Audiolense 6.13

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 20, 2020, 10:19:35 AM12/20/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

[20 dec 2020]

Audiolense 6.13 (64 bit)

Audiolense 6.13 (32 bit)

  • Made improvements to the wasapi measurement method

Wasapi gave too few available channels with certain sound cards and dacs. A change has been made that will hopefully eliminate this problem.

Wasapi capture does (still) not work on Lynx Hilo,  which has been used for testing. Time will show if this is a widespread problem. Wasapi does however seem to work well for render and capture on realtek (embedded) sound cards.

In any case, this change will hopefully make it easier for several users to combine usb dac with usb mic during measurement.

I have also done some testing of win mme and direct sound measurement. Both seem to work well. Both of these are “shared mode” methods that goes via windows sound mixer. The signal will be resampled if the sample rate used for measurement differs from the default rate for the device in Windows. The resampling seems to work pretty well, though. For multichannel measurement, the sound card has to be configured for multichannel playback in Windows, or else these measurement methods will only work for stereo. Wasapi uses exclusive path and has none of these limitations.

Mvh,

Bernt

Tim

Dec 20, 2020, 2:58:33 PM12/20/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bernt,

I still get the same error message when trying to directly use WASAPI direct with or without the “use separate record/playback streams” option.

It would be helpful to display (or log) the exact mismatch type(s) to narrow down the problem.  The ambiguous error dialog is still indicating the indeterminate permutations of 4 potential causes.

Configuration:

·         Win 7-64-bit Ultimate, 2 SSDs, 16GB Memory, Intel i7 4 core/8 thread processor

·         Spectrum Labs Calibrated UMIK-1 USB Mic (only supports 24-bit/48KHz)

·         OKTO Research DAC8 PRO USB DAC

·         DAC configured to 7.1 channels in Windows Control Panel/Sound/Device

·         DAC configured to default of 24/48KHz in Windows

·         Stereo 3-way, using 6 of the 8 channels.

Sincerely,

Tim

Audiolense User Forum.
http://groups.google.com/group/audiolense?hl=en?hl=en

image002.jpg

Fabien THOMAS

Dec 20, 2020, 3:03:46 PM12/20/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On my side last time I was not able to record Umik1 and Motu 8A with Wasapi.

Fabien

Télécharger Outlook pour Android

Dec 20, 2020, 3:52:00 PM12/20/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fabien (and anyone using a Motu Dac/adc),

I use a calibrated EMM6 mic with a phantom power supply (~$100 total) hooked up to my MOTU 8A which allows playback and recording to be synchronized on the same clock. I use the motu pro driver instead of wasapi. It’s not perfect. I still get intermittent errors and knocking sounds during the sweep but it’s less trouble than a USB microphone.

Omid.

Fabien THOMAS

Dec 20, 2020, 4:49:20 PM12/20/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Omid,

Thanks for your feedback.

To be honest I found Audiolense quite sensitive. Normally there is no issue with Umik1 as it is used by a lot of people with REW or Dirac.

Fabien

Télécharger Outlook pour Android

Dec 20, 2020, 5:08:43 PM12/20/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tim,

The same ambiguity exists in Window’s audioclient api. The format is either accepted or rejected, including number of channels, sample format, sample rate and exclusive / shared mode.

This is the subjectcall: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/audioclient/nf-audioclient-iaudioclient-isformatsupported

Audiolense only uses exclusive mode with wasapi. Wasapi shared mode is practically the same as dsound and win mme.

Have you configured the two devices for allowing exclusive mode in windows?

Mvh,

Bernt

Dec 20, 2020, 5:10:09 PM12/20/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Another test with Wasapi using 7.1 48Khz/24b (default format for headphones / microphone).

It failed with this error. It should work normally ?

