Dash work

seaas...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2022, 9:09:52 AM4/7/22
to AuroraCobra
I am making my new dash. I'm going for the more original look of the 1962 AC Cobra. I purchased new Classic Instruments gauges and some 1/2 inch oak plywood. The dash will be stained to match the steering wheel.
Cheers
RandyIMG_3720.jpeg

seaas...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2022, 9:11:04 AM4/7/22
to AuroraCobra
IMG_3754.jpegIMG_3730.jpeg

seaas...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2022, 9:13:01 AM4/7/22
to AuroraCobra
IMG_3764.jpeg

Message has been deleted

seaas...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2022, 9:14:47 AM4/7/22
to AuroraCobra
IMG_3770.jpeg

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 9:14:08 AM UTC-4 seaas...@gmail.com wrote:
IMG_3769.jpeg

seaas...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2022, 9:17:52 AM4/7/22
to AuroraCobra
IMG_3771.jpeg

jim

Apr 7, 2022, 9:36:05 AM4/7/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com

I thought they used steward and warner.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Randy

IMG_3720.jpeg

seaas...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2022, 10:02:25 AM4/7/22
to AuroraCobra
Hey Jamcat...
I have 2 sets of Smiths gauges from England. I couldn't get all the gauges that I wanted to match each other.  Those where the gauges they used before Shelby built his version. I chose Classic Instruments because they look great and have a fantastic warranty. Also I had more choices of style and gauges. Heck,  Classic even has a GPS MPH gauge set up where I don't have to run a speedo cable or worry about tire size effecting the accuracy of the gauge.

seaas...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2022, 12:38:07 PM4/7/22
to AuroraCobra
IMG_3767.jpeg

seaas...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2022, 12:38:42 PM4/7/22
to AuroraCobra
IMG_3769.jpeg

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 12:38:07 PM UTC-4 seaas...@gmail.com wrote:
IMG_3767.jpeg

AL SINCLAIR

Apr 7, 2022, 12:42:12 PM4/7/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Randy thank you for the pictures you do amazing work I am impressed
cheers Al Sinclair

are hiring ?

Blair Aaronson

Apr 7, 2022, 12:48:25 PM4/7/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Impressive Randy!

Get Outlook for Android

Apr 9, 2022, 6:00:13 PM4/9/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Dang I went 425 miles North of the City in the Boonies for 6 days and you blew up the board.   lol
Most certainly in a very good way though.
Maybe gave some?
The incentive and motivation to pull off that dusty car cover, put in a fresh battery and fuel and spruce up their AC.

Methinks you also have some Carpentry and Cabinet making skills also.
Yer zooming along Warp Speed here.
I'm playing catchup on a LOT of things while listening to the past Thursday Federal BS budget up here by the "Coward of the Cottage, Pretty Boy, Mr Fancy Socks, Substitute Part Time Drama Teacher, Snow Board Instructor"..... I'll stop while I'm ahead.
Unless you wanna look up "Drink Box Water Bottle" on youtube for chucks and giggles?

So you didn't get hinges for the Door Frame/Side Impact Bars?
Looks like "jamcat" has your answers if he hasn't already supplied you with more pictures as that is the same body/frame that you have.
I am only hands on familiar up to car # 98 or 99 and I see many differences but,
as you are building this car "your way" adapting and overcoming mild obstacles and improvising things.

Making and modifying the hinges shouldn't be a real big deal as it will be one template for both the L and R doors.
It's just a matter of flipping them over and putting the "pin" or "bolt" as it may be on the top.

Jamcat's pic show the hinges bolted to the Door Frame/Side Impact Bars and they are rectangular verses round as I recall and the hinge was welded to, not bolted....."as I recall" ??? Not really like it was yesterday for me.
Jamcat's pics show 4 drilled through holes on the bars on both sides.
Are there nuts on the outer side of the bars and bolts were used?
And were they welded on?
Is there enough room between the outer side of the Door Frame/Side Impact Bar so that it doesn't push against the Door Panel?

