Convolution on macOS - AU or VST plugins possible?

DRCuser

Jun 17, 2020, 9:49:37 AM6/17/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Dear Bernt,

Is there any way on macOS to be able to pass macOS audio (Spotify, YouTube etc) through Audiolense convolution?

For example, can Audiolense produce AudioUnit (AU) or VST plugins, like Dirac Live Processor can?

There are macOS apps like Rogue Amoeba SoundSource that can handle AU and VST plugins and then can route audio to USB DAC.

mark specht

Jun 17, 2020, 10:49:45 AM6/17/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
You could use Audiohijack...

Am 17.06.2020 um 15:49 schrieb DRCuser <sean4m...@gmail.com>:

Audiolense User Forum.
http://groups.google.com/group/audiolense?hl=en?hl=en

sean sean

Jun 17, 2020, 10:52:28 AM6/17/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Hi, that's an app by the same company that mostly does the same thing...

Same question applies though - would need AU or VST plugin on macOS

Without that, I don't see how Audiohijack would work with Audiolense for Spotify, YouTube etc, as there is no Audiolense macOS Convolver

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Audiolense User Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/audiolense/EF63E7E2-3822-4028-AE4B-B87F40D2EF1E%40googlemail.com.

mark specht

Jun 17, 2020, 11:13:07 AM6/17/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Haven’t tried, but: Define Jriver and it’s convolver as the Output Device in Loopback, route this to your DAC. Then define Loopback as the ouput device in Audiohijack.

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Jun 18, 2020, 2:51:55 AM6/18/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

I believe there are several who uses Audiolense with a Mac, I don't have any insight in the details.

Mvh,

Bernt

DRCuser

Jun 18, 2020, 3:10:19 AM6/18/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Thanks Bernt but my original question is asking about AU or VST plugins

Is it something you could consider for Audiolense? Or not going to be on your roadmap

This would open up many simpler options on macOS, instead of a standalone convolver

Dirac Live Processor works with AU plugins and makes it easy to route audio

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 2:51:55 PM UTC+8, BerntR wrote:

I believe there are several who uses Audiolense with a Mac, I don't have any insight in the details.

Mvh,

Bernt

Is there any way on macOS to be able to pass macOS audio (Spotify, YouTube etc) through Audiolense convolution?

For example, can Audiolense produce AudioUnit (AU) or VST plugins, like Dirac Live Processor can?

There are macOS apps like Rogue Amoeba SoundSource that can handle AU and VST plugins and then can route audio to USB DAC.

Audiolense User Forum.
http://groups.google.com/group/audiolense?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Audiolense User Forum" group.

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Jun 18, 2020, 3:27:45 AM6/18/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

A VST plugin is not in the plans, but there are many 3rd party vst convolver plugins available.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Audiolense User Forum" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/audiolense/cfdd3bf9-9b0e-4b83-973b-c03c66d6b76ao%40googlegroups.com.

DRCuser

Jun 19, 2020, 1:04:52 AM6/19/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Thanks Bernt

Can anyone share 3rd party VST convolver plugin for macOS

DRCuser

Jun 19, 2020, 1:05:29 AM6/19/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Aside from the JRIver method, I don't use JRiver

Eddie Vizsla

Jun 21, 2020, 4:24:08 AM6/21/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi,

Could you let me know how you use "the JRiver method" with the mac OS ?

I use JRiver on a windows based computer as a method of passing audio through from another program with the use of the WDM driver (Windows Driver Model) in JRiver. WDM is not an option is not part of the mac version of JRiver or am I missing something?

I am very keen to hear how to use the filters I have created with AL on my mac based system. At the moment I can use the mac version of JRiver to play back music stored on my server through JRiver but nothing else.

If someone knows a mac based convolver that will host AL filters and provides 2 channels in with 8 channels out (4 way system) I would love to hear about it. As I mentioned above, I can do it with a windows based computer using JRiver but I don't know how to achieve it on the macOS ?

Regards
Mark

DRCuser

Jun 21, 2020, 7:47:22 AM6/21/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi,

I see you replied to my message but I don't use JRiver.

I'm asking the same question - advice on a 3rd party convolver plugin for macOS

I really don't want to go back to JRiver after enjoying Roon now.

I'm looking for a macOS convolver for Spotify, YouTube etc

Hoping somebody can advise

Eddie Vizsla

Jun 21, 2020, 7:59:22 AM6/21/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi,

My question was towards Mark Specht (or anyone else who knows the answer). Mark's screen shots look like he is using JRiver on a mac to host the filters from AL and using audio-hijack to send spotify (or similar) to the input of JRiver.

Were I am confused is I didn't think JRiver in mac allowed for an input. I know the windows version has this functionality but I didn't think the mac version did ? It will be great if it does ? It would be great if someone can help clear this for me.

I am fairly new to AL so still have a lot to learn.

Regards
Mark

mark specht

Jun 21, 2020, 9:46:21 AM6/21/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eddi,

I don‘t use it this way, I use Roon/Tidal/Qobuz on my Mac - and its convolution engine. That works for sure.

I happen to have Audiohijack installed on my Mac but I haven't tried yet if it‘s working the way on my screenshots.