Fabien

De : Bernt Rønningsbakk
Envoyé le :Sunday, December 20, 2020 4:19 PM
À : audio...@googlegroups.com
Objet :[audiolense] Audiolense 6.13

--

2020-12-20 23_07_04-Audiolense 6.13 XO Version. Current Setup_ 7.1.png
2020-12-20 23_07_30-Audiolense 6.13 XO Version. Current Setup_ 7.1.png

Tim

Dec 20, 2020, 6:42:12 PM12/20/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bernt,

Here are the Win7-64 settings for the UMIK-1 and the DAC8 PRO WASAPI drivers.

Are there any other EXCLUSIVE MODE configurations that should be set elsewhere ?

FWIW, I noticed that Windows 10’s playback device options list the number of channels in the FORMAT GUI, but Win7-64 does not.

Here is the Win7-64 7.1 channel configuration for the DAC8 PRO WASAPI driver.

Let me know what I should try or if there are any other settings to be made.

image004.jpg
image006.jpg
image007.jpg
image008.jpg

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 20, 2020, 7:20:03 PM12/20/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Wasapi seems to work with multichannel on my asus u7 usb dac with 6 channels in and out. It starts, runs and stops. I am testing without speakers and mic connected, but it is reasonable to expect that the streaming is OK.

Wasapi works on Lynx Hilo for  multichannel output, but does not accept the IAudioClient::IsFormatSupported() call for the input although it has 8 input channels available in any of the other 3 methods.

Realtek on my laptop accepts everything except Asio. It doesn’t have an Asio driver.

The two last cases posted here by Fabien and Tim should have come past the format checking if they had responded properly to the IAudioClient::IsFormatSupported() call, which is a very basic function in Windows’ core audio api. I have hard-coded 128 available channels for input and output, because  the most logical way to poll for number of channels has shortcomingsm and channel support anyway is covered by the isformatsupported call.  I believe  IAudioClient::IsFormatSupported() call returns with a “this format is not supported” value in these cases. There is one call for input and another for output, btw.  If any of the two devices are rejected, the configuration will not be accepted.

Issues such as these arise from time to time. It usually involves USB devices that doesn’t come with a custom made driver.

I have asked Lynx Studio to check the subject call on wasapi rendering on the Lynx Hilo. If they get back with a response I may learn something from that. Or maybe they will find a bug. That is unlikely to matter in this case since you guys do get a rendering reject. Right now there isn’t much else I can do to make wasapi recording work unless you guys have suggestions.

Mvh,

Bernt

Dec 20, 2020, 7:26:49 PM12/20/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Your settings look all right to me.

Which format gui are you referring to, btw?

And does jriver work with 8 channel wassapi rendering? You can test this by choosing 7.1 as output format in jriver’s dsp studio and choos DIYNHK wasapi as the output device. I know someone I could ask a couple of questions if this works.

And if you e.g. choose direct sound for your dac (in Audiolense) and stick to the wasapi for the microphone – do you get a green light?

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg

Tim

Dec 20, 2020, 8:53:09 PM12/20/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bernt,

I was refering to the format in the “Speakers Properties” GUI, “24 bit, 48KHz (Studio Quality)”.

Windows 10 displays something like “8 channel, 24 bit, 48KHz (Studio Quality)”.

cid:image002.jpg@01D6D738.58ABC1C0

JRMC handles 6 or 8 channels of the DAC8 PRO fine with either the ASIO or WASAPI driver (No ASIO4ALL or FlexASIO required) with or without convolution up to 192KHz PCM or DSD128.

When I measure in REW, I measure through JRMC’s WDM so I get safe volume control, XO, frequency, phase, delays and OB/Dipole rolloff compensation filters.  Input is REW’s Java and output is JRMC’s WDM.  I would like to replace REW and RePhase with an automated integrated solution.

I have JRMC’s WDM defined as the default Windows output device so I don’t blow out my tweeters by other Windows apps bypassing the crossovers.  I should probably disable Windows OS sounds if I haven’t already (e.g. error bleeps, boot sounds, etc.).  Web based audio aps use JRMC’s default WDM driver (youtube, Pandora, Spotify, etc.).

