Anyone want to be a speaker for the next meetup?

Glen Ogilvie

Sep 19, 2016, 2:56:45 AM9/19/16
to AuckLUG
Hi,

Anyone keen to be a speaker for the next meetup.. We've not had much meetups this year, because no-one has
put their hand up to talk.  I'm looking for people to present something.

Also, a Welcome to Nicole, Jun and Dean who have recently joined the Aucklug mailing list.

Regards
Glen Ogilvie

Kevin McCormick

Sep 19, 2016, 9:23:11 PM9/19/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com
An Angel Eco-Educational Reconditioned PC is a Scheme that Benefits
Kids of Disadvantaged Families that Attend Base Decile West Auckland
Primary Schools that Can’t Afford $400 for a New ChromeBook at No Cost
to the Schools!

Giving the 4 – 11 Year old Boy or Girl a Boost in 2016 & Beyond....

An Angel Eco-Educational Reconditioned PC has No Windows Spyware & is
a Virus-Proof PC for just $99.96 & Features Education Specific
Applications such as - TuxMath, TuxPaint, TuxType & GCompris, on an
eNvironmentally responsible & Eco Friendly Reconditioned PC. ( Nb.
Eco being Abbreviated & intentionally Ambiguous Meaning Both
Economical & Ecological! )

For Computer Literacy Skills

Pros & Cons Desktop PC Vs ChromeBook
Requirements internet w/ a Desktop is Optional Vs But w/ a
ChromeBook.is NECESSARY. Also 3G Data is Considerably More eXpensive
than Std Fixed Line ADSL BroadBand
Thief Resistant Desktop PC Wins
Portability the ChromeBook Wins
Monitoring the Child's Activity w/ a ChromeBook is More Challenging
GB Storage Desktop has 10X More & ChromeBook isn’t Upgradable & is More Fragile!
Costs <$100 Vs $400

Of Course True Portability is just a USB Flash Drive away ( in Fact
Angel Eco-Educational Reconditioned PC OS Can Run from a USB Flash Dr
Plugged into Most any Host PC meaning they have True Portability to
their Data & Even More Mobile than Any Smart Phone! )

is Linux as Android is, like Raspberry Pi is, as is also ChromeOS &
Even Mac OS X is Based on a BSD Linux Kernel. Linux is the Std
Operating System at Canterbury & Massey Universities & is Growing, so
Don’t be afraid!
It’s Free Open Source, No M$ Activation & Licensing issues or
Proprietary Apple Mac Hardware & Software. It’s an OS for the People
:) really!

It is a Work around Alternative Solution to a Serious Socio-Economic
Problem Too Compelling to deny.

Altan Aksoy

Sep 19, 2016, 11:05:46 PM9/19/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Although I don't have anything polished to share currently. I would be interested to talk in the future.

What are people interested in learning/listening to ?

Regards,

Altan

(New to aucklug)

Kind Regards,

Altan Aksoy
________________________________
Sep 20, 2016, 6:27:01 AM9/20/16
to AuckLUG
Hi Chris,

Thank you for offering to do a talk sometime.  Just let me know when is good for you and we can make it happen!

We usually meet at OSS's offices (162 Grafton Road, Auckland), on the first working day of the month, so next meeting tentatively Monday October 3rd, at 7 - 9pm
This day is flexible, if it suits a speaker for it to be a different day.

Any one of the topics you have talked about before would be of interest to the group.
The talk on,

- Run your own Continous Integration system with Gitlab CI runner
I expect would have a large audience appeal.

Also, a repeat of your WellyLug talk would also be interesting I think to many.
- Scripting your C++/Qt app with JavaScript (WellyLug, NZ)

Please let me know when you might be free to do a talk, and if you would like to share the time slot (2 hours) with another talk, or we can just have some social time for people to mix.

We've had a bit of a quite period for the last few months, although Bruce has just organized an intro session,
http://www.meetup.com/AuckLUG/events/234210989/

Meetings are posted on meetup.com, and if we can, on the mailing list as well.

The meetup group has 500 members, and this google group has about 350 subscribers, so Aucklug has a large range of interests.

Regards
Glen Ogilvie

Glen Ogilvie

Sep 20, 2016, 6:39:35 AM9/20/16
to AuckLUG, ad...@altan.me
Hi Altan,

Thank you for offering to do a talk in the future sometime.  People putting there hand up like you help the group be a community and give the Aucklug group a reason to meet.

