Duraspark distributor - change from big to small cap

Sascha K.

Mar 3, 2024, 11:33:35 AMMar 3
to AuroraCobra
Hi all,

The monstrous appearance of the Duraspark distributor has been bothering me for a long time. I had already thought about converting to a Petronix until I read in various forums a few days ago how some guys swapped the large distributor cap on the Duraspark for a small distributor cap. As this was brillant and worked out very well I like to share this with you:

All you need is a distributor cap from a 1975 International Scout (Part# AL482) and a new distributor finger (Part# FD311). (less than 40 EUR for the parts here in Germany)

Remove the large distributor cap, including the adapter and the old finger. Take the small distributor cap and mill a small notch with a Dremel or a file at the point where it will later rest on the vacuum advance (only 1-2 mm) to ensure proper seating. Then you put the new finger and cap on, plug the old ignition cables back in - done!

Enjoy the vintage look!

Cheers

Sascha

IMG_6247.jpg
IMG_6248.jpg
IMG_6245.jpg

alsincl...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2024, 5:01:57 PMMar 6
to AuroraCobra
Sasha great update on the distributor looks great .

I couldn't help but notice your small glass fuel filter in one of the pictures . I know from personal experience these are prone to leaking through the seals as well as vibrating loose and spraying fuel all over the hot engine fortunately I was working under the hood at the time and say the issue.

I just thought you should know

cheers Al Sinclair

Sascha K.

Mar 8, 2024, 10:43:24 AMMar 8
to AuroraCobra
Hi Al,

Thanks and what you mentioned regarding the fuel filter is a good point! I had this problem already last year and fixed it for the moment. Is there any filter that you can recommend?

Cheers
Sascha