Averaging (vs time)

Jean-Baptiste ROMANET

Apr 24, 2022, 3:41:24 PM4/24/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
Hi Audiotool community.
I am running version 8.4.2 on Pixel 5 with Android 12.

When pressing Avg off button, it turns to Averaging and the counter is incrementing on top left but the graph display is frozen, whatever the type.

Averaging is not working, it is stopping the calculation. The effect is similar to the paused/running button.

I have tried to reset the app, but without success.

When averaging is activated the signal input waveform is still refreshed.

Is averaging running well on your smartphone ?
Message has been deleted

Julian Bunn

Apr 25, 2022, 12:39:29 PM4/25/22
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jean-Baptiste,

I can't reproduce the averaging problem you describe. If I start averaging and let it run for a few cycles then whistle at the microphone I see the level at the appropriate frequency rise: the software is taking data and averaging it.

The app has to be in "Running" mode, of course.

Julian

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

pa sk

Apr 28, 2022, 3:51:58 AM4/28/22
to AudioTool Discussion Group
Hey!
What is going on with that topic?
All messages deleted?
There really is something weird in averaging function.

I thought I had a very similar issue as J-B had but, after checking what Krunoslav told, I found the thing is different.
And the behaviour is consistent on different phones (POCO/Xiaomi Android 10, Motorola Edge+ and Samsung A51 - both Android 11).
Julian I think you should look at the averaging procedure/-s again.

I'll desribe the problem when I'm back from work :)

Julian Bunn

Apr 28, 2022, 12:45:22 PM4/28/22
to audiotool-dis...@googlegroups.com
Let me know if you can reproduce and describe the problem. I looked again at the code, and don't see anything wrong.

Here is a test: set AudioTool to "Impulse" speed and start averaging. Whistle briefly into the mic: you should see a peak appear in the display and then fade away as more samples are averaged. This is the expected behaviour.

With the metering set to "Slow" this effect is much less pronounced. Perhaps users want a switch to defeat the metering during averaging?

I banned Krunoslav as he was becoming offensive towards me.

Julian