatsu Delta trucks)
the 2.8 engine in the Rocky and other 4WDs were from 3L family(not sure
about the other earlier model engines)
the 2.8TD sould be a straight swap using Hilux bits

> These may all seem to be fairly random questions, but there is method.
> Not strictly on-topic for a.c.o-r...but I have a dumb idea about
> building a project car by putting, ideally, a 2.8 turbodiesel into a
> Corona. If it would be (mostly) a bolt-in job, then I'd give it some
> further thought. I just want a hack car to drive as well as learn more
> about diesels, and a ute/truck doesn't really suit my requirements at
> the moment. I'm picking on a Corona because I've had a couple of 'em,
> and I like Toyotas - but if anyone can suggest another donor/recipient
> combo, I'd be interested to hear it. An early Pajero turbodiesel in a
> Sigma would be do-able, but I'm yet to hear anyone say anything good
> about Mr Bishi's oilburners....

Toyota did make a diesel Corona, but not sold here

Kev

mudgutz

Nov 3, 2003, 10:01:04 PM11/3/03
mate i know that there is an 18r......theres also an 18rc this is the one
used in hiluxs/ hiaces dont know about the 3y

kevcat

Nov 4, 2003, 12:58:08 AM11/4/03
My old 82 I had in 85 had an 18R not 18RC

Kev

mudgutz

Nov 4, 2003, 7:03:55 PM11/4/03
are you sure kev.......
my sucker had the 18rc ...
"kevcat" <KevA...@dodo.com.au> wrote in message

Tony Smith

Nov 4, 2003, 7:59:00 PM11/4/03
All derivatives of the same thing.

The twin cam dual sidedraft Weber copy equipped 18RG goes pretty well in
Lux's too.....

Tony Smith

jlan...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2019, 10:48:31 PM4/22/19
So the 3y engines are the exact same? Between the 4x4 and 2wd? Oil pan, oil pick up bell housing ?