Upcoming talks

Glen Ogilvie

Jul 18, 2018, 5:02:38 PM7/18/18
to Aucklug
Hi,

As discussed last meeting, we have a couple of upcoming talks planned.
  • Talk on Security and Linux.. hardening, etc.
  • Talk on time series databases (graphite, influxdb and elasticsearch) - Glen
  • Talk on code migration from SVN to git using Linux tools - Hugo
  • Talk about the new Ubuntu - Xiaoqian

Anyone got topics they would be willing to talk about, or want to hear about, to add to this list?

Anyone wanting to run a hands on tutorial / lab, these tend to be really interesting as well.

I've been thinking about running another firewall lab.

Is there any interest for longer labs that cost money?  - Say labs that cost $200 - 250 for a half day lab, examples might be:

  • understanding docker by writing your own docker engine in python
  • writing selinux rules to protect your app
  • writing a usb driver
  • bash programming

The money would go to the presenter for their effort on creating the content, with a minimum of 5 people attending, plus maybe a bit for a venue if needed.

Cheers

Glen

Christian Gagneraud

Jul 22, 2018, 3:51:41 AM7/22/18
to auc...@googlegroups.com
On 19 July 2018 at 09:02, Glen Ogilvie <ne...@linuxsolutions.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As discussed last meeting, we have a couple of upcoming talks planned.
>
> Talk on Security and Linux.. hardening, etc.
> Talk on time series databases (graphite, influxdb and elasticsearch) - Glen

Looking forward that one, if it is something a bit comprehensive, eg
what are the open sources tools available, what are they
advantages/use cases, best practice, dos and donts, ... Client side
tools, scripting, avail graphical interfaces, ...
As well, I found myself being happy with InfluxDB+Grafana until we
started to experience server overload and UI slowness, certainly due
to bad "measurement" organisation. So +1 for something that would
cover "efficiency" and "optimisation" too.

> Talk on code migration from SVN to git using Linux tools - Hugo
> Talk about the new Ubuntu - Xiaoqian
>
> Anyone got topics they would be willing to talk about, or want to hear
> about, to add to this list?
>
> Anyone wanting to run a hands on tutorial / lab, these tend to be really
> interesting as well.
>
> I've been thinking about running another firewall lab.
>
> Is there any interest for longer labs that cost money? - Say labs that cost
> $200 - 250 for a half day lab, examples might be:
>
> understanding docker by writing your own docker engine in python

From scratch or using docker-py? ;)
Scripting docker with python is lot of fun indeed...

> writing selinux rules to protect your app
> writing a usb driver
> bash programming
>
> The money would go to the presenter for their effort on creating the
> content, with a minimum of 5 people attending, plus maybe a bit for a venue
> if needed.

I think it is a good idea, not sure about the price tho.
"Professional" people might not mind to spend 200/250 $, hobbyist and
hackers might find it a bit expensive...

+1 for the initiative.

Chris