Parking brake assembly

the web guy

Jan 5, 2022, 12:35:43 AM1/5/22
to AuroraCobra
I have a request to make on behalf of an Aurora owner in France. He purchased a car with the parking brake assembly entirely removed and lose, and would like to restore it. Who can take a photo or photos of their parking brake, caliper and rotor from under the car? Ideally it would show how it is mounted. My car is out of country or I’d do it. Email photos to me please.

AL SINCLAIR

Jan 5, 2022, 10:44:14 PM1/5/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tom as I have no body on my car I can take the pictures if you like cheers Al Sinclair

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 9:35 PM the web guy <twall...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a request to make on behalf of an Aurora owner in France. He purchased a car with the parking brake assembly entirely removed and lose, and would like to restore it. Who can take a photo or photos of their parking brake, caliper and rotor from under the car? Ideally it would show how it is mounted. My car is out of country or I’d do it. Email photos to me please.

twall...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2022, 11:42:44 PM1/5/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, thanks, Al. I’d love to see some shots of the whole handbrake assembly in the rear. I appreciate your getting back to me.

Happy New Year

Tom W

seaas...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2022, 5:36:22 AM1/24/22
to AuroraCobra
Good morning Al
Can you please post the pictures of the rear parking brake assembly. I would like to see it as well.
Cheers
Randy

David Daly

Jan 24, 2022, 12:11:51 PM1/24/22
to 'Sascha K.' via AuroraCobra
Good Morning All:

If I may, I have an unfinished Aurora, would someone be kind enough to tell me what wheels I need, Mustang, Jag etc. I have 5 bolt mounts.  Many thanks,  David

pet deg

Jan 24, 2022, 1:23:53 PM1/24/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Type in "wheels" in Aurora google group ( conversation ) and you will see a bunch of ideas

Jan 24, 2022, 1:51:08 PM1/24/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Hello David
Aurora Cars require special wheels, as described in the site: https://www.auroracobra.org/garage24.html
Your 5-lug pattern could be different front to rear, so begin there. “Kidney bean” alloy wheels are safe and period correct for cobras, or Dayton Wire Wheels “Classic” model can be ordered with 5” offset, offered as a factory option. 16” x 6 offer greater tire selection options.

twall...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2022, 3:08:47 PM1/24/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Parking brake pads and assembly are photos from my archive. The assembly photo shows, I believe, the rotor mounting plate at the diff end of the driveshaft, without the rotor mounted. The TRW pads for Toyota are modified by Aurora by grinding a curve at the bottom, as shown.

David Daly

Jan 24, 2022, 3:14:12 PM1/24/22
to 'Sascha K.' via AuroraCobra

David Daly

Jan 24, 2022, 3:14:28 PM1/24/22
to 'Sascha K.' via AuroraCobra
Thank you Sasha! Let the hunt begin!

On Jan 24, 2022, at 1:51 PM, twall...@gmail.com wrote:

Hello David
Aurora Cars require special wheels, as described in the site: https://www.auroracobra.org/garage24.html
Your 5-lug pattern could be different front to rear, so begin there. “Kidney bean” alloy wheels are safe and period correct for cobras, or Dayton Wire Wheels “Classic” model can be ordered with 5” offset, offered as a factory option. 16” x 6 offer greater tire selection options.

<alloy vs wire.jpeg>

On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 10:44:14 PM UTC-5 alsincl...@gmail.com wrote:
Hey Tom as I have no body on my car I can take the pictures if you like cheers Al Sinclair

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 9:35 PM the web guy <twall...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a request to make on behalf of an Aurora owner in France. He purchased a car with the parking brake assembly entirely removed and lose, and would like to restore it. Who can take a photo or photos of their parking brake, caliper and rotor from under the car? Ideally it would show how it is mounted. My car is out of country or I’d do it. Email photos to me please.

