I want to engrave a logo

david.78737

Apr 15, 2020, 7:53:43 PM4/15/20
to ATXHS Discuss
 I folks

I have a sculpted shape and I want to carve or etch a logo on its convex contoured surface.  Also some text. The text is small like 6 pts.

There are things I might try if I had access to the hackerspace but that's not an option.  Laser etching might be an option.  Basically a shallow depression would work like 8 to 10 thousandths.  Accuracy would be nice with clean edges?

The model is primed wood that will be cast in polyurethane.  I could let someone explore with the polyurethane castings.  Lasers would roughen up the surface which would be fine.

Engraving is another option.

This Covid-19 thing is definitely making things more difficult.

I would welcome someone pointing me in the right direction.  Thanks

David Richardson

Charles Wyble

Apr 15, 2020, 9:54:01 PM4/15/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
I have a laser cutter in my garage. Glowforge (the cheaper one).

I would be happy to discuss (off list ) renting time on it to anyone who needs it. Would need to follow all standard safety guidelines for the laser , also practice social distancing and wearing a mask and gloves. So far we’ve avoided an infection here, we would like to maintain that.

Not looking to make a profit necessarily , mostly want to recover power cost and of course tube usage and opportunity cost (our business uses it pretty heavily).