Advice

Kees Huizinga

Dec 21, 2020, 1:19:59 PM12/21/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hello everyone, My name is Cornelis and I am new to this forum. Today I have been working on the demo version. A versatile and interesting program. Like some dacpro8 owners here on the forum, I was unable to get reliable delay measurements. With both Asio4All and mme, the delays differed per measurement, despite the "Excellent Dynamic Range" compliment. ;) Luckily I had measured the delay earlier, with the help of Arta and VituixCAD. Now I wonder if you can just change the measured values without affecting the measurement and the resulting correction. Maybe measurements with an incorrect delay are always unusable. This question also applies to changing the crossover frequency. The standard 3.5 kHz is really too high for my 6.5 inch midrange. It is a pity that it is not possible to listen to the result with the demo.
Hopefully someone can advise me.

Tim

Dec 21, 2020, 2:43:30 PM12/21/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

“…The standard 3.5 kHz is really too high for my 6.5 inch midrange.   …”

If you start the demo “Audiolense XO” mode, you can use “Setup/Edit Speaker Configuration/Cross Over Configuration” to change the number of speakers as well as change the XO frequencies.  You can also change the width of the XO on the “Speakers” tab of this popup form.

When you select “New Measurement”, it uses your XO selections to generate individual driver frequency ranges.  You can change the default frequency ranges of the sweep for each driver if desired in the “New Measurement” form.

Hope this answered your XO question.

Audiolense User Forum.
http://groups.google.com/group/audiolense?hl=en?hl=en

Kees Huizinga

Dec 21, 2020, 4:17:47 PM12/21/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your comment. I had already seen the possibility to change the crossover frequency, but I did not know that you can apply it in a new measurement. Thanks for the tip.
My concern is adjusting the delays; does this not disturb the measurement and is a measurement with non-reproducible delays also a good starting point?
By the way I measure with a Scarlett 2i2 and an Isemcon EMX-7150 microphone. The problem of two clocks also applies here. Asio4All did not change that.
So my question remains: does entering the correct offset improve the measurement? Or do I have to measure until I get close? The strange thing is that the Woofer is delayed in one measurement and the tweeter in the next.

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 21, 2020, 5:30:22 PM12/21/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

This timing variation is a concern of mine.  It is likely to have a negative influence on the time domain correction, even if the correct delay values are entered manually. The timing of each frequency is likely wrong, and thus, the time domain correction will make things worse … even where it was right in the beginning. If the drift is small, the time domain correction may be effective into the kHz region, which could be enough, but this is really a concern that I want to eliminate. The Dacpro8 is a perfect partner for Audiolense so I am making a serious effort to make the measurement work with it in the loop.

Yes, the demo only works for full range correction. But there is a 3 month satisfaction guarantee on the license purchase. Plenty of time to evaluate and ask for a full refund if things doesn’t turn out the way you want.

Mvh,

Bernt

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 21, 2020, 5:41:16 PM12/21/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Audiolense handles two clocks.

If the streaming is reliable you will in any case get the same differences from measurement to measurement … as long as you use the same sweep duration. If you’re getting different delay values with the same settings, there’s a streaming problem somewhere.

Mvh,

Bernt

Kees Huizinga

Dec 22, 2020, 6:53:10 PM12/22/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi Bernt,
The Dac8pro certainly seems like a good partner for Audiolense. Measuring is a bit of a dilemma for me. I live along a fairly busy road. During the day there is no way to measure and at night my family is not happy with all those sweep noises.
I have two audio systems to try out the demo on. In the attic (an 8 channel diyinhk dac) I managed to get a fairly reliable measurement last night. But only if I place the microphone less than 1 meter away from the speakers. I also had to shorten the measurement time to 3 seconds. (Asio4All is less reliable for me than a measurement for 2 devices, asio out and nme in)
Measurements at more than 1 meter yield useless results.So it seems to be a streaming problem.

Kind regards, Cornelis