<PastedGraphic-3.tiff>

jay edelston

Jan 24, 2022, 4:47:31 PM1/24/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Last spring I sold # 64 (I think that’s the number )through a Milwaukee Wisconsin broker to an owner in France. My car was set up for racing And if I remember correctly, the parking brake assembly was removed to accommodate a 4:11 rear end.                                In any event,  my ex-car Is the red one with no side view mirrors featured on the  AURORACOBRA.org website with a big “SOLD” In white letters across the top of the picture.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 24, 2022, at 1:51 PM, twall...@gmail.com wrote:

 Hello David
Aurora Cars require special wheels, as described in the site: https://www.auroracobra.org/garage24.html
Your 5-lug pattern could be different front to rear, so begin there. “Kidney bean” alloy wheels are safe and period correct for cobras, or Dayton Wire Wheels “Classic” model can be ordered with 5” offset, offered as a factory option. 16” x 6 offer greater tire selection options.

alloy vs wire.jpeg
PastedGraphic-3.tiff

Jay Edelston

Jan 26, 2022, 1:34:23 AM1/26/22
to AuroraCobra
Correction: Mine was # 71

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/auroracobra/RIZP284MB1257F4C2029CDC64B48FA7AD925E9%40RIZP284MB1257.BRAP284.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.
<alloy vs wire.jpeg><PastedGraphic-3.tiff><alloy vs wire.jpeg><PastedGraphic-3.tiff>

Fabrice FRAYSSINET

Jan 26, 2022, 2:44:05 PM1/26/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Good evening
I'm in France and I have an Aurora #147.
if you want you can tell the owner to contact me and i will help him.
Best regards
Fabrice Frayssinet
0607148278

B Woody

Jan 26, 2022, 6:23:13 PM1/26/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
"Modifying" brake pads from a Toyota might have been a "thing" 40 yrs ago on a driveshaft.
But today and in this age is an antiquated idea.
More like a DIY HarborFright backyard/shade tree mech job these days.
40 yrs ago China didn't have a "Rover" on Mars.
40 yrs ago China didn't have a "Space Station".
40 yrs ago people didn't have an iPhone in their hands 24/7.
40 yrs ago Samcrac of YouTube fame wasn't repairing and rebuilding Exotic Car COPART wrecks DIY style in his barn without a hoist.

Time to join the 21st Century maybe?
And think "outside of the box"...
WWLDD (W.hat W.ould L.arry D.avid D.o) ?
Well, I Dunno but,
If I was inclined to put a "Parking Brake" on my car/veh unlike the "Parking Brake" on my previous Nissan UD 1400 flatbed that had one on the driveshaft.

Pretty fair to say that if I had an A/C Cobra in this day and age and needed a handbrake?
I would adapt, overcome and improvise the situation in regards to a parking brake.
How?
Well, I would go to a local Motorcycle Salvage Parts place and grab a front brake rotor and caliper and install it with modified brackets if it was on the driveshaft.
EZ peazy getting brake pads from your local Honda,Kawasaki,Suzuki Dealership with NO modifications needed.

Then get a "Drift Brake" kit with a hydraulic reservoir for under $150 with a "ratchet lock" on it.
Measure the length of distance and have a local hydraulic hose shop make that hose for you to work...not pricey at all.

How much fun could that be?
Might wanna cut that handle down a lil bit so that it isn't sticking out a lil bit above the dash looking like the gear shifter on a  Peterbuilt or a Kenworth.

And if you don't have the HP that you think that you may need?
To spin the back wheels.
O'Reilly Auto Parts has a bolt on Power Booster" part # 121g Line EB"... You will have to Google that Part # up.
Just watch out when you hit 88mph on that one.

I saw it advertised on CNN...so it must be true.

B Woody

Jan 28, 2022, 3:20:07 PM1/28/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Do you have Part#'s from your front and rear wheel hub assy's?
That will tell you exactly what you have.

Back in the day the "Hollander Wheel Interchange" catalog was the most comprehensive place for information in regards.
It may be called something else now???
There were measurements and diagrams in the book that would tell you what would be a fitment.
May surprise you as to what will fit.

Care to share any pics of the frame and body of your unfinished car?
Would be much appreciated...Thankee

Jan 29, 2022, 9:36:18 AM1/29/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
I can tell you on my frame the rear wheels are a chev bolt pattern with 7/16 wheel nuts   5 x 4 3/4"  stud spacing  the rally wheel of of my nova fit just fine in the back . the front wheel I am still working on the calipers indicate mid 80"s caliper design from ford  most charts say 4.5 inch spacing please correct me if I am wrong cheers Al  I will send a frame movie later excuse the dust

David Daly

Jan 31, 2022, 10:08:36 AM1/31/22
to 'Sascha K.' via AuroraCobra
Good Morning All:

I checked the front hubs on mine, they are 5 lug, not 4 lug as the originals were, the back are 5 lug also...… no idea what size, next job is get get them both measured …. Thank you for all your help!

Regards

David