Concrete proposals for maker projects

Phillip Kromer

Mar 19, 2020, 6:51:19 PM3/19/20
to ATXHS Discuss
OK I've done a lot of research and have found groups that are working on concrete engineering proposals that can be vetted by health care professionals. The consensus among practitioners is that PPE would have the biggest impact right now.

We have amazing capabilities. We can save lives and bring comfort to a lot of stressed-out practitioners.
But only if we follow a plan.
So for pete's sake don't waste all your filament on something that hasn't passed a design review — and for pete's sake don't waste all your filament until we know which response organization wants it, and can accept it, and that it's their actual most important need

With that off my chest:

The best hub for this is HelpfulEngineering.org — The process of vetting the designs is underway; join the Slack if you have relevant medical expertise and have specific concerns.
I know everyone's rarin' to fire up their printers, but if you actually want to make a dent in the universe we need a team and a plan. It would be a damned shame to use up all your filament on something useless and then get a dire request for help. Here are the concrete steps for this to be a successful endeavor, pursued in parallel:
  1. Engineering specs that have been reviewed by medical experts
  2. Hardened, peer-reviewed designs to meet the specs
  3. Plans for coordinating the manufacturing
  4. A response organization with active interest in receiving those devices
  5. All the boring responsibility stuff: liability, quantities, precautions, schedule, delivery, etc.
The board will handle #5, the boring responsibility stuff; and we can help construct a team for #4 manufacturing coordination. I believe that if the first and second pieces fall into place, some response organizations will take the plunge and then others will reach out, solving #3.

The best contribution y'all can make is to review the engineering specs above and turn them into a community plan

I made an open google drive directory here: http://j.mp/atxhs-covid-team. We need you all to self-organize and list the following, in this google sheet: http://j.mp/atxhs-covid-plan —
  • What are our resources, in ATXHS and in our homes? Here's a spreadsheet to list what you have (3d printer rate, how much filament, etc):
  • Who can help make — put your name in the "People" tab.
  • Which plan or plans listed above look like the most promising
  • What else needs to be finalized to give machinable/printable parts lists to makers?
  • What are the parts or materials to purchase? Need prices, vendors, specific links. How likely are they to run out of stock?
  • For each of the parts, how long will they take to manufacture? What is the skill level?
I've put a lot of pieces in place — this email and the research behind it took more than five hours. I am willing to devote as much time and effort to this as possible -- we need the engineering experts to step up and develop a plan. Let me and the board know how else to help you save lives.

Also — if anyone is reaching out to response organizations, please clearly communicate:
  • That we understand communicating back about this may be low-priority compared to what they're working on;
  • What resources we have that can help, and that we're eager to do so;
  • Some concrete suggestions (face masks, ventilator multiplexers, homebrew ventilators) of what we can do;
  • ... But that they should be frank about how they would want us to use our time and talent, and about how to not be a tax on their resources and attention.
  • That our folks are eager coordinate logistics and a liability release from them.
Hackerspace will do anything possible to help with a formal request from an official response group. We'd need some sort of liability release, and other annoying realities, but we could work on that while things get started.

Phil Parana

Mar 21, 2020, 2:31:54 PM3/21/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
My wife works for one of the largest medical device manufactures in regulatory.

 I've attached a link to a face shield design that she agrees is viable.

I have the equipment to assemble,  sterilize, seal and distribute to local hospitals. I do not have enough printers.

 If this is something you guys can start making over at atxhs let me know.  I have shields on order just need the 3d printed parts.

There are a lot of ideas floating around and unfortunately 3d printing a lot of these items even facemasks is not viable due to the material and sterilization.  No one wants to waste time printing what is not usable.  These will help keep masks cleaner, for  longer use.

Joe N

Mar 21, 2020, 2:40:02 PM3/21/20
to ATXHS Discuss
Thanks. I was wondering about the sterilization part. I thought we would have to move to a injection mold to make cleanable mask

Phil Parana

Mar 21, 2020, 2:50:10 PM3/21/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
The reusable masks are just not feesible unless you can get a certain fillimant. Even then it's problematic for multiple uses because of the need to re sterilize.

Shields are easier and can also be one and done.  IE wear for shift and toss.

 If they really have a shortage I may be able to build a chamber to re sterilize again.

You could just wipe them down and get 99 percent clean, but really will be situation specific risk/need availability.

No one short of 3m exr is going to be making n95 viable masks and even then everywhere in the world want them.

Moses Turner

Mar 21, 2020, 3:03:22 PM3/21/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Has anybody filled out the fabricant equipment form here?
If not, I'll do it and give information about ATX Hackerspace's capabilities.

James Manley

Mar 21, 2020, 3:08:22 PM3/21/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
"Don't let the perfect stand in the way of the good."

Primary method of transport is through water droplets, preventing the droplet from reaching the mouth nose or eyes is the primary goal. The virus itself is 0.3 microns but the small droplets coil be expected to be around the size of 10.0 micron.

If its a question of a mask that can block the droplets, its better than nothing at all.

a 2013 study found that a cotton clothe mask is atleast 50% effective at filtering a 0.2 micron sample bacteria, hospital masks are only 89% effective -> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258525804_Testing_the_Efficacy_of_Homemade_Masks_Would_They_Protect_in_an_Influenza_Pandemic#pf7

their conclusions states they wouldn't recommend the home made mask, but that is in the stance that commercial masks are available.

Jason Harmon

Mar 22, 2020, 11:18:19 AM3/22/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
@Phil Paran, can you guide us on a location/schedule for dropping 3D printed Prusa shield parts so you can assemble, sterilize, seal and distribute? We have already identified capacity from our community, and I think we can all work to mobilize more capacity if there is a process going for delivering results.

Re: masks, whether they be sewed, 3D printed, whatever...this is a tougher problem, let's stay on finding the right solution. Nothing saying we can't produce shields and masks, and use multiple processes in parallel.

Phil Parana

Mar 22, 2020, 12:37:34 PM3/22/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Best practice would be to wash parts and bag put in a bag or box with qty and fillimant used.   Depending on qtys I can schedule pickups from shop or houses.  I'm trying to avoid having cross contamination of parts and or people.  Of they are washed it will save me some time on sterilization prior to assembly and final sterilization

Kye Flannery

Mar 22, 2020, 1:46:18 PM3/22/20
to atxhs-discuss, ppar...@gmail.com
If people want to help with this effort, but need more printers, we can talk about if people feel the 3-d printers at the space would be helpful and in what context it would be best to use them.

--
Kye Flannery

Have compassion for everyone you meet, even if they don't want it. What seems conceit, bad manners, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.  —Miller Williams

Kye Flannery

Mar 22, 2020, 4:38:00 PM3/22/20
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Moses, I haven’t done this - please feel free to sign up. Let me know if you have questions about capabilities.