I don’t know what green light you are referring to.

When I use “Enable Direct Sound”,  Direct Sound as output and WASAPI as input, it allows me to check all 6 speakers correctly, but I get the same mismatch error when trying to measure, with or without “Use separate record/playback streams”.  If it sees all 6 speakers on the speaker check, it should know what a mic is.  Note: I have not done any special configurations for “Direct Sound” and don’t know where I would do that.  Maybe it needs to be set to 24/48 like the mic.

When I try the same thing with “Windows MME”, I get a paUnanticipatedHostError when trying to check speakers and the same mismatch error when trying to measure.

image002.jpg
image005.jpg
image006.jpg
image007.jpg
image001.jpg

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 21, 2020, 1:06:44 AM12/21/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

There’s no channel count for Lynx Hilo on my 64 bit Win10. So I wouldn’t worry about that.

I have a miniDSP Ears unit here. So I figured I’d test with that. It appears that it does not support exclusive mode, even though it has the check box for it in the Sound control panel that you inserted a picture of below. Perhaps the same is the case for the Umik. Both are driverless and both are hardcoded with 24 bit / 48 kHz.

image001.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg
image006.jpg

Fabien Thomas

Dec 21, 2020, 4:20:08 AM12/21/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

It seems you are right, in this case the headphones does not support exclusive Wasapi (tested with Qobuz App).

Maybe adding the information that Exclusive is not available and capture without it ?

Fabien

De : Fabien Thomas
Envoyé le :Sunday, December 20, 2020 11:10 PM
À : audio...@googlegroups.com
Objet :RE : [audiolense] Audiolense 6.13

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 21, 2020, 9:37:57 AM12/21/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Yes I think I will implement shared mode as an option. Then Audiolense will have three of the kind…..

At least it will give one more winning ticket in the lottery for those pieces of hardware that doesn’t have a proper driver.

Mvh,

Bernt

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 22, 2020, 10:41:07 AM12/22/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Your site is being reported by google as having malicious content. Has something happened?
Greetings from Denmark
Johnny

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 22, 2020, 10:46:05 AM12/22/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

I’m on it. Most likely false alarm.  The web hotel is having technical problems.

Mvh,

Bernt

Audiolense User Forum.
http://groups.google.com/group/audiolense?hl=en?hl=en

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 22, 2020, 10:59:50 AM12/22/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Thanks, I was just about to download 6.13 and play with it. I really want to pull the trigger and buy an XO license, but still fighting with getting it to work exactly like I want it to :)

Greetings from Denmark
Johnny

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 22, 2020, 11:38:22 AM12/22/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

You can use the link down below.

I’ve checked that those files hasn’t been tampered with.

Mvh,

Bernt

Your site is being reported by google as having malicious content. Has something happened?

Greetings from Denmark

Johnny

Error! Filename not specified.

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 22, 2020, 11:46:01 AM12/22/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Thanks, will try it right away.
On 6.12 I "can almost" measure through JRiver (which would solve my subwoofer summation issue), but am seeing delays that are sometimes correct and sometimes not.

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 22, 2020, 11:57:59 AM12/22/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Unfortunately still the same WASAPI issue with my Prism Sound Atlas (The channel setup is not supported by the sound card. Perhaps too many channels?)

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 22, 2020, 12:40:21 PM12/22/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

I believe that should work, but use Asio through jriver if you can.

Omid Mostachfi

Dec 22, 2020, 1:17:55 PM12/22/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Johnny,

Aside from your present measurement issues, I realized/remembered you can implement delays for your subwoofers without going through JRiver. You just open your cfg file and manually input the delays per subwoofer channel, if the delay is not too long.
 The delay cannot exceed half the partition length.  So if you are using a 44.1kHz and a filter that is 131072 taps long, for example, you cannot delay by more than 1486ms (131072 / 44.1 / 2)”

Omid.

