Aurora Prototype

Rick S

Apr 6, 2021, 8:05:25 PM4/6/21
to AuroraCobra
Good day folks,
I'm working on a '81 Aurora GRX, it came to me unfinished and am in the process of finishing it. It was brought to my attention that this may be 1 of 3 Prototypes -
pre production cars. If anyone has any information on these 3 cars please let me know.
Thanks,
Rick

jamcat...@roadrunner.com

Apr 8, 2021, 9:47:22 AM4/8/21
to AuroraCobra
If it was built in 1981, would it be a prototype? The first cars were built in 1979. Why not show us a photo it would be interesting.

AL SINCLAIR

Apr 8, 2021, 8:20:20 PM4/8/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Good morning, I am not sure if it would be a prototype or one of several unfinished cars that were sold during the closure. I believe I have one of these as well . There have been several pop up locally in Ontario as that was where the factory was . it also came with s complete frame and brakes etc

cobra2.jpg

jamcat...@roadrunner.com

Apr 9, 2021, 9:21:02 AM4/9/21
to AuroraCobra
I sold one complete set of molds to a business in Canada.  And made two rolling chassis and body packages for the customer to finish. This could be one of the unfinished cars I sold.  Is the frame front suspension set up for upper and lower Mustang, as this is the way  i changed the aurora frames. jim

Rick S

Apr 10, 2021, 10:39:28 AM4/10/21
to AuroraCobra
Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm well aware of a few unfinished cars that were sold off at the auction. (a friend of ours has one sitting in his garage that he purchased at the auction over 30 yrs ago)  This particular car that I have was bought from Weitzes Motors Limited in Willowdale, ON in November 1982 as a body and frame only. The family I bought this car off explained that the gentleman had been collecting parts for it over the years until his passing 6 yrs ago. This car came to my attention last year and I've been slowly putting the gathered parts onto the car and hopefully will be able to get it on the road this summer. Speaking with a well versed Cobra enthusiast friend of mine from Ottawa, he mentioned to me that there were 3 prototypes built and that one of them was located in the Prince Edward County and this is where I purchased the car from. In our conversation, I mentioned that the doors were heavily modified and mocked up for pre-enginieering test fit along with a few other parts. With this information I think this may be one of the 3 early prototype cars. If anyone has other information regarding these early cars, please let me know.
Thanks, Rick.

Cancobra

May 13, 2021, 1:08:37 AM5/13/21
to AuroraCobra
I was recently speaking with a fellow in North Toronto about purchasing a hood. It came out in the conversation that he was refinishing an Aurora without any VIN and indicated it was a prototype car. This may be the 2nd but I do not have the expertise or interest to follow it up, Anyone interested I am happy to pass on the contact.