Fuel gauge

Fabrice FRAYSSINET

Jun 30, 2021, 1:19:43 AM6/30/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Good morning all,
I own cobra # 142.
the fuel gauge no longer works.
Do you have the references of a supplier to change it?
I thank you in advance.
have a good day
fabrice

Fabrice Frayssinet
 Envoyé de mon iPad

odl...@twc.com

Jun 30, 2021, 9:03:36 AM6/30/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
I replaced the fuel level sender in my car a few years ago. The gauge was fine. You'll most likely find the same issue as the sender gets corrosion and such on it thereby rendering it useless. It can't be cleaned at that stage. The task is not hard but requires the tank to be removed. I had the most trouble with the tank gas inlet hose from the filler cap. You may want to replace that while you're at it.

I don't have the purchasing info anymore but here's the unit info:
Caerbont Automotive Instruments ("the original makers of Smiths Instruments")
TB9006/KIT  (Variable length type)  (top mounted, earth return, warning light "Bimetal" characteristic).

You shouldn't have any trouble locating a supplier as this company is I believe in South Wales and still active in supplying gauges for special applications.

Good luck, Wally

Fabrice FRAYSSINET

Jun 30, 2021, 6:01:39 PM6/30/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
thank you very much Wally.
your help is very valuable.
 I will inquire.
Have a good day
Fabrice.

SJ410K

Jul 1, 2021, 1:26:16 PM7/1/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested to see how you make out on this as the sender unit in mine turned into an epic battle with me coming up short of victory.

My sender had worn through the coil windings from years of float bounce in the one main area of the sweep. Game on.

I measured the ohms at the one end and the other. Eventually figured out the tank mount is SAE six bolt type. Found it is called a RH swing version. I looked for one that could handle the shallow tank depth. In the end I came up with Steward Warner 385C-F . Bench testing it, it was correct resistance at full and empty after adding a voltage regulator to deliver the precise amount to get in right . I carefully adjusted the arm length to swing in the tank height. I installed it and it was out. In and out of the tank a dozen times, finally gaving up. Best I can guess is regular tanks are not a perfect box like ours and typically a tapered bottom so the fuel does not change linearly. I moved the arm on my original sender to use a piece of fresh coil and that's where I'm at, still hoping for better.

Colin #32

odl...@twc.com

Jul 1, 2021, 4:17:06 PM7/1/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
I'm no electrical genius but got this one working with no trouble- maybe luck????  I selected the arm length based on their tank depth table. Definitely test the calibration aspect while unit is still not in the tank "in situ". Mine turned out to be quite accurate- gauge and warning light. The sender does have a round six bolt flange. I've attached the website info sheet for further info:
Wally

pet deg

Jul 1, 2021, 8:24:25 PM7/1/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Well, I have to ask when you say it no longer works what exactly is it doing or not doing ? I was able to adjust my gauge when it got to the point of being almost useless . Does it move at all ? does ever indicate anything ?

Just checking Peter # 78

Subject: Re: [auroracobra] Fuel gauge

SJ410K

Jul 1, 2021, 8:52:44 PM7/1/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
So Wally is this correct at every 1/4 of the tanks level?
Colin

odl...@twc.com

Jul 1, 2021, 11:08:05 PM7/1/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Sorry- it's been a few years now and I can't say that it is perfectly linear across the range. I did check the fuel tank level with a "calibrated stick" versus the gauge at several points and I'm sure I'd remember if it was not pretty accurate but no records were kept. My interest was mainly at the lower end as I'm not keen on running out of fuel. The warning light comes on at a reasonably good level- a few gallons.

Fabrice FRAYSSINET

Jul 2, 2021, 1:54:27 AM7/2/21
to auror...@googlegroups.com
Good morning all,
the gauge moves continuously. when the tank is full the gauge indicates a variable value and we see the needle swinging. this phenomenon continues when the tank empties.
in addition, the indicator light also lights up randomly.
fabrice # 142