Scrub itch/mites. What do you suggest?

Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick

Mar 13, 2001, 5:40:25 AM3/13/01
Just looking for some different remedies to the good old scrub itch/ mite
problem well all experience from time to time. At the moment from head to
toes I am covered it little itchies which are all oozing now and driving me
crazy. I have had a good look , and I think they are prob tiny little ticks.
I have used metho, rid, t tree oil, but nothing seems to stop the itch,
which usually lasts a week to ten days. We were on a club walk and at least
10 of us have them. Any hints?
K and S

Gaza's Mail

Mar 13, 2001, 8:09:50 PM3/13/01

I have similar problem with leeches and had to resort to anti-histamines.
(can get on non-prescription)

On an old thread a discussion did start on the best brand as the main drug
does vary slightly (some more suited hay fever, some more suited to itchies)
but it was never resolved what the best one to buy was...????

Phil Box

Mar 13, 2001, 8:00:50 PM3/13/01
I know only too well the symptoms you are experiencing having been
attacked in the groin area[ouch brings tears to the eyes just remembering].
I`ve not been successful to date treating myself but upon reflection and
prompted by your plight, I could suggest maybe either an old fashioned
poultice of raw mashed onion and and raw mashed potatoe held in place
overnight with a bandage or even say try some drawing ointment, works
similar to a poultice.

Lemme know if either of these works, I`d try them myself but I`m not
affected at the moment.

...Phil...

Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick <kil...@cyberwizards.com.au> wrote in message

Wendy

Mar 13, 2001, 8:59:01 PM3/13/01
I've never had these, but I've found Lanacane's pretty good for all itchies
as it's a local anaesthetic and if you put it on when it starts to itch &
can hold off on scratching for a minute or two, it normally does the trick.
Once you've started to scratch however I find it's effectiveness not as
good.

Wendy

Dzung Nguyen

Mar 13, 2001, 10:39:07 PM3/13/01

"If you find a tick, press down around its head with tweezers,
grab the head and gently pull upwards. Avoid pulling the rear of the body
as this may squeeze the tick's gut contents through the attached mouth parts
into your skin,
increasing the risk of infection and disease. Smearing chemicals on the tick
will not dislodge it and is not recommended"
(Lonely Planet 2001, Walking in Oz, p84 - Ticks)

Try pharmacy medicine "Telfast" relief of itchy, skin rash / hives.
Am also allegic to bites (recently by the NZ sand flies!).

Dzung

Dzung Nguyen

Mar 13, 2001, 10:50:39 PM3/13/01

Gaza's Mail wrote:

Telfast as discussed.

David Springthorpe

Mar 14, 2001, 1:17:37 AM3/14/01
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:00:50 +1000, "Phil Box"
<downsr...@hotkey.net.au> wrote:

>.....I could suggest maybe either an old fashioned

>poultice of raw mashed onion and and raw mashed potatoe held in place
>overnight with a bandage or even say try some drawing ointment, works
>similar to a poultice.

Yum, sounds good enough to eat.....

D.S.

Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick

Mar 14, 2001, 4:19:14 AM3/14/01
Thanks Dzung, but these critters are so minute, it takes a magnifying glass
to see them so they are impossible to get with tweezers! I am sure that the
mite only lasts thru a couple of hits with good old metho, but it really is
the itch. I would rather not take anti histimines, just wondered if any
thing topical about.
K.
Dzung Nguyen <"bushwng"@jeack.com.au> wrote in message
<3AAEE7DA...@jeack.com.au>...

Geoff Phillips

Mar 14, 2001, 1:02:41 PM3/14/01
I've scratched holes in jeans as a result of scrub itch, ticks, and leeches,
and once, was so effected to spend a week in the skin ward of Brisbane
General. (They check your fingernails; if they are shiny- from scratching
yourself in your sleep- you're are still itchy) I too, have always believed
that they are minute (juvenile?) ticks. Are yours a red clour?

I own some land that is well known amongst the timber-getters and old
bullockies for ticks. After one trip I had thirteen on me, and I got
thirty-two off just one side of my dog, about the same on the other side.
(The old blokes reckon you should feed the ticks back to the dog to increase
their immunity. The dogs always eat them whenever they bite them out of
themselves.)

In my opinion the options are:
Antihistamines (Tel*) are the best bet, but not really a solution.
Eat ticks, which may not be effective.
Stay home. Very effective and cheap.
Get a wire brush. (Saves your finger nails and the nurses can't tell that
you've been scratching but hard on denim.-)

Interestingly, when I was admitted, the first thing they checked you for was
Band Aids. In skin issues, they are (or at least were) definitely out. Soap
too was anathema. At first we would use only condys crystals to bathe with,
but after the complaint was in check, plain Sunlight Soap was permitted but
closely monitored.

