New brakes both front and rear

Orskov

Sep 19, 2019, 1:54:52 PM9/19/19
to AuroraCobra
Hello

Is there anyone who has change the front or the rear brakes ?

Bought complet new ones or upgraded to larger rotors ?

Or has bought spare parts when the brakes are worn down ?

I am searching for :

- Brake kit info (make and parts number)
- Brake spare part (make and parts number)

I have the Aurora GRX #51 from 1981.

Thanks for all the help

Michael O. , Denmark

G Wong

Sep 20, 2019, 4:48:28 PM9/20/19
to AuroraCobra
Hi Michael,

I'm the owner of GRX #20

I've upgraded front brakes with a Wilwood front brake kit - WWD 140 7017-BD

It'll need at least 16" rims for them to fit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Gay W,  Canada
100103_0059.JPG
100103_0061.JPG
100103_0063.JPG

jay edelston

Sep 20, 2019, 4:48:28 PM9/20/19
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Once again, folks, I’m looking for side curtains and a top for #71.  Any body out there?

G Wong

Sep 20, 2019, 4:48:29 PM9/20/19
to AuroraCobra
Hi Michael,

I'm the owner of GRX #20

I've upgraded front brakes with a Wilwood front brake kit - WWD 140 7017-BD

It'll need at least 16" rims for them to fit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Gay W,  Canada

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 10:54:52 AM UTC-7, Orskov wrote:
100103_0059.JPG
100103_0061.JPG
100103_0063.JPG

G Wong

Sep 20, 2019, 4:48:29 PM9/20/19
to AuroraCobra
Hi Michael,

I'm the owner of GRX #20

I've upgraded front brakes with a Wilwood front brake kit - WWD 140 7017-BD

It'll need at least 16" rims for them to fit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Gay W,  Canada

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 10:54:52 AM UTC-7, Orskov wrote:
100103_0059.JPG
100103_0063.JPG
Message has been deleted

friendly et

Sep 25, 2019, 2:58:17 AM9/25/19
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
You might be able to get some fabricated. They're just plexi-glass I believe.

I can get the dimensions for you if you'd like.

Gay... #020

Orskov

Sep 25, 2019, 3:04:00 PM9/25/19
to AuroraCobra
thanks for the pictures.

It helps a lot.

Have you tried to install new rear brakes also ?

Cheers

Michael, Denmark

friendly et

Sep 25, 2019, 11:00:51 PM9/25/19
to auror...@googlegroups.com
😮 Nevermind.
Cheers..

I replaced the front brakes this year with a kit made by Wilwood. The kit is for 1974-1978 Ford Pinto and is a remove and replace with no modifications needed package. My car is Aurora#67 with 16 inch diameter Dayton Wire wheels and the kit has 11 inch diameter rotors. Base part number is 140-11017. Summit Racing sells this. My kit has vented disks but you can pay less and not get vented disks. The rear brakes are from 1978 Mercury Capri front brakes. Summit does sell these but Wilwood does not make them.

Orskov

Oct 15, 2019, 8:20:26 AM10/15/19
to AuroraCobra
Thanks a lot for the help.

I will order the front brakes.

Michael

Orskov

Oct 15, 2019, 8:45:53 AM10/15/19
to AuroraCobra
Have you replaced the Master Cylinder brake system also ?

Michael #51

virdana

Oct 15, 2019, 10:39:34 AM10/15/19
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Michael,
On the brake kit, my kit was for 5 bolt wheels. If you have 4 bolt wheels the part number may be different. I did replace the master cylinder with an original type which is from a Triumph TR 6 from 1967-1976. I was able to get a new master cylinder locally from a British car parts dealer. I can provide this dealer name and address  if needed.
Dana

jay edelston

Oct 15, 2019, 11:53:47 PM10/15/19
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Not only am I still looking for a top and side curtains for number 71, I now need the headlight on/off switch that fits on the left side of the steering column. Mine fell apart Irreparably so I need the whole assembly.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 15, 2019, at 9:39 AM, virdana <sunt...@earthlink.net> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "AuroraCobra" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/auroracobra/1879722379.2645.1571150373014%40wamui-quail.atl.sa.earthlink.net.

