Why not integrate the .cal file with the AudioTool software so its automatically configured?

Mark Schrader

Jun 27, 2022, 8:09:19 PM6/27/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
It appears this would save you a lot of valuable time & effort.

pa sk

Jun 28, 2022, 4:48:44 PM6/28/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
What do you mean by "integrate the .cal file with the AudioTool"?

Mark David

Jun 29, 2022, 7:34:01 AM6/29/22
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com

So no one has to manually find & change the cal file. This should be automatic. Why should anyone be required to do this in order for this app to work ?
Do you understand where I'm coming from now? Perhaps someone else can better clarify  this for me or explain better?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/audiotool-discussion-group/153710f5-efc4-4b66-9572-b3c6e91bc02bn%40googlegroups.com
.

pa sk

Jun 29, 2022, 11:38:15 AM6/29/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group

hm, assume you have a1.cal, a2.cal, etc.
think about having .cal file and not wanting to use it

methinks that some better UI might do the job; but automation? i'd better leave thinking to my head than to software

pa sk

Jun 29, 2022, 11:46:57 AM6/29/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
and besides, the phrase " integrate the .cal file with the AudioTool software so its automatically configured"  is ambiguous (at least three different meanings, in this context)
so thank you for clarification :)

pa sk

Jun 29, 2022, 6:59:33 PM6/29/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
Why should anyone be required to do this in order for this app to work ?
You do not have to load calibration file to use AudioTool, it will work perfectly without it, only the measurements will be less acurate
However, from my experience with Dayton iMM-6 and its calibration file, the one-point calibration (offset) gives decent results, and considering the unpredicted behaviour of phones' preamps it might even become an overkill to use any calibration
and I am not talking about only the simple static frequency response of preamps - if it was only this then we'd be in heaven ;)
dynamic behaviour is far more devastating, you know
so far I've had only one phone (checked 6 in total) which had purely linear gain and its noise up to 4 kHz were simply 1/f noise - for this one the calibration was really justified
wish you luck in setting up your AudioTool :)

Mark Schrader

Jun 29, 2022, 7:19:04 PM6/29/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
I'm trying to figure out why my Motorola G7 android phone does not see the cal file? It saw it before on other android phone before it died. What do you recommend I name it? Yes I do want accurate readings. I assumed it was not working because the cal file would not load.
Any tips? I do appreciate what this app can do for my 7.1 home theater system. It enable me to tune the 10 band equalizer within my Asus sound card. It made a noticeable improvement.

pa sk

Jun 29, 2022, 7:32:26 PM6/29/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
the name of .cal file doesn't matter, at least sth like you see on the attached screenshot work as they should
what's important are the location (\audiotool\) and the internal structure of the file
Screenshot_20220630-012444-720.jpg

pa sk

Jun 29, 2022, 7:33:15 PM6/29/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
ufff, sorry for that huge image - i dodn't know it'd look like this ...

Mark Schrader

Jun 29, 2022, 7:51:56 PM6/29/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
Thank you, I really appreciate this. Does the cal file really make a difference for the android version AudioTool? If not I won't bother with it. I was originally under the impression that I would generate unreliable readings if I did not include the cal file when using the Dayton imm-6 mic for audio calibration.

pa sk

Jun 29, 2022, 8:01:59 PM6/29/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
it very much depends on a particular phone model, e.g. motorola edge+ is a crap if it comes to audio path and you may very well forget about the original .cal file from Dayton Audio - you have to construct your own one
I don't know how G7 behaves
have you got access to some audio calibrator and sound level meter or at least to the latter?

pa sk

Jun 29, 2022, 8:27:25 PM6/29/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
you know, you have to make few assumptions and the most tricky is the faith that your phone has linear gain, not much affected by various DSPs inside the phone
not having the sound level meter all the measurements you can do will be relative measurements - you will not measure the absolute sound level
but it's OK for your task (setting the audio system, right?)
however, one thing you have to know - the freq response of mike + phone audio path
the response of the mike you already know - it's in the .cal file
the response of your phone is a mystery - you can try to approximate it with two methods:
 1. short the mike input of the phone and observe the full spectrum measurement, the best for the highest resolution and "slow" detector
 2. connect the iMM-6 and in some very quiet environment observe the same as above
or you can do both
if in both cases you get the spectrum of a pink noise, or at least a decent approximation (+/- 2 dB) you're a lucky man:

try this at the beginning :)

btw 1, about the file name - remove any spaces or any weird characters from it, use only letters and numbers
btw 2, have you checked the internal structure of a file?