--
Regards,
Geoff

Mel Lee

Mar 14, 2001, 6:15:02 PM3/14/01
I'm allergic to leeches (who isn't) and even one bite stays weepy and itchy
for several days un less I take a 5mg Polarimine. (works best just before
bedtime, doesn't do much during the day)
Mel
Geoff Phillips <1ge...@one.net.au> wrote in message

Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick

Mar 17, 2001, 12:03:26 AM3/17/01

Thanks Dan, we live there as you know, and yes the scrub itch is definitely
a problem. Pretty sure these were little grass ticks. Thanks all for your
replies. Someome emailed me and suggested I shave from head to foot!!!
Pretty drastic considering this happens at least twice a month, mites/scrub
itch unfortunely are common place up here. The other reason is that he
suggested shaving my body hair!Alas I dont have a hair on my chest :)
Kathy.
Dan Donoghue wrote in message <98473735...@mail.cyberwizards.com.au>...
>As a kid I used to play in rainforest on the Atherton tablelands - got hit
>with scrub-itch on many occasions. Used to use a mixture of kerosene and
vix
>vapor rub. It must have worked to some degree as I can't remember being too
>distressed by the little bs
>Cheers, Dan

mack

Mar 17, 2001, 9:34:34 AM3/17/01
to Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick
Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick wrote:

> Just looking for some different remedies to the good old scrub itch/ mite
> problem well all experience from time to time.

You are having an allergic reaction to the saliva/bite of the tick.
You can either put up with it, or have medical intervention - anti-inflammitory
drugs are the way to go.

Joe

--
Joseph Mack, NA3T, FM05lw EME(B,D)
AZ_PROJ map server at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml

Mark Harrison

Mar 15, 2001, 6:39:19 AM3/15/01
Good point about the size :-) However, the problem you are experiencing is a
typical allergic reactions (DAMHIKT) and the only real alternative to doing
nothing is antihistamines.

Having said that, I'm not a doctor, I just have lots of experience :-( You
should consult with your medical professional, sooner rather than later.

"Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick" <kil...@cyberwizards.com.au> wrote in message

Mark Harrison

Mar 15, 2001, 6:41:31 AM3/15/01
"Mel Lee" <mmk...@mitmania.net.au> wrote in message

> I'm allergic to leeches (who isn't) and even one bite stays weepy and
itchy
> for several days un less I take a 5mg Polarimine. (works best just before
> bedtime, doesn't do much during the day)

The reason for that is that the days become night, because you're asleep
from the sedative effects of the Polaramine :-)

Geoff Stevens

Mar 16, 2001, 4:18:19 AM3/16/01
Hi

I kill the tiny ticks with a dab of Mortein flyspray. I can the scrap the out
with a fingernaili. Then I take a soapy shower. I then endure the itch for a
day or so.

Cheers

Geoff

Dan Donoghue

Mar 16, 2001, 4:09:49 AM3/16/01

Tara Deen

Mar 19, 2001, 4:54:01 PM3/19/01
Geoff,

My caveat: you can absorb flyspray through the skin, and it is nasty,
nasty stuff. Some of the chemicals in flyspray are in sufficient
concentrations to be able to do damage to your liver and kidneys.

My brother works as the grocery manager of a Woolworth's supermarket.
While doing night fill, he had cause to stack 36 boxes of flyspray on
the shelf. He then spent the next 3 weeks off work from poisoning, as he
had absorbed the flyspray through his palms. It's the only time he's
missed work in 8 years. We're still waiting to see what the long term
effects may be.

I freely admit to being paranoid about chemicals, but I won't have
flyspray in my house...

Cheers,
Tara

Geoff Stevens

Mar 20, 2001, 11:18:57 PM3/20/01
Thanks for the warning Tara

Barry Walker

Mar 21, 2001, 6:20:44 AM3/21/01
Yes, these little nasties are larval ticks. Some years ago I spent a
sleepless night while my long-suffering partner used a magnifying glass and
tweezers to remove 30 or 40 of them.
Sorry this reply is so late, but next time you could try "Stingose". This
is a clever invention by an Australian scientist which has now been taken
over by Johnson & Johnson. It
is available in chemists and most supermarkets. It is nothing more than
aluminium sulphate in a little spray bottle. The aluminium sulphate is
absorbed through the skin and denatures the proteins which cause itching.
It is great for mosquito and sandfly bites and is supposed to work for plant
and other insect stings. The itch disappears in about half an hour and
doesn't return (truly!). Light to carry and IMO essential on any walk. I
haven't
heard of it being used on tick bites and the label doesn't mention them, but
it's
certainly worth a try.