Will try asap.
Mark

Am 21.06.2020 um 13:59 schrieb Eddie Vizsla <morr...@tpg.com.au>:

Audiolense User Forum.
http://groups.google.com/group/audiolense?hl=en?hl=en

Eddie Vizsla

Jun 21, 2020, 6:24:24 PM6/21/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi Mark,

Thanks I will be keen to hear if it works.

As per DCusers original post I would also be keen to hear of any convolver options for mac that work with AL filters for a 4 way system.

Regards
Mark
To unsubscribe, send email to audio...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Audiolense User Forum" group.

Bob Stern

Jun 21, 2020, 8:25:29 PM6/21/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Two AU plugins that have been favorably mentioned on AudiophileStyle.com are:

Liquid Sonics Reverberate Core, 2 channels, $40, not updated in 3 years but apparently still functional:
https://www.liquidsonics.com/software/reverberate-core/

The product actually recommended is SIR2, but it’s been replaced by these two products:

SIR3, 2 channels, €150 or $190 less 25% with online coupon:
https://www.siraudiotools.com/SIR3.php

SIR ButterFLY, 16 channels, price upon request:
https://www.siraudiotools.com/Butterfly.php

Bob

carl marchetto

Jun 21, 2020, 8:31:42 PM6/21/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bob
Bruno

Audiolense User Forum.
http://groups.google.com/group/audiolense?hl=en?hl=en

DRCuser

Jun 21, 2020, 8:54:36 PM6/21/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Thanks Bob!

Can Audiolense produce a low latency filter option?

Obviously wouldn't be as correct as 65k/130k tap option but would be useful for YouTube/Netflix etc

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Jun 22, 2020, 5:18:16 AM6/22/20
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Yes,

And if you find a zero latency convolver you can also use long filters. But you will have to settle for minimum phase crossovers and frequency correction. That should get you inside 10 ms.

Mvh,

Bernt

Jun 22, 2020, 2:00:52 PM6/22/20
to Audiolense User Forum
I use Audiolense filters with Jriver's convolution to watch Netflix in multi-channel. When using Minphase crossovers and target and disabling Time domain correction, latency is not an issue for me even with 132k tap filter. This is on Windows.

Reverberate Core is a very good plugin for zero-latency convolution, I have used it too and would be a good option for Mac with Soundsource. Mac does not support multi-channel for Netflix but, if yo wanted a multi-channel setup with zero latency in Mac or Windows, I will also recommend the meta-plugin. ReverberateCore + Meta-Plugin is great for multi-channel zero latency convolution and yo can go crazy with routing.

DRCuser

Jun 23, 2020, 3:06:10 AM6/23/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Thanks Bernt and get_mmk

Very useful info for (the many) macOS user out there

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Audiolense User Forum" group.

Christian Kuntze

Jun 23, 2020, 3:31:58 AM6/23/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi

i am using Fogconvolver. There is a VST and AU Plugin available!

But you can use many other reverbaration plugins. just take care of the count of possible taps!

Greetings

Christian

DRCuser

Jun 24, 2020, 10:42:53 PM6/24/20
to Audiolense User Forum
Thanks for this additional option!

I will try some of these and report back.

Now when someone asks Bernt about macOS convolvers, at least there is a thread he can point to with a few options.

DRCuser

Jan 10, 2021, 6:39:18 AM1/10/21
to Audiolense User Forum
Hi again

What is the format of filters required by Audiolense that can work with Fogconlver?

And does it worth with more than 2-channels convolution? Or limited to 2-channels only?

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Jan 11, 2021, 4:44:05 PM1/11/21
to audio...@googlegroups.com

You would have to consult the Fogconvolver for accepted formats.

Audiolense outputs waveformextensible (wav) in 32 or 64 bit float, mono wav and binary files. And you can specify the filter length.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Audiolense User Forum" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/audiolense/be6fdfe5-46ef-4759-adc1-363233233012n%40googlegroups.com.

Øystein

Jan 19, 2021, 4:16:08 PM1/19/21
to Audiolense User Forum
So, these convolvers are able to make a VST-plugin out of the Audiolense correction file?

Not really beeing into the studio gear but isnt a soundcard like the Universal Audio Apollo able to host VST-plugins and to work in stand alone mode? Could this route be the answer to having a "black box" with convolution without a PC/Mac attached?

Øystein

Bernt Rønningsbakk

Jan 19, 2021, 8:29:09 PM1/19/21
to audio...@googlegroups.com

Close, but not quite there. These convolvers come in the form of VST plugins. And some of them … maybe all of them … can use filters generated from Audiolense.  Some of them are only stereo … if you have more than two speakers or intend to use digital crossovers you need a multichannel convolver, and ideally one that  can read the config files that Audiolense generates. JRiver works on Mac, and so does ROON as well. Both have a plug & play interface (almost) with Audiolense.

Mvh,

Bernt

sean sean

Jan 19, 2021, 9:36:02 PM1/19/21
to audio...@googlegroups.com
JRiver and Roon and HQPlayer on macOS work great for music only.

But as per opening post, these don't do video well on macOS (using all system sounds as input).

There is good discussion on the new AV Nirvana forum.

Better to continue there.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Audiolense User Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/audiolense/01f501d6eecb%24a5811400%24f0833c00%24%40lyse.net.