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 22, 2020, 1:26:17 PM12/22/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

I am still looking into this. I have four devices here for testing various wasapi settings, and they do not respond the same way at all. Between the two multichannel sound cards I am using, there are shortcomings that will require serious workaround coding to find out if it will  work.  Getting some audio through the right channels is just first base. But I am considering it. The two multichannel cards I am testing with seem to do 2,4 and 6 channels OK, but not 3 and 5. Lynx Hilo accepts 1 channel rendering, but the audio that goes out is a stereo signal that has nothing in common with the log sweep it’s supposed to be. And then Hilo only accepts 8 channels for the recording stream. I believe it works too,  but I need to implement multichannel capture in Audiolense just to find out.

Wasapi is messy and I don’t know if I will be able to work around all the unexpected responses I am getting.  I’ll try, though.

As for now, direct sound and winmme behave more predictable and reliable … most of the time, and Asio4All is the best way to stay clear of the Windows mixer during measurement when true Asio drivers are missing.

Nothing comes close to native Asio, though. It is more stable, the audio streams are much less likely to skip or hang, the protocol is transparent with literally no ambiguity,  and practically any sound card respond the way they are sopposed to on most commands. It is a pity that Microsoft hasn’t been able to make something that is equally reliable.

If you get fed up of all these measurement problems, get a Lynx Aurora, an RME sound card or something similar that is made for the professional market and has a native Asio driver.

And Johnny, could you do me a favour and test the Prism with different number of output channels? You probably have an embedded microphone on your pc that you can assign for the capture … just to keep it out of the way….

Fabien Thomas

Dec 22, 2020, 1:33:31 PM12/22/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bernt,

Just a proposal : If you can give us a debug tool that dump WASAPI info we can give back the debug log for you to look at.

Regards,

Fabien

De : Bernt Rønningsbakk
Envoyé le :Tuesday, December 22, 2020 7:26 PM
À : audio...@googlegroups.com
Objet :RE: [audiolense] Re: Audiolense 6.13

1.      Made improvements to the wasapi measurement method

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 22, 2020, 1:34:37 PM12/22/20
to Audiolense User Forum
The weird "file open error" still exists for Direct Sound and WME (through JRiver), if I use them for both input and output. Also, it is evident on the "Microphone input monitor" that no signal is registered on the input.

If I choose Direct Sound/WME as output (through JRiver), and ASIO as input the file open error is gone. It appears to be almost stable, but I get occasional clicks/pops (WME is a lot more stable than Direct Sound on my setup).

Interestingly, both Direct Sound and WME output (through JRiver) measures a longer delay on my "farthest away" subwoofer than when measured through ASIO (without Jriver). If all other channels measure delays exactly like ASIO, that subwoofer measures 11.75ms (WME/Direct Sound) and 12.25ms (ASIO). A 0.5ms difference really does not matter with an XO @100Hz, but still strange.

ASIO through JRiver does not work, I get the same paDeviceUnavailable as I did in 6.12. Sometimes the "Check Speaker Connections" will "work" for the first speaker, albeit with lots of dropouts, if I press ok to get the next speaker the paDeviceUnavailable shows its ugly face :-(

Note: The above is for a 2.1 speaker setup: Front Left small, Front Right small, Subwoofer (1 or 3 channels)

Extending my tests to a 2.1 with: Front Left small (100-250Hz), Front Right small (100.01-250Hz), Front Left small (>250Hz), Front Right small (>250Hz), Subwoofer (1 channel)
Now I see different delays, but fairly consistent from one WME measurement (JRiver) to the next.
The delays no longer match what I measured direct via ASIO, perhaps because I route two channels (my left and right midbass) in JRiver to get them on "reachable channels" (routing them in JRiver from Surround Left/Right to channel9+10 on the Prism device).
Delays ASIO Prism:
Left tweeter: 0.00
Right Tweeter: 0.15
Left midbass: 1.42
Right midbass: 1.58
Subwoofer: 12.27

Delays WME JRiver: (with just left, right & Sub, no midbass)
Left tweeter: 0.00
Right Tweeter: 0.15
Subwoofer: 11.75

Delays WME Jriver: (left tweeter, right tweeter, left mid, rigfht mid, sub)
Left tweeter: 0.15
Right Tweeter: 0.29
Left midbass: 0.00
Right midbass: 0.54
Subwoofer: 11.92

That change in delays are odd..

