How to have an AVR working with active speakers that use DSP crossover

DRCuser

Dec 28, 2020, 1:27:10 AM12/28/20
to Audiolense User Forum

Hi Bernt and anyone else that may know

I have a Denon AVR that I use with Apple TV 4K and cable/satellite TV box  , for TV shows and movies etc.

I use passive speakers at the moment in that setup.

I want to move my DSP crossover speakers down there, to have 1 combined setup for both TV and critical music.

The DSP active setup is 3-way which includes pair of subwoofers (i.e. tweeter, woofer and sub for each Left and Right).

Note the Denon AVR does feature EXT IN - I've used these external inputs before to use my Denon as multichannel power amp - fed from Focusrite 18i20 10 channel DAC.

Any tips / ideas?

I can't figure out what I would need to get this working with the Denon AVR.

Would be great to have just one killer listening system that covers both music and movies.

I do know that I can always just setup an Intel NUC to use as Home Theatre PC that would cover most of my viewing.

But I like having Dolby Atmos etc.

DRCuser

Dec 28, 2020, 2:00:53 AM12/28/20
to Audiolense User Forum
I imagine the main issue is software DSP crossover on a PC.

So the only way to make this work is with a standalone box crossover - like a miniDSP box?

Then the AVR pre-out outputs feeds this DRC box?

Can Audiolense output convolution filters compatible with any of the miniDSP solutions?

Omid Mostachfi

Dec 28, 2020, 2:12:23 AM12/28/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
If I understand your needs correctly, I guess you could use the preout on your avr to an analog digital converter, send the signal to the pc running audiolense convolver. Your audio could also go through the convolver.

Omid.

Audiolense User Forum.
http://groups.google.com/group/audiolense?hl=en?hl=en

DRCuser

Dec 28, 2020, 2:16:30 AM12/28/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Thanks Omid.

But if you consider an Apple TV 4K feeding AVR - how will the AVR know what to do with DSP crossover?

If the AVR pre-outs feed an A-to-D converter, then what? You mean have this feed a PC running convolution engine?

Omid Mostachfi

Dec 28, 2020, 2:31:16 AM12/28/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Yes.
Apple TV 5.1 signal—> avr—> rear and center channels off to amp, r an l main (+sub?) off to ADC then to the pc to do DSP (in Audiolense convolver) then back out to your multi channel Dac, then to the amp with a few milliseconds delay.

DRCuser

Dec 28, 2020, 2:36:53 AM12/28/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Thanks Omid. Yes this works.

I wonder if my Focusrite 18i20 Gen3 interface which features both analogue inputs and outputs, could do it all at the same time?

Take input from AVR pre-outs, then output the convolved playback

I'm also looking if any of the miniDSP standalone DRC boxes can work, to avoid using PC completely in the living room.

I started a seperate thread about the miniDSP solutions.

Omid Mostachfi

Dec 28, 2020, 2:55:53 AM12/28/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Yes from the specs I think it can. You just need to route the signal through the software.
The mini DSP is a bit more limited in cpu power than a pc (less taps). On the other hand with a pc you have to make sure the convolver is always running automatically.
You’d also presumably have to switch the input channel in Audiolense convolver depending on which source you’re listening to (music or Apple TV).   If the switch is too annoying there is a fix for that too but it takes a bit of work. You send your audio (2 channels, no DSP) to the dac route the signal back to the pc (no conversion, still digital) using the same 2 channels as the avr.  Or you could use a  virtual  cable to achieve the same result.

DRCuser

Dec 28, 2020, 3:00:51 AM12/28/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Thanks! I'll try this route first with PC and using the I/O of my Focusrite and will see if it's too annoying.

In theory once I setup the convolver on the Intel NUC, I really shouldn't have to interact with the PC too much when watching Apple TV  or Cable TV box for example.