Generally most talks fill up.   Aucklug is a large group, so we have a range of different people come to different meetups.   We have meetups ranging from beginner sessions, desktop usage, etc, to
sessions focused at full time system admins and sessions focused at developers, hardware hackers and everything in between.

So, picking something your interested in, write up a brief description of it, and let me know.
If looking for a topic, here are some ideas, that people were interested in.

* Voice recognition
* Linux on non-intel
* Samba server setup, printer sharing.
* Search engines
* Virtualisation technologies
* What is open source, what is Linux... what is the focus, who makes it, why.
* Comparison between Linux and Windows...   itunes, games, other products and websites like tvnz on demand, quickflicks.
* Understanding Wifi issues, signal strength, speed, security.
* Open Office/ LibreOffice tips and tricks.
* Web browser power user howto.  Addon's, spam filters, web developer plugin, etc
* Interesting projects meeting, 10 minute per speaker.
* Cgroups
* SELinux
* Red Hat Certification, Linux Professional Institute
* Docker
* Networking
* Programming topics
* Talks about how businesses use Linux
* Talks about how Linux is used
* Talks about lessons learned and solutions using Linux
* Talks about how to contribute to open source projects

Regards
Glen Ogilvie

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/aucklug.

Chris Gagneraud

Sep 20, 2016, 7:43:07 AM9/20/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com
On 20 September 2016 at 22:27, Glen Ogilvie <glen.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thank you for offering to do a talk sometime. Just let me know when is good
> for you and we can make it happen!
>
> We usually meet at OSS's offices (162 Grafton Road, Auckland), on the first
> working day of the month, so next meeting tentatively Monday October 3rd, at
> 7 - 9pm
> This day is flexible, if it suits a speaker for it to be a different day.
>
> Any one of the topics you have talked about before would be of interest to
> the group.
> The talk on,

Hi Glen,

> - Run your own Continous Integration system with Gitlab CI runner
> I expect would have a large audience appeal.

That sounds good. If we go for this one, the focus would be on setting
up and running a Linux/MacOSX/Windows CI system for an Open Source
Qt/C++ project. With an quick introduction about other solutions and
why I choose Gitlab for the CI and Qbs for the build system.
Not sure i can make it last 2 hours tho, have to think about this.

> Also, a repeat of your WellyLug talk would also be interesting I think to
> many.
> - Scripting your C++/Qt app with JavaScript (WellyLug, NZ)
>
> Please let me know when you might be free to do a talk, and if you would
> like to share the time slot (2 hours) with another talk, or we can just have
> some social time for people to mix.

Maybe a split would be good. I can make it for Monday the 3rd of
October or another week day if you or the other speaker prefer.

Chris
>> > email to aucklug+u...@googlegroups.com.
>> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/aucklug.

Richard Leckinger

Sep 20, 2016, 6:54:28 PM9/20/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Run your own Continous Integration system with Gitlab CI runner

I too expect it would have audience appeal.

--
All of man’s troubles come from not knowing how to sit still, alone in a
room.

DL Neil

Sep 20, 2016, 7:28:11 PM9/20/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com
A suggested topic:-

from a training perspective, I would like to learn about using (some of)
Linux' many multimedia facilities to build demo, training, and testing
resources.

- video from 'movie camera', web-cam, screen recorder, etc
- capturing the spoken word and other sounds from 'a recording device',
direct to PC, clips from 'the web'
- how to edit and combine such inputs
- scripting/wire-frames and other planning and management techniques
- methods and manner of delivery both synchronously and asynchronously,
in-person and remotely
- other stuff I have yet to realise is important...

From a more general perspective, one of the key barriers to the take-up
of a FLOSS project is showing potential users how the tool will solve
(their) problems, then how to make use thereof, and later, its advanced
features.

The need is quickly confirmed by the quantity of (most) so-called
'tutorials' cluttering YouTube; and equally-rapidly established by
evaluating their (dismal) quality and efficacy...

--
Regards,
=dn

Chris Gagneraud

Sep 26, 2016, 6:32:05 PM9/26/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com
On 20 September 2016 at 22:27, Glen Ogilvie <glen.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thank you for offering to do a talk sometime. Just let me know when is good
> for you and we can make it happen!
>
> We usually meet at OSS's offices (162 Grafton Road, Auckland), on the first
> working day of the month, so next meeting tentatively Monday October 3rd, at
> 7 - 9pm
> This day is flexible, if it suits a speaker for it to be a different day.

