Audiolense convolver 1.0 is out

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Oct 5, 2020, 3:03:08 PM10/5/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

It’s time to take the convolver out of the beta stage.

Audiolense convolver 1.0.exe

·         Temporary license included. Works until end of 2020.

·         Added mute memory. Muted on close gives muted on open.

·         Added auto start on standalone.

·         Cleaned up license check and license info in “about”.

·         Added help file to tray menu.

·         Changed to automatic dpi resizing of form.

I will put it up for sale on the web within a few days. There will be a discount for existing users until Christmas.

Mvh,

Bernt

Mitch Barnett

Oct 5, 2020, 6:29:42 PM10/5/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Congrats Bernt!

Audiolense User Forum.
http://groups.google.com/group/audiolense?hl=en?hl=en

David Yost

Oct 5, 2020, 7:41:03 PM10/5/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Berndt!

David Yost

Oct 5, 2020, 7:43:22 PM10/5/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the fat finger.

Love you boys!

Jarle Bergene

Oct 6, 2020, 5:42:51 AM10/6/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi,

Congrats Bernt!
Can you please list all the pros with using this stand alone convolver as opposed to using the J.River convolver?

-Jarle

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Oct 6, 2020, 6:27:21 AM10/6/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jarle,

IMO it gives a better user experience and better lip sync – even if you channel the audio through jriver. Mute with a click and volume up & down by scrolling the mouse on the tray icon etc.

And it provides a direct path if you use external sources.

I use it with jriver and Asio4All and it works pretty well.

Worth trying out, anyway.

Mvh,

Bernt

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 29, 2020, 4:44:46 PM12/29/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Is there some more information as to how it works, when used with both JRiver and external sources?

F.x. if using JRiver I would want JRiver to control the volume, as that is part of the JRiver remote control apps on both android and iPhone.

Also, how to quickly switch filters on your Convolver. One set with TTD for the ultimate sound quality, and one set with minimum phase to ensure lip sync when streaming webTV.

Does the convolver act as a sound card in itself, and why is there a need for Asio4All?

Greetings from Denmark
Johnny

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 30, 2020, 12:31:38 AM12/30/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Johnny,

I’ve responded below.

Mvh,

Bernt

Is there some more information as to how it works, when used with both JRiver and external sources?

[BR:] There is some info in the help file. Available in the convolver program folder and from the menu.

F.x. if using JRiver I would want JRiver to control the volume, as that is part of the JRiver remote control apps on both android and iPhone.

[BR:] The JRiver volume will work as before.

Also, how to quickly switch filters on your Convolver. One set with TTD for the ultimate sound quality, and one set with minimum phase to ensure lip sync when streaming webTV.

[BR:] It’s a simple click, browse, select procedure.

Does the convolver act as a sound card in itself, and why is there a need for Asio4All?

[BR:] Yes. Asio4All is needed with sound cards that doesn’t have an Asio driver. I hope to be able to do something about that in 2021.

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Dec 30, 2020, 3:36:07 PM12/30/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi Bernt,

Thanks.
The help file and the convolver is not really available at the moment, with juicehifi being classified as malicious :-)

For switching filters, please acknowledge that some of us have a need for an easy to use entertainment system. Meaning not just easy for a nerd like me, but also for the rest of the family. My request would be the possibility to bind the filters to hot keys, f.x. F1, F2, F3,... or a way to easily send a command to initiate a filter change. My girlfriend, and her kids, must also be able to easily use the system. For music we never turn on the screen, as we remote control JRiver from our phones. The same goes for locally stored movies, we use the phone as a remote.

Asio4All, my soundcard has an ASIO driver, so that shuld mean I won't need Asio4All.

I will write in another thread as well, about my need for "special" subwoofer setup :-)

Greetings from Denmark
Johnny

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Dec 31, 2020, 4:49:51 AM12/31/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

I have thought of that. The convolver has an option to be context sensitive.

These are the context markers:

        ///////// four context identifiers /////////////////

        public string process; // calling program

        public string sCard = "Not chosen";

        public int usedInputs; // identifier with virtual soundcard

        public bool standAlone; // identifier

And then all settings will be remembered for each context.

So if you e.g play a different format with 6 channels of input instead of 2, the convolver will keep track of both

Its value is currently somewhat limited for me, since I stream everything through jriver, and jriver then always come up as the calling program. If you set up jriver to simply pass through the format, the convolver should be able to differentiate between stereo and 6.1.

This feature will be more useful some time in the future, when I manage to include a wdm audio driver.

What I mostly do is to have a low latency “general purpose” filter loaded most of the time, and if I want to do some critical listening I load a filter with TTD correction.

Omid Mostachfi

Dec 31, 2020, 10:51:14 AM12/31/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

A feature I would find very helpful is an app on my phone to control the convolver:  turn streaming on and off, change the volume, and choose between a couple of filters. I don’t know if others would be interested in this feature, but as it is, I can’t use the convolver all the time because I can’t ask my family members to fiddle with the pc interface when they want to change the volume.

Barry

Dec 31, 2020, 7:52:29 PM12/31/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi all

Recommend signing up to the new Audiolense forum here:

And saying hello in the hello thread.

Johnny Jensen / JJAZ

Jan 2, 2021, 10:19:59 AM1/2/21
to Audiolense User Forum
Context aware is a nice feature, albeit often difficult to ensure it is flexible enough.

JRiver has it as well, and I wanted to use it for switching between a low latency and high latency path, but.. JRiver (and probably also your convolver) does not know the difference between streamed audio from a web browser and video from the same browser, where one need the low latency and the other does not.
Your convolver is probably more advanced in that regard, than JRiver, as it would be able to differentiate between different applications (Spotify, Tidal, Plex, JRiver, Firefox, etc.). But like you, all my audio is streamed through JRiver, and then your convolver has no way of knowing when to change filters.

A hotkey filter changer option, would be a nice addition.

But, I ackowledge that it will always be difficult to make a third party app that caters for "family convenience needs".

I too, would probably use a low latency general purpose as the default, and then load a TTD correction filter when I want the ultimate sound quality. And, the family would always just use the low latency filter, as they don't really care about the last few percent of extra sound quality.

Lots of thoughts, and so many options :-)

Greetings from Denmark
Johnny