Tom Wallerich

Oct 16, 2019, 12:03:01 AM10/16/19
to auror...@googlegroups.com
You might include a photo. The factory headlight switch was the Lucas rocker one in the center of your dash. It sounds like yours was retrofitted.

Aurora headlight switches fail because they wired the full load through the switch instead of using a relay. Install a headlight relay and save your next switch.

Tom Wallerich
Lisbon

On Oct 16, 2019, at 4:53 AM, jay edelston <jfe...@hotmail.com> wrote:

 Not only am I still looking for a top and side curtains for number 71, I now need the headlight on/off switch that fits on the left side of the steering column. Mine fell apart Irreparably so I need the whole assembly.

Orskov

Oct 26, 2019, 4:21:22 AM10/26/19
to AuroraCobra
Dana,

Yes, I would like to have the dealer name and address. That would be super.

Thanks for the info

Michael
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to auror...@googlegroups.com.

virdana

Oct 26, 2019, 12:13:03 PM10/26/19
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Michael,
Moss Motors at  mossmotors.com and phone 1-800-667-7872  has the master cylinder you need for the 1967-76 Triumph TR-6. These are in stock and they have after market and Lucas master cylinders. If you are to install the brake kit yourself, you will need some Torx sockets.
Dana

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/auroracobra/cf601bc4-75c9-463a-ba2e-9e45f72f8cb2%40googlegroups.com.

Orskov

Jan 6, 2022, 5:08:48 PM1/6/22
to AuroraCobra

I have replace the front brakes with the brake kit from Wilwood.
I have replace the Master cylinder.

And it brakes worse than when I started. :-)

I still have the proportioning valve installed, I have checked that it is installed like on auroracobra.org .

Should I remove the proportioning valve ?

Can it be the brakes pads ?

Please help ... The wife will not drive with me before it brakes ... :-)

AL SINCLAIR

Jan 6, 2022, 5:18:44 PM1/6/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Did  you center the proportional valve if you go to far with the pedal when bleeding the brakes it switches over like the line broke .

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "AuroraCobra" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/auroracobra/5b64e97e-d5c9-4e9b-b7ba-84de98cd1bb5n%40googlegroups.com.

virdana

Jan 6, 2022, 8:29:27 PM1/6/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com

Michael,

If you did not bleed the master cylinder before putting it the car, that is probably the problem. If you do not know about bleeding the master cylinder, you can use Google to get all the info you need. Otherwise, if you did the master cylinder maybe you just need to bleed the system one more time. Hope this helps.

Dana

Orskov

Mar 1, 2023, 4:45:26 PM3/1/23
to AuroraCobra
Yes, I have bled the system. 3 times and no luck.

I am thinking to redo the whole brake line system.

guzz...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2023, 5:29:55 PM3/1/23
to AuroraCobra
I haven't seen this thread before so if someone suggested it pardon me , When you put the new calipers on are the bleed screws at the top or highest position ? if not switch caliper to oppisite side .

virdana

Mar 1, 2023, 5:54:25 PM3/1/23
to auror...@googlegroups.com

Michael,

Sorry to hear you still have the brake problem. I assume you did bleed the master cylinder before installing. If by some chance you have power brakes, the brake booster could be causing the problem. If you have power brakes, the engine may not have vacuum 17 inches or more which for some boosters is needed. Replacing the brake lines other than the flex lines is not the fix unless they are leaking or  plugged due to

sludge or rust. When you installed the master cylinder, I trust you checked the free play of pedal linkage to master cylinder. Maybe it is time to take the car to a mechanic. Would like to know it takes to fix the problem. Best regards,

Dana

Richard Bieling

Mar 1, 2023, 7:53:45 PM3/1/23
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Moss motors has a good tech document on bleeding the master cylinder and the valve. Or do a Google search on that.

Maybe on more time on the bleeding if the lines.

I have a TR6 as well as a cobra (34) with that master cylinder. Both work great.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "AuroraCobra" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/auroracobra/a2ec52e6-a3de-46d4-a6f0-998f3fa2ee7an%40googlegroups.com.