how to mount an [original] atv partition rw?

zwalex

Apr 18, 2008, 7:33:01 PM4/18/08
to atv-bootloader
First of all thank you for all your work with this project. I guess
and hope this is what I was looking for when searching for a small,
not-convoluted way to create a patchstick for the atv. I am aware that
the main reason for the atv-bootloader is to install [and run] Linux
on either the atv internal or an external HDD but I thought I will
only use it to make a Linux patchstick to load some plugins on the atv
- actually just one: the ATV Loader (not to be confused with the atv-
bootloader ...) and try to do everthing else from there [I might then
decide to do a 'dual-boot' atv/MythTV install ...].

Anyhow - I got pretty far with having a script that launches from the
patchstick.sh script but now I got stuck wanting to mount an atv
partition (/OSBoot, the third one) rw in order to copy the AwkwardTV
Loader frappliance on it.
I read the instructions on the AlternatePartitioning1 wiki page and my
script does:
fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda3
mkdir /OSBoot
mount -o force /dev/sda3 /OSBoot
The fsck command gets the message that there is no checking on a
journaled file system and that I can force checking with the -f
option. I thought that I only get this message if the file system is
clean anyhow, but maybe not. Shall i force checking (fsck.hfsplus -f /
dev/sdb3)?
The mount does not get any message but as soon as I want to write to /
OSBoot I get my fingers slapped with some 'read only file system'
messages. I don't know why that happens after I mounted explicitly
with -o force.

I tried to reproduce all of this on a Kubuntu 7.10 that I run under
VMware using a thumbdrive where I formatted a journaled HFS+ partition
(mkfs.hfsplus -j -v somePartition /dev/sdb2).
[The parted and hfs patches from this project are installed]
I do not get the same message with fsck and there is no problem
writing to the journaled HFS+ partition when mounting it with -o
force.

Any ideas, hints and tips highly appreciated.
Thanks,
alex

zwalex

Apr 18, 2008, 7:55:10 PM4/18/08
to atv-bootloader
The only explanation that I have so far for myself is that the
hfs_support package is not on the booted image or at least not the
same version and functionality that I downloaded and installed on my
Linux box.
Please explain - Thanks.
alex

Scott D. Davilla

Apr 18, 2008, 9:10:07 PM4/18/08
to atv-bootloader
>The only explanation that I have so far for myself is that the
>hfs_support package is not on the booted image or at least not the
>same version and functionality that I downloaded and installed on my
>Linux box.

The file system in the initramfs that atv-bootloader uses has the
same patched parted and fsck.hfsplus contained in the downloads
sections.

I don't have a good explanation as to what is going on.

ignore the return from fsck and mount using

mount -t hfsplus -o rw,force /dev/sda3 /mnt/OSBoot

Let me know if that works and I'll update the wiki.

Knut Forkalsrud

Apr 15, 2012, 2:28:46 AM4/15/12
to atv-boo...@googlegroups.com
The same thing happened to me.  The issue was that the HFS+ partition was not cleanly unmounted and had been mounted read-only.
When I ran "dmesg" I saw warnings about that.  A simple "fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda2" and a remount resolved the issue.