May schedule changes & my apologies for missing TWO HAPPY HOURS in a row

Sara Safavi

Apr 20, 2015, 10:51:59 PM4/20/15
to atx-osg-...@meetup.com, atx...@googlegroups.com
Greetings, atxosg'ers!

Some of you may have noticed that our much-requested May Tech Night topic, Hands on with GDAL, has moved to June. Don't worry, this tech night is still very much going to happen! Just on a slight delay. Huge thanks to members Chris & Daniel for volunteering to share their GDAL knowledge with us all.

Also, I wanted to apologize for missing both March & April's happy hours: I know it makes it harder to find the group's tables when I'm not there (maybe we need some more crazy hair in the group? :) ). I really am sorry to leave you all hanging, and promise, scout's honor, to be back in action for May's happy hour.

The reason for May's GDAL night being postponed, and my missing two happy hours, is that I've been laid up the past few months with a nasty back problem. Luckily, next week I'm going to have surgery to get things sorted out, so by Mid-May everything should be returning to its regularly scheduled awesomeness. I wanted to let y'all know the reason behind my absences and the schedule disruption, in case anyone started wondering "hm, what's happening to Austin Open Source GIS, is Sara getting tired of the group?". Definitely not! And have no fear, atxosg isn't going anywhere! In fact, the group continues to grow. New members are still joining every day, which is so cool.

So thanks everyone for your patience the last few months. In the meanwhile, even though GDAL night has been moved to June, there's still plenty going on.  The next OSM Import working group meeting is coming up. The new Slack team is turning into a fun place to share things we've made and get help from others (if you haven't already requested an invite, email me and I'll send you one). We've got lots of plans coming up for the summer: topic requests and speaker volunteers, plus (of course) more happy hours. And I have a stack of books to give away to y'all. :)

Thanks again, y'all. See you at GeoRodeo!
-- S