How do you stop playback?

Thom Blum

Jul 3, 2021, 6:54:00 PM7/3/21
to AudioStellar
I'm enjoying AudioStellar but how does one stop playback?

Thanks!

Leandro Garber

Jul 4, 2021, 11:41:32 AM7/4/21
to Thom Blum, AudioStellar
Hi, thanks ! what do you mean ? are you using long audio clips ?

El sáb., 3 jul. 2021 19:54, Thom Blum <moht...@gmail.com> escribió:
I'm enjoying AudioStellar but how does one stop playback?

Thanks!

Thom Blum

Jul 4, 2021, 3:02:18 PM7/4/21
to AudioStellar
Sorry, Leandro, I was not very clear. What I meant is this.... Let's say you have just one Unit -- Explorer. Now you create a Trajectory and the unit starts playing it in a loop. How do you stop the playback? I figure out that you can Remove the unit, but is there any other way to stop the looping/playback?

agustín Spinetto

Jul 5, 2021, 1:11:37 AM7/5/21
to Thom Blum, AudioStellar
Hello Thom,

this is Agus, also from AudioStellar.
So, the software doesn't have a play/stop button. For that reason, the 2 ways to stop it, would be to clear the trajectory or mute the Unit.
In the case of the "Sequence Unit", there is a slight difference. Sequence units follow the global tempo. This tempo can't be stopped. But, if you sync AudioStellar with other software/hardware by using the Midi Clock option in the Settings menu, then the global tempo will follow the other software/hardware, and in that case, it is possible to Play/Stop the Sequence Units from this other software/hardware. For example, if you Midi sync with Ableton Live, every time you play or stop in Ableton, Sequence Units will play/stop. The same will be if you use an external sequencer, like an Arturia Beatstep, for example.
Although it is not possible yet, we are planning to make "Trajectories" follow the global tempo too.

Hope this helps. Any other suggestions, feel free to write.

Agus

--
Agustín J. Spinetto
MA at Tokyo University of the Arts - Graduate School of Music

agustín Spinetto

Thom Blum

Jul 5, 2021, 2:52:46 AM7/5/21
to AudioStellar
Thank you, Agus. I get that now. But one last question, please.
When you mute a Unit, does the underlying engine (software) continue to compute for that unit or does it stop. I suspect it continues and the mute action simply mutes the audio output, but not the processing leading up to the output. Which is correct? I'm curious about it from a computer resources point of view.

Thanks again,
Thom

Leandro Garber

Jul 5, 2021, 11:18:45 AM7/5/21
to Thom Blum, AudioStellar
The unit will continue processing but the output will be muted, just like any DAW, I don't think it is a good idea to stop processing when muted.

I agree it would be useful to have play/pause stop buttons for trajectories and probably sequences

Thom Blum

Jul 5, 2021, 1:15:51 PM7/5/21
to Leandro Garber, Thom Blum, AudioStellar
Thanks very much, Leandro. I’ll continue to explore AudioStellar with confidence knowing this info.

Best regards,
Thom

On Jul 5, 2021, at 8:18 AM, Leandro Garber <leandr...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AudioStellar" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/audiostellar/CANsQED-4EF6%2BuJcsLyT%2BtGdX%3DQRMNA0TvFTewpe8YCM8q5s%2B9Q%40mail.gmail.com.