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 22, 2020, 1:38:06 PM12/22/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi Omid,

Are you sure it works? According to the JRMC wiki, input delays are not supported in the cfg-file? (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convolution)

But, the real problem is that I need the delays and routing, to be in place before I measure with Audiolense. Audiolense must see all of my subwoofers as one unit, and not measure (and correct) them as individual subwoofers.

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 22, 2020, 2:00:30 PM12/22/20
to Audiolense User Forum
I will do what I can to help.

1. If you get fed up of all these measurement problems, get a Lynx Aurora, an RME sound card or something similar that is made for the professional market and has a native Asio driver.
Answer: The Prism Sound Atlas is a 4.200 EUR professional sound card with native ASIO drivers. Its intended use are music studios. It only features 10 analog outputs though, so I have daisy chained a custom 2-channel DAC (hardware from Digital Audio Denmark) via SPDIF to get 12 channels in total.

2. And Johnny, could you do me a favour and test the Prism with different number of output channels? You probably have an embedded microphone on your pc that you can assign for the capture … just to keep it out of the way….
Prism with different number of output channels, you mean adjusting the number of output channels in JRiver -> Output Format? Currently I have it set to 12, but can try 14 and 16, if that is what you mean?
My HTPC does not have an embedded microphone, but I can attach another USB soundcard (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 or 2i2) and use that as the microphoone input?
The above testing, is that for Audiolense output as WASAPI, ASIO or something else, and what input type (WASAPI/ASIO/..) do you want me to use on the Scarlett USB soundcard?

I did try one thing, to use a different mic interface (Steam Streaming Microphone) WASAPI. JRiver ASIO output is still full of drops outs, and JRiver WASAPI still give the same error.

Tim

Dec 22, 2020, 2:06:50 PM12/22/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

FWIW, JRMC supports delays via their “Parametric Equalizer/Add/Delay” option.

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 22, 2020, 2:36:49 PM12/22/20
to Audiolense User Forum
I know, and I use that. But, it doesn't solve my Audiolense measurement issues, since I have troubles measuring with audiolense through JRiver.

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 23, 2020, 5:32:46 AM12/23/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fabien,

I don’t think it will give me any new info. If IAudioClient::IsFormatSupported() returns OK, Audiolense will tell you that the format is supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/audioclient/nf-audioclient-iaudioclient-isformatsupported

I have already implemented sharemode wasapi, which will be out in the next release. Maybe that will work for some.

Mvh,

Bernt

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 23, 2020, 5:41:26 AM12/23/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Johnny,

Clearly something is happening through jriver here.

The measurement you’ve done with Asio seems reliable.  Same delay between left and right tweeter and left and right midbass.

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 23, 2020, 5:48:21 AM12/23/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Much appreciated, Johnny

I could potentially modify the code to round up to the nearest supported channel count if I get some indication that channel count support is the bottleneck here.

It would be helpful if you could test wasapi out with your sound card.

Start out with a 1 speaker configuration and see how wasapi in Audiolense responded. Preferrably listen to the output as well, since I am experiencing a funny stereo output on my Hilo with one speaker out.

Then try odd number speakers and just check if the format is supported. And if the wasapi input is not supported by your sound card just use something else, the microphone or line level input on the embedded sound card on your PC will do just fine.

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 23, 2020, 11:34:23 AM12/23/20
to Audiolense User Forum
I will do my best, when Christmas family-time permits.