-------------------------------------
Barry Walker
b...@NOSPAMausnetworks.com.au

John McLaine

Mar 21, 2001, 5:27:35 PM3/21/01

Barry Walker wrote:
> Sorry this reply is so late, but next time you could try "Stingose".

Just a word of caution. I'm probably not the only bushwalker allergic to the
aluminium compound* in this product. You should consider that possibility,
and maybe test a small area before slathering it on. I used some last week
after walking over a european wasp nest on Pigeon House Hill. The stingose
stung more than the wasp stings. Swelled up red and blotchy, and itched
badly for about 24 hours. It was definitely the stingose because you could
see the outline of the area I had rubbed it on quite clearly.

Might be just me.

Cheers,

John

*my assumption, based upon known allergy to aluminium-based deodorants.

David Springthorpe

Mar 21, 2001, 8:06:35 PM3/21/01
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:27:35 +1100, "John McLaine"
<jmcl...@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

>after walking over a european wasp nest on Pigeon House Hill.

An increasing problem in NZ also. Looking last evening at slides from
someone just back from there whose route in Nelson Lakes NP had to be
changed because of wasps (not to mention the dislocated shoulder (put
back in) and bruised ribs from tripping over a tree root) - one of the
rangers (who was allergic) carried a special kit including adrenalin,
with the instructions "if the patient thinks he is dying (after being
stung), then he probably is....."

D.S.

Gaza's Mail

Mar 22, 2001, 5:18:04 AM3/22/01
Reminded me of the days when I used to work with arsenic. A special antidote
was kept under lock and key with a fairly elaborate set of instructions on
how to mix A + B etc before ingesting.
The last line of instructions noted that this must be done within 15 seconds
of the poisoning !!!!!

"David Springthorpe" <david.spr...@idx.com.au> wrote in message

Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick

Mar 22, 2001, 7:15:23 AM3/22/01
What are the european wasps anyway?
Kand S

Dzung Nguyen

Mar 22, 2001, 11:17:13 PM3/22/01
David Springthorpe wrote:

Yes, it is. Watch out for stingers at Guther, Mason Bay (South)
on North West Circuit. One Melbourne tramper was stung while refreshing
her legs.
Lower part of her R leg was rapidly swollen. The best brand NZ
antihistamine tablet helped. Lucky me had no problem despite of all day
barefoot walking.
Thanks for the warning. Nelson Lakes NP is on my next tramping list.

Dzung

Atriplex Services

Mar 23, 2001, 5:44:37 AM3/23/01
I would agree with the aluminium sulphate but Stingose is a bloody rip
off, $6-$8 depending on where it is purchased, gets you 25mil of 15-25%
solution. A standard anti persperant roll-on ( Any brand will do)
contains the same aluminium sulphate as its main ingrediant for a
quarter of the price and twice the amount. The reason that you itch from
tick bite is that your sweat reacts with tick saliva. Don't sweat-don't
itch.
Regards
Roger A Green

Mitchell Isaacs

Mar 25, 2001, 4:04:53 AM3/25/01
> solution. A standard anti persperant roll-on ( Any brand will do)
> contains the same aluminium sulphate as its main ingrediant for a
I have never seen a deodorant with aluminium sulphate - they usually contain
some sort of an aluminium/chlorine containing compound (eg aluminium
chlorohydrate)

> quarter of the price and twice the amount. The reason that you itch from
> tick bite is that your sweat reacts with tick saliva. Don't sweat-don't

This is not true. The itch from insect/tick/leach bites is due to an
allergic response to the proteins contained in the saliva. Your immune
system reacts to a protein that it recognizes as foreign.

Cheers,
Mitchell

Gaza's Mail

Mar 26, 2001, 12:31:48 AM3/26/01
Does the aluminium sulphate in the anti-perspirant work though?????
Doing a trial on myself at the moment with mossies bites (no leeches this
weekend)......at this stage the jury is out

Mitchell Isaacs

Mar 26, 2001, 5:41:22 AM3/26/01
"Gaza's Mail" <lazydaysRE...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

> Does the aluminium sulphate in the anti-perspirant work though?????
> Doing a trial on myself at the moment with mossies bites (no leeches this
> weekend)......at this stage the jury is out
Deodorant doesn't have any aluminium sulphate. Even though it is the
aluminium that is thought to be active in the stingose, my feeling that
there would be a reason for using aluminium sulphate rather than another
aluminium compound. Deodourant is probably only ~1/4 the concentration as
stingose as well.

