Re: [AudioTool-Discuss] Abridged summary of audiotool-discussion-group@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Neil Jolliff

Jul 4, 2023, 1:38:51 AM7/4/23
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julian, I am using fX to access Main Storage Android/data/com.julian.apps.AudioTool/files/AudioTool but only get as far as the data folder, where no sub folders are  visible and I get a restricted access message on screen. I've attached a screenshot.
Regards

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023, 05:28 , <audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Neil Jolliff <neil.j...@gmail.com>: Jul 03 10:17PM +0100

Hi Julian I am unable to access the Android/Data folder on my Android13
Pixel4a 5G in order to save my cal file. Any ideas/workarounds? Thanks
Regards
Neil

...more
Julian Bunn <jjb...@gmail.com>: Jul 03 02:36PM -0700

Hi Neil,

Please confirm you are trying to access:

Android/data/com.julian.apps.AudioTool/files/AudioTool

What app are you using for file access?

Julian

...more
Screenshot_20230704-063102.png

Julian Bunn

Jul 4, 2023, 2:53:14 PM7/4/23
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neil,

Have you already run the AudioTool app at least once? (It creates the AudioTool directory when it initially starts, if it doesn't exist.) I'm not familiar with the fX app, but I wonder if it is restricted from what files it can access. Is there another file manager app that is part of the OS supplied with the phone that you could try?

Julian

Neil Jolliff

Jul 5, 2023, 4:42:51 AM7/5/23
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julian, seems the folder is protected but I was able to use an alternative file manager, in the end, called FV File Explorer but it's not an app for non-techies. I think this issue is going to occur more often as Google locks down file access in versions >= Android13.

It might be worth considering a folder higher up the file structure, and without the critical access issues, for the cal file.

I noticed I also have an Audiotool folder at the top of the folder tree though there's nothing in it.

Thanks for suggesting an alternative file manager to solve my issue, though it's not for the faint hearted.
Best Regards
Neil

On Wed, 5 Jul 2023, 05:28 , <audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi Julian, I am using fX to access Main Storage
Android/data/com.julian.apps.AudioTool/files/AudioTool but only get as far
as the data folder, where no sub folders are visible and I get a ...more
Julian Bunn <jjb...@gmail.com>: Jul 04 11:52AM -0700

Hi Neil,

Have you already run the AudioTool app at least once? (It creates the
AudioTool directory when it initially starts, if it doesn't exist.) I'm not
familiar with the fX app, but I wonder ...more

Julian Bunn

Jul 5, 2023, 12:33:03 PM7/5/23
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neil,

Thanks for this update: very useful!

Google have tightened security in recent Android versions. The only directory AudioTool can write files in is Android/data/com.julian.apps.AudioTool/files, so it's not possible to go higher in the file structure, I'm afraid. Also, that directory is not really supposed to be readable/writeable by any other app, so you see the difficulty.

The AudioTool directory you have elsewhere must be from an older version you had installed, before I had to make the switch to the new location. Life was simpler then!

Julian

Roy Niswanger

Jul 17, 2023, 3:31:41 PM7/17/23
to AudioTool Discussion Group
I too having the same issue with Samsung Galaxy S22 latest android.  I can understand the security about this but the platform needs to allow developers to "disable" this if special file access is required.  Standing by, I have a mic cal I'd like to load.  Thank you.

Julian Bunn

Jul 17, 2023, 5:05:29 PM7/17/23
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
HI Roy,

What problem are you having exactly?

I have found that the Files tool I mention in the FAQ (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marc.files&hl=en_US&gl=US) works quite nicely to access the AudioTool directory.

As regards the Android platform security, needless to say I have no control over that, and I wish it wasn't so restrictive. After all, it's your phone, and you should be able to look at and manipulate any data sitting on it that you see fit.

Julian

Roy Niswanger

Jul 18, 2023, 9:26:10 AM7/18/23
to AudioTool Discussion Group
Both "Files" and FV File Explorer not showing the com.julian folder, even after using/launching AudioTool, restarting app, allow ALL permissions and even restarting phone.  Like OP, it does have an empty AudioTool folder up from the Android/data folder.

Screenshot_20230718_082038_Files.jpgScreenshot_20230718_082057_Files.jpg

Julian Bunn

Jul 18, 2023, 12:45:44 PM7/18/23
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roy,

I can't explain that. Especially as you can see other com.xxxx directories in the "Android/data" directory. com.julian.apps.AudioTool should be there!

Very strange.

Julian