Hi Glen,

Is the talk session still scheduled? I would like to know sooner
rather than later as I will be away this week-end for 3 days with no
internet connectivity.
I'm still in for the Gitlab CI talk. I have started writing down a
couple of things and i'm confident i can get something ready for
Monday evening.
If you prefer to re-schedule I'm fine with this too.

Let me know.

Chris
>> > email to aucklug+u...@googlegroups.com.
>> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/aucklug.

Chris Gagneraud

Sep 29, 2016, 6:46:49 AM9/29/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com
On 27 September 2016 at 11:32, Chris Gagneraud <chg...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 20 September 2016 at 22:27, Glen Ogilvie <glen.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Thank you for offering to do a talk sometime. Just let me know when is good
>> for you and we can make it happen!
>>
>> We usually meet at OSS's offices (162 Grafton Road, Auckland), on the first
>> working day of the month, so next meeting tentatively Monday October 3rd, at
>> 7 - 9pm
>> This day is flexible, if it suits a speaker for it to be a different day.
>
> Hi Glen,
>
> Is the talk session still scheduled? I would like to know sooner
> rather than later as I will be away this week-end for 3 days with no
> internet connectivity.

Sorry for short notice, but i'm actually away for 4 days, Monday
included, and i don't have everything ready right now. So Hopefully we
can make it happen another day, maybe in a week or two.

Chris

Glen Ogilvie

Sep 29, 2016, 6:53:09 PM9/29/16
to Aucklug
Hi Chris,

No worries, I've not scheduled it yet, party because I've been busy, and partly because I may also be in Wellington next week, so may not be
able to to host it at OSS, if I am away.

Lets aim for a time you are available.   Would 17/10/16 be a good date for you?

Glen

Chris Gagneraud

Oct 3, 2016, 10:16:05 PM10/3/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com
On 30 September 2016 at 11:53, Glen Ogilvie <ne...@linuxsolutions.co.nz> wrote:
Hi Chris,

No worries, I've not scheduled it yet, party because I've been busy, and partly because I may also be in Wellington next week, so may not be
able to to host it at OSS, if I am away.

Lets aim for a time you are available.   Would 17/10/16 be a good date for you?

Was doing some Bamboo admin here, which reminded me I had to answer your email about Gitlab talk (I wish I could switch our CI to Gitlab here at work! ;)).

So yes, Monday 17/10/16 suits me.

Chris

Chris Gagneraud

Oct 16, 2016, 2:39:37 AM10/16/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com
On 4 October 2016 at 15:16, Chris Gagneraud <chg...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 30 September 2016 at 11:53, Glen Ogilvie <ne...@linuxsolutions.co.nz>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> No worries, I've not scheduled it yet, party because I've been busy, and
>> partly because I may also be in Wellington next week, so may not be
>> able to to host it at OSS, if I am away.
>>
>> Lets aim for a time you are available. Would 17/10/16 be a good date for
>> you?
>

> Was doing some Bamboo admin here, which reminded me I had to answer your
> email about Gitlab talk (I wish I could switch our CI to Gitlab here at
> work! ;)).
>
> So yes, Monday 17/10/16 suits me.

Hi Glen,

Will try to arrive a little bit earlier, like 6:45 if doors are opened!

Any special information i need to know to access the building? It's my
first time at AuckLUG.

Chris

>>> --

Chris Gagneraud

Oct 16, 2016, 10:16:37 PM10/16/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com
On 16 October 2016 at 19:39, Chris Gagneraud <chg...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 4 October 2016 at 15:16, Chris Gagneraud <chg...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> So yes, Monday 17/10/16 suits me.
>
> Hi Glen,
>
> Will try to arrive a little bit earlier, like 6:45 if doors are opened!
>
> Any special information i need to know to access the building? It's my
> first time at AuckLUG.

Can anyone confirm this is still scheduled? Who's planning to come?

Thx,
Chris

Chris Gagneraud

Oct 17, 2016, 12:50:35 AM10/17/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com

Not sure if I should assume it's scheduled or cancelled since I haven't heard anything from anyone. Will head up in 30 minutes. Please let me know.
0279510006.

Chris

Glen Ogilvie

Oct 17, 2016, 1:32:32 AM10/17/16
to auc...@googlegroups.com

The meeting is not yet scheduled.   So no meeting tonight.

Glen.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android