CNC & access to computer to generate g code

david.78737

May 13, 2020, 4:33:16 PM5/13/20
to ATXHS Discuss
I'm aware that HS folks are making PPE.  I posed a question re access to computer in the lounge to generate g code for the big CNC.  As far as I know this was going to be discussed at a board meeting or other powers that be maybe tonight?

I would welcome an update perhaps tomorrow.  I'd like to use the equipment and the Shark is disassembled still.

Thanks

David

Danny Miller

May 13, 2020, 4:41:06 PM5/13/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
The lounge computer is available to generate G-code (for any CNC).  However, there may still be a problem with its version being out of date if you load from a project file generated with a later version.

Danny

Jim Fitz

May 13, 2020, 4:41:44 PM5/13/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
I also need access to the big CNC, I am not needing access to the G-Code computer as I can generate my own G-Code for the Linux CNC.  I need late day access into the night, I almost never ran into people at the times I use the CNC.  I literally walk in the back door use the CNC and walk back out the back door. When will this be possible so I can get back to work?
Thanks,
Jim

David Richardson

May 13, 2020, 6:36:50 PM5/13/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
What files work best with the version in the lounge. DXF?  SVG?

I’m assuming that importing dxf will export a TAP or other file, Linux I think?
David

Adam Mata

May 13, 2020, 6:38:28 PM5/13/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
I've always used svg with aspire or vectric. Havent had a problem.

Joe N

May 13, 2020, 6:42:53 PM5/13/20
to ATXHS Discuss
You can import a pdf, adobe illustrator, photoshop, dxf, dwg, and svg files into vcarve.

David Richardson

May 13, 2020, 6:45:01 PM5/13/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

Adam Mata

May 13, 2020, 6:48:03 PM5/13/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

David Richardson

May 13, 2020, 11:07:38 PM5/13/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

Valerie Grace

May 14, 2020, 8:59:11 AM5/14/20
to ATXHS Discuss
Hey guys,

Our board meeting last night was nearly 4 hours, so didn't have time to look at this thread last night.  Updates to come late tonight or tomorrow.  We decided a reservation on the CNC calendar also means you have access to the lounge computer with Vcarve.  There isn't a lot happening with PPE assembly at the moment, so that area should be pretty empty.  If we find that changes, we can look at adjustments to that area to ensure safety/distancing if needed.  My understanding is the Shark CNC is still in the process of moving over to the other spot right?  Joe and David, I know y'all were working on that, just want to make sure we're on the same page with the status.  Once it's further spaced from the large CNC, our intention is to add another slot on the calendar for it.  At that point, if both CNCs were booked at the same time, members would just need to coordinate with each other on just the lounge computer and be sure to sanitize in between.

Valerie Grace Wilmot
Director of Administration

David Richardson

May 14, 2020, 9:59:28 AM5/14/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Update re Shark and CNC

Joe is to busy this week to address needed upgrades (the 220 v circuit) THIS week but promises next week for that task.  But he indicated he would put the Shark back together ASAP.  That is more mechanical than electronic I believe.

The Shark computer software is capable of generating g code for the Shark and driving the Shark.  Unfortunately the big CNC computer does not have the same capabilities hence the need to access the lounge computer.  I am not up to speed as to why these computers were configured that way but there you go.  I think it's been a budget thing but I'd invite the board to explore putting all CNC related software adjacent to the CNC machines.

The Shark HAS been moved to it's future (now present) location.  But it is not operational until Joe works his magic.  The 220 v line and installation of the RFD spindle will come later when all the preliminary steps are complete.  The board can hold off creating a separate slot for the Shark in the schedule until that happens.

My gratitude to the board for addressing this.

David

Valerie Grace

May 14, 2020, 4:42:43 PM5/14/20
to ATXHS Discuss
Thanks for the update David!  We'll wait for the green light on that.

Re: software on the large CNC computer, I do believe we had this budgeted in with the computer upgrade vote from the beginning of the year.  That project got slowed down, but maybe we can pick that up again soon to finish it out.  I'll put it on the agenda for our board meeting next week.  In the meantime though, we'll consider a booking on the large CNC to include access to the lounge Vcarve computer.

Valerie Grace Wilmot
Director of Administration

David Richardson

May 14, 2020, 4:47:38 PM5/14/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Eric and I discussed relocating the lounge computer out into the shop today. We’ll get something worked out I’m sure. Adam offered another solution I can get.