Stingose also contains a surfactant (detergent) which helps the aluminium
sulphate get into the skin where it needs to be to work.

So I would hazard a guess that deodorant has only a VERY limited effect
beyond a placebo effect - though I would be quite interested to hear
otherwise.

Cheers,
Mitchell

Gaza's Mail

Mar 26, 2001, 6:15:31 AM3/26/01
My wifes AVON Tranquil Moments contains the following.........
Water
Aluminium Chlorohydrate (17.5%)
Steareth-2
Cyclomethicone
and some smelly fragrances
I suspect the Aluminium Chlorohydrate is the main active ingredient
Haven't a bottle of Stingose handy to compare it's active ingredients

Mitchell Isaacs

Mar 26, 2001, 6:29:04 AM3/26/01

> My wifes AVON Tranquil Moments contains the following.........
> Water
> Aluminium Chlorohydrate (17.5%)
> Steareth-2
> Cyclomethicone
> and some smelly fragrances
> I suspect the Aluminium Chlorohydrate is the main active ingredient
> Haven't a bottle of Stingose handy to compare it's active ingredients
Stingose has aluminium sulphate (20%) and an anionic surfactant in an
aqueous solution or gel.

Nothing like deodorant.

Cheers,
Mitchell

Roger Caffin

Mar 27, 2001, 11:43:06 PM3/27/01
Gaza's Mail wrote:

> My wifes AVON Tranquil Moments contains the following.........
> Water
> Aluminium Chlorohydrate (17.5%)
> Steareth-2
> Cyclomethicone
> and some smelly fragrances
> I suspect the Aluminium Chlorohydrate is the main active ingredient

So are you going to wear THAT bushwalking? :-)

Cheers
Roger Caffin

Gaza's Mail

Mar 28, 2001, 1:34:26 AM3/28/01
At least it's an improvement on the last suggestion to stop leeches by
wearing stockings !!
I suppose "G-Strings" could stop groin rash too.
Lets see what else.................
Lipstick to prevent lip chaffe
Stilletos for minimum impact
Meds for blood absorption (I do use these.......cheap and sterile)
Bra to hold nick nacks..........
Could try all of the above out on a nightwalk through Taylor Square......any
track notes ?

Mitchell Isaacs

Mar 28, 2001, 7:44:14 AM3/28/01

> At least it's an improvement on the last suggestion to stop leeches by
> wearing stockings !!
> I suppose "G-Strings" could stop groin rash too.
> Lets see what else.................
> Lipstick to prevent lip chaffe
> Stilletos for minimum impact
> Meds for blood absorption (I do use these.......cheap and sterile)
> Bra to hold nick nacks..........
> Could try all of the above out on a nightwalk through Taylor
Square......any
> track notes ?

Watch out for the wildlife.....

Cheers,
Mitchell

Gaza's Mail

Mar 29, 2001, 4:31:04 AM3/29/01
More on Aluminium Chlorohydrate......

Interesting find in the back of the medicine chest after a walk today and we
got covered in thousands (well hundreds) of really small leeches.

Rumaging around in the bathroom and found a tube of NEAT 3B Action Cream,
Helps prevent Sweat Rash & Chafing, and guess what? The active ingredient is
Aluninium Chlorohydrate 20%. No price on the tube but my guess is it's a
lot more expensive than a cheap Roll On Deodorant.

All in all I don't reckon it works anyway......

P.S.

On todays leeches they didn't really worry us. It seemed none could even
penetrate our socks and all where very small, no mummiesor daddies (or are
they asexual?). Most of them seemed to launch themselves on us from passing
vegetation. A friend had liberally sprayed her boots with flyspray at it
made no difference.

tracy...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2014, 7:54:44 AM8/24/14
On Tuesday, March 13, 2001 9:34:08 PM UTC+10, Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick wrote:
> Just looking for some different remedies to the good old scrub itch/ mite
> problem well all experience from time to time. At the moment from head to
> toes I am covered it little itchies which are all oozing now and driving me
> crazy. I have had a good look , and I think they are prob tiny little ticks.
> I have used metho, rid, t tree oil, but nothing seems to stop the itch,
> which usually lasts a week to ten days. We were on a club walk and at least
> 10 of us have them. Any hints?
> K and S
plus
Benzyl benzoate 25% plus resorcinol....an old apothacary remedy...:)

news13

Aug 24, 2014, 8:00:56 AM8/24/14
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 04:54:44 -0700, tracysq108 wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 13, 2001 9:34:08 PM UTC+10, Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick
> wrote:
>> Just looking for some different remedies to the good old scrub itch/
>> mite problem well all experience from time to time.