Today I connected the Focusrite Scarlett and use it to output an analog signal to an input on the Prism Sound Atlas. This enables me to measure with REW through JRiver (ASIO Line-In). It is totally stable, but a little inconvenient :-)

As soon as possible I will make the WASAPI experiements for you.

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 23, 2020, 3:43:36 PM12/23/20
to Audiolense User Forum
I am afraid I won't be of much help.

The amount of channels (in Audiolense) on the JRiver (WASAPI) device does not matter, I get the same errors.
As Microphone Input Device I tried with the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 in WASAPI mode, and I also tried with a USB headset (Jabra Evolve) in WASAPI mode. Lastly I tried with the embedded "Mic: High Definition Audio Device", and got the same errors.
If I have disabled "Separate play and recording streams" I get the "Invalid channel count" error.
If I have enabled "Separate play and recording streams" I instead get the "paInvalidDevice" error.

One funny observation. When choosing a 1-channel speaker setup in Audiolense, sometimes it still shows an 80Hz crossover in the graphics :-)

morr...@tpg.com.au

Jan 8, 2021, 3:11:01 AM1/8/21
to Audiolense User Forum
Bernt

Have you been able to progress getting WASPI to work ? I downloaded and tried 6.13 and still get the same error message about too many channels. I am using Windows 10 pro with a Metric Halo ULN8 - an 8 channel DAC/ADC using usb connection to the windows computer. It uses the built in windows driver. The windows mme  option works but I would much prefer not togo through windows mixer.
Apart from mme the only other option that works for me is ASIO4all however I get occasional clicks during the playback of the recording steps if I use ASIO4all.
I am using 8 channels out on the ULN8. I also use the ULN8 for mic input for the measurements.

Regards
Mark

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Jan 8, 2021, 4:15:05 AM1/8/21
to audio...@googlegroups.com

I have enabled shared mode, which will be out in the next release.

What I have seen so far of wasapi implementations is a mixed bag. I believe the code in Audiolense is already OK when wasapi is properly implemented in the driver. But this is quite often not the case. E.g. Lynx Hilo only accepts standard source formats with 2, 4, 6 and 8 channels. And on the input side it only accepts that all 8 input channels are used. And I don’t even know if that really works or just reports to be supported. The Hilo also accepts one channel playback, but what comes through is a total mess … in stereo! So I contacted the driver designer in Lynx and told him of my findings. It  appears that they don’t do USB drivers themselves, but  are  using a widely used 3rd party driver. This could mean that the problems I am seeing with the Hilo is widespread. And those who doesn’t even accept exclusive mode may have other problems.

I am considering implementing a probing approach, probing for the nearest accepted channel count that is high enough, but I haven’t decided whether it is worthwhile to try this. It will complicate the code a lot because I will need to do double book-keeping on channel count and channel routing. Actually a triple, since double book keeping was implemented with the channel override option. And I fear that there are more surprises waiting to surface.

I have contacted the driver manufacturer. Their first response was that Lynx did not use their driver. So I gave them a direct quote from Lynx Studio. Haven’t heard anything from them since. Perhaps they are looking into it and will come back with new info. I am still tempted to try the probing approach, though.

Mvh,

Bernt

morr...@tpg.com.au

Jan 10, 2021, 2:13:39 AM1/10/21
to Audiolense User Forum
Thanks for the update Bernt. I will wait for the next release and see if that works with the Metric Halo ULN8.
On a seperat item. Do you send out a reminder when our yearly support payment is due ?

Regards
Mark

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Jan 11, 2021, 4:41:20 PM1/11/21
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mark,

Sorry, I don’t have a system for keeping up when support periods expires.

I could put it in Audiolense and the convolver, so that you get a reminder if you use the apps when the support period had run out. But wouldn’t it appear to be fussy?

PS Please sign up to the new forum at AVNirvana so we can get it going 100%.