Were "Old School" U shaped fender washers used to adjust and fit the doors? Or Round?
Round would be a PITA to add or subtract the washers/shims as needed.
Previous Round Door Frame/Side Impact bars used Course Thread lag bolts and U shaped washers/shims to adjust and fit.

Moving forwards and backwards on the Door Frame/Side Impact Bars.
Backwards on the Lock Pillar side first.
Are there 4 drilled holes and countersunk where the latch is fitted into?
If not? You could find a latch and make your own holes to fit.....best bet.
I downloaded Jamcat's pic and enlarged it as large as possible.
The fitment looks like it could be a lot better or a diff latch should be used.....Sorry Jamcat certainly nothing personal.....JMO
This is a new "adaptive" build.

Moving backwards forward   lol
To the "A" pillar/hinge pillar forward regardless of whether you weld or bolt the rear of your version of rear side hinge to the Door Frame/Side Impact Bar.

I was having some moments trying to concentrate on Randy's Build while listening to the Feckless Federal Budget up here.
And I need a few moments to recover AFTER I go outside, bend over and grab my ankles and bark.
Then I will listen to some good ole Rock and Roll on the radio.
We have a "Deputy Dawg Crime Minister/Finance Minister" that can't tell you where 600B$ went but,
she sure as heck knows where a $20 donation and above to the "Freedom Convoy" came from.....sad beyond human belief...

OK so yah ..... lol
Back to the moving backwards forward to the "A" pillar/hinge pillar.
I see that you have a vertical rectangular plate welded with 2 holes in it.
Hard for me to tell but, are there nuts welded on the front/forward side of it?
There may have been from the welding shop.....I don't 100% for sure recall...for serious.

If not?
You may wish to weld some nuts on there?
Why?
Well, you could tap some threads into that plate but how many threads will there be? Minimal.
Or you could use course thread lag bolts but,
considering how many times you have had the body off and on fitting thing.
How many times will you have the doors off and on during this build to get things the way you want?
Lag Bolts will just get bigger and bigger.

A couple of other things that I noticed in Jamcat's pic that I am not familiar with as this is a diff body
The "Inner Pocket" of the hinge pillar on the body is actually still part of the body.
On the body that I am familiar with, that "pocket" was cut out and the hinge pillar plate on the frame was visible.

If there is any gap between the front side of the body hinge "pocket" on the body and cinch up the hinge to that.
It could create some stress and warpage on the glass that may work its way outwards.
Just a suggestion but,
if you were to cut that "pocket" out to expose the hinge mounting plate on the frame?
You could slide a piece of stainless steel or brushed aluminum plate in there and seam seal the "surround" to look neat and clean.

My guess is that you may have already thought about some of these things?
Or at least along these lines somewhat or I at least gave you some food for thought.

A couple of things that baffles me about Jamcat's pic is the Inner Fender Wells and,
the Inner Bucket Surround panel around the lower inner rocker and front and rear inner door surround that appears to be glassed in?
Is that a sep piece?

Yer doing a pretty fine job there on your build Randy and I'm sure you will Adapt Overcome and Improvise anything that may arise.
In a Perfect World you would be picking me up @RENNtech which is kinda close to you after I dropped off my "Old Man" hotrod for some LooneyTuning...missed that car on Auction...sad but, no big deal.

No big huge deal as veh's are like a bus.
If you miss one.....another one comes along in a few minutes.....I am not an impulse buyer.

So yah it would be fun to help out on your build...as it would be MY car #100 that I didn't get to see.
To help final fit, glass up, make it straight bodywise, prep and paint.
What would I bill you?
Buy me a Grand Slam at Denny's if you let me "Spray it in my choice of paint RM Diamont BC/CC".
2 Grand Slams if we spray it together...yep 2 guns...2 guys spraying.....wouldn't be the 1st time for me.

So yah...In a perfect world...
I don't have a Vax Passport and I am not taking an experimental "You Know What".
Not a Sheep or a Guinea Pig for anyone thank you very much.
Logic 101
The protected need to be protected from the unprotected by forcing the unprotected to use the protection that didn't protect the  protected.....lol

Wouldja/Couldja believe that I typed in nineteen eighty four  numerically here and it cleared my email msg.....and I had to start all over again.
I chit you not.

