WordPress -- blog.atxhackerspace.org

Andrew Harris

Mar 27, 2013, 7:53:00 PM3/27/13
to atxhs-ne...@googlegroups.com
Alright, our current blog is a little old, and I want to see it replaced by something that is:

1.) Up to date
2.) Not multisite
3.) On its own vhost (no wildcards!)

So we can either do an in-place upgrade and demultisitening, or we can move it to a new vhost with a fresh wordpress, do an XML dump/import and get it set up the same way as before. I'm probably going to do the latter anyway for staging purposes (have the vhost listen on a different ip), and there seem to be no real issues after performing this procedure on everhack, so that's the direction I'm thinking of going right now.

I also recommend the removal of these two plugins:

1.) All-In-One SEO Pack

Maybe I just don't know anything about SEO, but I fail to see the benefit of these plugins. If our site has relevant content that people are searching for (you know, like hackerspaces in Austin), then won't people happen across our site? That said, if anyone else feels that an SEO plugin is necessary, I still have at least one other to recommend before this plugin -- All-In-One is somewhat known to cause load issues.

2.) WordPress Stats

There's no reason why we can't offload this to Google Analytics, who do this sort of thing better anyway.

Discuss.