COVID19 PPE and Austin..Problem solvers

John Marshall

Mar 21, 2020, 9:13:55 PM3/21/20
to ATXHS Discuss
Well ..Doctors being doctors...everybody is talking and nobody is listening. You can see I posted this (below) in the American College of Emergency Physician Forums 4 days ago.  Please look it over and if someone in our group has a relatively low profile NEW P100 mask to lend Dr. Greg Patterson who works in the Seton Williamson ED with me I'd appreciate it.  Why him you ask?....he does not want to get quarantined and miss the birth of his kid within the month and he's exposed every day like me.  Nobody nationally is taking my advice and my group can no longer source these (diy/construction/painting) half masks.  I gave my last one to my boss who's contaminated it before I realized Greg's plight. If you know a construction company or janitorial supply place that might hold a few for my docs to purchase that would be great.

I wear on every initial contact and physical exam
Wash my hands carefully
See the pt
Remove in a safer area
Then clean the interior with a germicidal wipe while before putting back on for the next patient or procedure.
Every time I reuse this mask it saves one more n95 for my housekeeper, tech, or nurse....I need all these folks they all contribute to hospital capacity

We have passed the point of absurdity with government recommendations they are literally suggesting bandanas (Crip or Blood I guess is the only choice)
"HCP use of homemade masks:
In settings where facemasks are not available, HCP might use homemade masks (e.g., bandana, scarf) for care of patients with COVID-19 as a last resort. However, homemade masks are not considered PPE, since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option. Homemade masks should ideally be used in combination with a face shield that covers the entire front (that extends to the chin or below) and sides of the face."

SO please read my suggestion and give some of you creative time to helping some doctor or nurse you neve met
Mar 17, 2020 11:36 AM
John B Marshall, MD
I need a bit more durability if I need to use a mask repeatedly so I have elected to use my P100 rated half-mask it has a much better seal as well.  Good news is you can use one too

www.homedepot.com/b/Safety-Equipment-Respirator-Masks/...

Just make sure you have checked to make sure it has the NIOSH cert on the cartridges...you can also check for a seal by covering the inhalation ports and if it sticks down to your face I'm more comfortable with that than the fit test I received in the department.

Hope this helps our community !!! also if you have a satellite testing center that IS NOT directly connected to a hospital I'm trying to flatten the curve by listing them on www.covidcabana.com.

Obligatory CDC Citation

www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/...

NIOSH regulations and explanations

Subpart K-Non-Powered Air-Purifying Particulate Respirators

§84.170   Non-powered air-purifying particulate respirators; description.

(a) Non-powered air-purifying particulate respirators utilize the wearer's negative inhalation pressure to draw the ambient air through the air-purifying filter elements (filters) to remove particulates from the ambient air. They are designed for use as respiratory protection against atmospheres with particulate contaminants (e.g., dusts, fumes, mists) that are not immediately dangerous to life or health and that contain adequate oxygen to support life.

(b) Non-powered air-purifying particulate respirators are classified into three series, N-, R-, and P-series. The N-series filters are restricted to use in those workplaces free of oil aerosols. The R- and P-series filters are intended for removal of any particulate that includes oil-based liquid particulates.

(c) Non-powered air-purifying particulate respirators are classified according to the efficiency level of the filter(s) as tested according to the requirements of this part.

(1) N100, R100, and P100 filters shall demonstrate a minimum efficiency level of 99.97 percent.

(2) N99, R99, and P99 filters shall demonstrate a minimum efficiency level of 99 percent.

(3) N95, R95, and P95 filters shall demonstrate a minimum efficiency level of 95 percent.

------------------------------
John Marshall MD
Texas College of Emergency Physicians
TX

Joe Perch

Mar 21, 2020, 9:34:53 PM3/21/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
I have one of these I bought to do woodworking at the ATXHS but never got a chance to use it.

I have one set of these to go with it:

If this would be useful, I would be willing to part with it.

Joe Perch

John Marshall

Mar 21, 2020, 10:01:19 PM3/21/20
to ATXHS Discuss
Awesome...he's thankful....he will email you....!!