Apr 9, 2022, 6:30:14 PM4/9/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to ask due to being distracted amongst other things.
So, you didn't get inner door frame impact bar hinges and door latches.
Did you get hood and trunk hinges? As those would be harder to make than door hinges.
You DO have hood and trunk hinge brackets as I see.

Did you get Inner Fender Wells?
I saw Jamcat's and those are most def diff from prev body style.
There is something else but I can't think of it right now regardless of how good my memory may or may not be right now.four
At least I didn't mention nineteen eighty four and that just blows me away.

Apr 9, 2022, 9:02:55 PM4/9/22
to AuroraCobra
Whats happening Haywood? You can come down to Desantis paradise to help anytime brother! No I don't have door, hood or trunk hinges. I don't have the door bracing and lock assembly either. I started with an Aurora chassis and body, fender wells and doors, hood and trunk, but no hardware! Just fiberglass. Building as my own interpretation of what I can make out of it. I absolutely love the chassis. World class racing material!!!!! Jamcat has not responded to my request?  I am going to post a string of pictures showing just a bit of wiring. Talk to you soon my friend.
Cheers
Randy

B Woody

Apr 10, 2022, 8:46:00 AM4/10/22
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Whats happening? ha
3 days ago I was in such a good mood that if I fell into an open septic tank I would have laughed about it.
2 days back in the city and I could spit nails.
A 6th new? Cow Vid nine-teen  variant hysteria here and the Sheep are masked up again and driving around all  by themselves wearing face diapers.
I'm not Auntie Vacks or mask...take it, wear it if ya want...I don't care but, the control and hysteria has just gotta stop...soon...please.

Oh nooooo
You don't have door impact mounting bars either? I did not know that, thought you just needed  hinges and latches.
So pretty fair to say that you don't have interior latches and linkage either which really isn't a big deal.
Having no hinges is a bigger deal than having no door impact bars though or latches for that matter.

You would be in and out of the engine compartment and the trunk constantly trying to shape, fit, form and fabricate the hinges.
Kinda like trying to see if the light in your fridge actually really turns off when you close the door.
Another question,
Do you have plates with theaded bolts glassed into the trunk and hood to mount the hinges onto?
Would be a bonus but not a big huge deal if not.

There is no L&R hood hinge as they are both the same.
There is no L&R trunklid hinge as they are both the same.
But the hood and trunklid hinges are different.
There is no L&R impact side door frame as they are both the same.
There really is no L&R door hinge.....they are just flipped over.

You really now must weld nuts on the front side of plates mounted and welded on the frame "A"/hinge pillar.
And cut out the pocket on the body that goes against the plate.

Have you reached out to Jamcat direct by email?
Maybe? Just Maybe???
He might be kind enough to loan you 1 Impact Door bar with hinge and latch attached, also 1 Hood and 1 Trunklid hinge.

I'm kinda wondering now if that guy that posted a video on here of the dusty frame is in the same boat as you having no impact door bars with hinges and latches or hood and trunk hinges also?
I think he may be in need of a windshield and frame also if I recall correctly?
Was he in Ontario or Quebec maybe? I forget

Maybe you could mock up some lighting to be FL street legal without the body on for a while?
You could nickname your car East Coast Leroy.
Cause there is already a Leroy on the west coast of FL driven by Cleetus of the Freedom Factory fame .
You wouldn't wanna race him for Pink Slips though...

Sending smoke signals out to Jamcat if you are reading this.?

Anyone look up "Drink Box Water Bottle" on Youtube for chucks and giggles?
Cover your keyboard if you are having a Coffee etc...for serious.
Do you believe him?
If he said he bathes in Perrier water and Rose Petals...I would believe that.

Sent: Saturday, April 9, 2022 9:02 PM
To: AuroraCobra <auror...@googlegroups.com>