Issues with available physical memory detected by linux-3.2.18

Bharath Ramesh

Jun 11, 2012, 12:11:53 AM6/11/12
to atv-boo...@googlegroups.com
I have been trying to debug the issue which is causing only ~64M of the total 256M being made available by the kernel. I am building the mach_kernel from the compiled vmlinuz and generated initrd. There is no kexec involved in this, this isnt an issue with vesa/nouveau kernel drivers as I had suspected earlier. I am not sure what has changed in the kernel but somehow it is related to the size of the kernel rather than option that has been built with. I have been trying to debug this issue for a while to no avail. My belief is that some how the config is dictating the amount of memory used by the kernel during the early boot up stage and this is affecting how much off the memory is detected. I could most likely be wrong about this. I am hoping may be someone here can help me in resolving this issue or point me in the direction that helps me in finding a solution. The following is just to illustrate how slight different in the kernel config is affecting the amount of memory detected:

config-3.2.18-nouveau-256M: http://pastebin.com/9V8dSED3
config-3.2.18-nouveau-64M: http://pastebin.com/CsUK0yy3
config.3.2.18-nouveau-256M-64M.diff: http://pastebin.com/MkYbQf5V
dmesg.3.2.18-nouveau-256M: http://pastebin.com/UUYBzqm8