RT60 Does not display in IOS 14?

schmleff

Jan 20, 2021, 12:21:42 PM1/20/21
to AudioTool Discussion Group
Or maybe I don't understand how to use it but I did follow the manual. It does not seem to display the RT60 graph on my iPad Pro or my Iphone 11.

Am I doing something wrong?

Jeff Lange

Jan 30, 2021, 10:56:02 AM1/30/21
to AudioTool Discussion Group

bump

Julian Bunn

Jan 30, 2021, 2:01:33 PM1/30/21
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

What do you see on the screen? Are you able to trigger a measurement using a loud noise like a hand clap?

Julian

Jeff Lange

Jan 30, 2021, 2:23:06 PM1/30/21
to AudioTool Discussion Group
Yes sir, the noise triggers the measurement but the screen is blank. It happens on my ipad pro, iphone 11 and my friend´s ipad pro and iphone 12.

Julian Bunn

Jan 30, 2021, 3:47:18 PM1/30/21
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
OK, sounds odd. Let me investigate and I'll report back.

Julian Bunn

Jan 30, 2021, 6:06:02 PM1/30/21
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
I can't reproduce that behaviour here, at least on the iOS 14 iPad and iPhone emulators in Xcode (nor in prior iOS versions). I have yet to try physical devices running iOS 14 (there are some limitations with the latest version of Xcode deploying to the latest iOS 14, which is holding that up!).

One thing to bear in mind is that after triggering the measurement there is a significant delay (depending on the speed of the CPU and what other apps are running) before the curves start to show on the screen ... it's by no means instantaneous. Sounds obvious, but have you tried waiting for the results to appear?

Julian

Jeff Lange

Feb 1, 2021, 1:42:24 PM2/1/21
to AudioTool Discussion Group
Julian,

I tried it today on my ipad. I left it sit for 20 minutes multiple times and nothing shows up.

Jeff

Julian Bunn

Feb 1, 2021, 1:53:13 PM2/1/21
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Very odd, it should take a few seconds at most :-) Which iOS version are you running on the iPad, and which version of iAudioTool? Do all other functions of iAudioTool work correctly?

Julian

Jeff Lange

Feb 1, 2021, 2:56:50 PM2/1/21
to AudioTool Discussion Group
Julian,

The iOs version is 14.4 (18D52) and the iAudioTool is version 5.6.16. As far as the other functions go, the spectorams do not work (keeps showing the analyzer) nor do the white and pink noise functions in the generator section. Also, if I pause the analyzer and try to unpause it, it stays paused.

Jeff

Julian Bunn

Feb 1, 2021, 4:32:14 PM2/1/21
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that doesn't sound good :-(

Please try this: first go to the Generator, and set e.g. the Square wave running. Do you hear the sound? Now go back to the Analyser, and verify that you see the RTA working showing a peak at the frequency of the square wave. Then, with the square wave still playing, go to RT60, where you should see a popup "RT60 TRIGGER". Click on the popup - the square wave should stop, and a RT60 calculations start showing. Please report back.

I *think* that the mic trigger level for the clap/bang/shot is too high for iOS 14 (something has changed). If the above works, then you could try a REALLY LOUD noise and let me know if it triggers?!

Julian

Jeff Lange

Feb 2, 2021, 11:34:14 AM2/2/21
to AudioTool Discussion Group
If I do as you suggested, it does give me a measurement. If I then switch off the generator and go back to the RT60 area and click remeasure and clap, it functions properly.

I force closed the app and tried the RT60 function again without the previous steps and nothing again. I again followed your suggestion and then my steps and it functioned again. For now I have a work around but it is a strange bug indeed.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Julian Bunn

Feb 2, 2021, 12:52:12 PM2/2/21
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Yes, strange indeed, but thanks for the extra clues as to what might be going on - I'll take another look and report back.

Julian