USB-C mic & DAC on Android phone

mbone12368

Dec 17, 2021, 2:21:44 PM12/17/21
to AudioTool Discussion Group
I'm interested in using AudioTool on an Android phone, attached to a USB DAC (Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M). I see a lot of discussion in this group about using analog measurement mics, but I'm interested in using a digital mic with a USB-C connection. But my phone only has one USB-C port, so is it even possible to use such a mic, since I need to connect it and the DAC at the same time?

I know there are USB-C splitters available, but most of them split into one path for power and the other for audio. Are there splitters available to allow audio on both paths, to allow DAC & mic audio at the same time? I'm trying to determine if this is possible before buying a USB-C mic since they're more expensive than analog. Anyone do this successfully and know of particular models of splitters that would work here?

I would also welcome any thoughts on whether there's really much advantage to using a digital mic over analog. My phone does have a 1/8" analog jack, so I could go analog. I know the analog inputs can affect the input signal, but I suppose the analog path before the A-D converter in the digital mic could also do the same thing.