Moving ATXHS lists to Discourse!

Kye Flannery

Jun 19, 2020, 2:41:51 PM6/19/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com, ATXHS Directors, atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Hackers,
Thanks for being part of the ATXHS community. We hope you and yours are well and staying safe.

This is a time for celebration -- as we've been talking about for some time, with help from Elrod, Flip, the Loftus-Mercers and many others, we've successfully transitioned our membership list into a Discourse forum. Yo.ATXHS.org provides a board with topic areas for posting different kinds of information -- I see it as having multiple break-out rooms and topic areas, rather than one huge meeting hall with a giant microphone, like the member list -- and Discourse as a platform is structured to emphasize kindness and utility in community conversations.

Please visit yo.atxhs.org and join our community forum!

If you're a paying member, join hax0r group for members-only updates or the link to join Skedda and get back into the workshop. If you're a community member but not an ATXHS member, or if you're waiting to become an ATXHS member, request to join hax0rish or Members2b* to be part of the conversation.
If you want to help out as a moderator, let us know!
If you have trouble registering or navigating Discourse, email reo...@atxhs.org for help.

Important announcements and updates will continue to come via email, as Mailchimp is working really well for us.

This is an important moment of growth for the space, and we're proud of it -- please do contribute to the success of this community conversation by adding articles of interest, introducing yourself under the "Maker Talk" heading, and getting involved in the conversations in your areas of interest.

ATXHS member meetings remain the 1st Weds of each month via Zoom (announced on Discourse) and board meetings are weekly. ATXHS Board meetings are open to members if people want to sit in, since we need to keep them tight timewise, members don't typically offer speaking contributions to board meetings unless invited. You are welcome to attend any of these, or our Tuesday night community nights via Zoom (also announced in advance via Discourse).

These two lists, atxhs-members and atxhs-discuss, are being moved to moderated status this evening and will eventually be deprecated, please join yo.atxhs.org to keep up on Hackerspace news and to take part in community conversations. We're excited for this new chapter in ATXHS community life.

Happy hacking!
Kye

*Members2b: We are discussing and planning out updated on-boarding and orientation processes for new members during Covid. Our hope is to have that set up for new members in 2-3 weeks.

--
Kye Flannery
ATXHS Executive Director

ATX Hackerspace
9701 Dessau Rd #304
Austin, TX 78754

Have compassion for everyone you meet, even if they don't want it. What seems conceit, bad manners, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.  —Miller Williams