Pinetarsal. Stinks, but great for itching skin and heat rashes. No
experience with mites.

hamza...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2014, 1:40:57 AM12/16/14
Treatment of itching
Itching accompanies many skin disorders. It is always important to clarify why one claws, and treatment will be initiated accordingly. Consult your dermatologist for an evaluation if you are bothered by itching. See section for skin diseases, where the most common skin disorders is discussed in more detail.
See more at:-> http://www.oslohudlegesenter.no/behandlinger-hudlege-kl-e.html
http://www.oslohudlegesenter.no/

David Morrison

Dec 19, 2014, 8:25:14 PM12/19/14

news13

Dec 25, 2014, 8:39:53 PM12/25/14
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:25:12 +1100, David Morrison wrote:

> In article <03c2d59d-5ea1-4290...@googlegroups.com>,
> hamza...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> http://www.spam.spam.swpam udlege-kl-e.html
>
> Spam!

Not too bright sunshine. did you have to repost the link, or was that
the whole point anyway.

Try pinetar for rashes and skin irritants.

pam...@yahoo.com.au

Mar 8, 2015, 7:10:14 AM3/8/15
On Tuesday, March 13, 2001 at 10:34:08 PM UTC+11, Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick wrote:
> Just looking for some different remedies to the good old scrub itch/ mite
> problem well all experience from time to time. At the moment from head to
> toes I am covered it little itchies which are all oozing now and driving me
> crazy. I have had a good look , and I think they are prob tiny little ticks.
> I have used metho, rid, t tree oil, but nothing seems to stop the itch,
> which usually lasts a week to ten days. We were on a club walk and at least
> 10 of us have them. Any hints?
> K and S

tried it and it works is scabbies cream on scub itch

Eva

Apr 28, 2016, 6:38:29 AM4/28/16
Locals in FNQ use rubbing alcohol antiseptic.

babele...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2016, 6:53:16 AM9/4/16
Benzyl benzoate. Look up www.theapothacary.com for mite itch lotion. Im trying to find it,but sometimes you can go to your doctor and ask to get this made up through a compound chemist

slid...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2017, 6:56:54 PM1/16/17
On Tuesday, 13 March 2001 20:40:25 UTC+10, Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick wrote:
> Just looking for some different remedies to the good old scrub itch/ mite
> problem well all experience from time to time. At the moment from head to
> toes I am covered it little itchies which are all oozing now and driving me
> crazy. I have had a good look , and I think they are prob tiny little ticks.
> I have used metho, rid, t tree oil, but nothing seems to stop the itch,
> which usually lasts a week to ten days. We were on a club walk and at least
> 10 of us have them. Any hints?
> K and S

wipe down with kerosene leave for 15 to 20 minutes then shower off should see results within 24hrs and repeat if needed

petere...@hotmail.com

Oct 5, 2017, 6:54:38 AM10/5/17
Scabies lotion works well. Less than $10a bottle

b...@winshop.com.au

Feb 8, 2018, 1:15:06 AM2/8/18
On Tuesday, March 13, 2001 at 8:40:25 PM UTC+10, Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick wrote:
> Just looking for some different remedies to the good old scrub itch/ mite
> problem well all experience from time to time. At the moment from head to
> toes I am covered it little itchies which are all oozing now and driving me
> crazy. I have had a good look , and I think they are prob tiny little ticks.
> I have used metho, rid, t tree oil, but nothing seems to stop the itch,
> which usually lasts a week to ten days. We were on a club walk and at least
> 10 of us have them. Any hints?
> K and S

Lived and worked in rainforest for 25 years. We've always found a thorough rinse with isopropyl alcohol (eg Isocol)helps to stop the itch.

neee...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2018, 8:24:22 PM3/9/18
On Tuesday, March 13, 2001 at 8:40:25 PM UTC+10, Kathy and Steve Kilpatrick wrote:
> Just looking for some different remedies to the good old scrub itch/ mite
> problem well all experience from time to time. At the moment from head to
> toes I am covered it little itchies which are all oozing now and driving me
> crazy. I have had a good look , and I think they are prob tiny little ticks.
> I have used metho, rid, t tree oil, but nothing seems to stop the itch,
> which usually lasts a week to ten days. We were on a club walk and at least
> 10 of us have them. Any hints?
> K and S

Hi All, I haven't been able to stop the mites but the best cure for the bites is to dab Hydrogen Peroxide on the welts, stings for a second then no more itch. Ahh.

moo...@ccs.nsw.edu.au

Apr 2, 2018, 6:16:11 PM4/2/18
If you get an ointment called soov it helps alot