Re: [DG-AM] definition of Identity Attribute for the report

Salvatore D'Agostino

Mar 22, 2012, 1:47:20 PM3/22/12
to Dagg, Kenneth, dg...@kantarainitiative.org

Thanks Ken,

OK so if we move away from ITU f, toward  "Identity Attribute is information that contributes to establishing the identity (a unique name) of a single person?"

Yes attributes can support a “higher level of authN” but also are related to authZ independent of or in combination with name or identifier.   It depends on the attribute types, so might we expand this to include “.. contributes to establishing the identity (unique name) and “permissions/privileges/claims” of an individual”

Not sure what the actual word is there and put these 3 in as example/suggestion.

Mar 22, 2012, 2:48:16 PM3/22/12
to Dagg, Kenneth, dg...@kantarainitiative.org
From: VonVictor Valentino Rosenchild
New York, NY (New York City)
Mobile: (347) 799-4749
E-mail: VonRos...@gmail.com

To: Kenneth Dagg,

Hello Kenneth,

The definition that you have provided is in alignment with the established definition.

Sincerely yours,

Von'Victor Valentino Rosenchild
United States Navy Veteran
New York, NY (New York City)
E-mail: vonros...@gmail.com

2012/3/22 Dagg, Kenneth <Kennet...@tbs-sct.gc.ca>
[...]

Barbir, Abbie

Mar 22, 2012, 3:33:34 PM3/22/12
to David L. Wasley, dg...@kantarainitiative.org

Hi

Agree and as such the itu definition is better suited since identity is defined as a collection of attributes

We really need to standardize on the use of international definitions since ISO 29915 builds on x.1252

cheers

Mar 22, 2012, 7:12:48 PM3/22/12
to dg...@kantarainitiative.org

+1

What Dave is implying, and Abbie is supporting (as am I on a personal basis but not necessarily the view of my employer) is that the KI definition is bound to 800-63 which is, err, outdated.

If the AM DG Report was to be bound to the IAF in some way (like for example, the Privacy Assessment Criteria from P3 WG is bound to the IAF SACs and the Kantara and Federal Privacy Profiles) then outdated or not, we would need to align.

But I’m not sure there is a strong reason why the AM DG Report should be bound to the IAF KI one, but happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

Cheers

Colin

====
CAUTION:  This email message and any attachments contain information that may be confidential and may be LEGALLY PRIVILEGED. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email message in error please notify us immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Thank you.
====

Keith Hazelton

Mar 22, 2012, 8:19:38 PM3/22/12
to Colin Wallis, dg...@kantarainitiative.org
Repeating my reply to Ken (and agreeing with David, Abbie & Colin) since I neglected to address it to this list:

> the following would be more aligned, "Identity Attribute is information that contributes to establishing the identity (a unique name) of a single person?"

I have problems with that definition because of the emphasis it puts on attributes being fundamentally about identifying someone uniquely.  My attribute of "staff" at UW-Madison does very little to help pinpoint me, Keith Hazelton, but it is perfectly adequate on its own to grant me library privileges.    --Keith

_________________
==== _______________________________________________

Salvatore D'Agostino

Mar 23, 2012, 9:48:49 AM3/23/12
to Dagg, Kenneth, David L. Wasley, Colin Wallis, dg...@kantarainitiative.org
Thanks Ken for reaching out to the IAWG, and others for the discussion.

I think this points out the very tricky nature of the definition.

Our report is not really bound by anything other than best guidance. This
conversation helped us to achieve that and while a consideration of an
expansion on the 1252 definition may have some merit it is probably in the
general discussion of the "use" of attributes as opposed to the "what is".

Is consensus to stay with the existing ITU definition for the report?

Regards,

Sal

The discussion has been excellent. I will make a recommendation to the IAWG
to update their glossary to reflect the discussion.

Ken

Kenneth Dagg
Senior Project Co-ordinator | Coordonnateur de projet supérieur Security and
Identity Management | Sécurité et gestion des identités Chief Information
Officer Branch | Direction du dirigeant principal de l'information Treasury
Board of Canada Secretariat | Secrétariat du Conseil du Trésor du Canada
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0R5 Kennet...@tbs-sct.gc.ca Telephone | Téléphone
613-957-7041 / Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-954-6642 / Teletypewriter |
Téléimprimeur 613-957-9090 Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

Mar 23, 2012, 10:00:58 AM3/23/12
to Salvatore D'Agostino, David L. Wasley, Colin Wallis, dg...@kantarainitiative.org
That was my understanding of the discussion.

Joanne Knight

Mar 26, 2012, 4:16:58 PM3/26/12
to Salvatore D'Agostino, Dagg, Kenneth, dg...@kantarainitiative.org

Hi

Permissions and Privileges (without examples) to me are Access or Authority attributes not Identity attributes. This comes back to the definition of scope. Claims are in the realm of Trust or what I clumsily refer to as Identity Attribute Metadata Attributes or Information Attributes about Identity Attributes. ugh

====

Joanne Knight

Mar 26, 2012, 4:47:14 PM3/26/12
to David L. Wasley, dg...@kantarainitiative.org

There are two point I would pick up here.

1) If we define Identity Attribute as the values needed to establish that an individual entity in unique then adding attributes such as Student would mean an unnecessary number of attributes would need to be collected to achieive uniqueness.

2) As per previous email, we have moved further to a point where we consider Role or Context separately from unique identity. For example in an Education system one unique identity may have more than one role e.g. Student and Teacher. The identity is the same for both but the role they perform in different situations changes. We would attach rights and permissions to the combination of identity and role (personna) not to the identity on its own. Identifiers, facts and preferences may also be different depending on the role. e.g. Joe Bloggs teaches Mathematics but is learning how to paint. In his personna of Mathematics teacher his qualifications and use of the title Professor are relevant, when he is learning to paint he no longer wishes to be referred to as Professor and his mathematic and teaching qualifications are also unlikely to be relevant to his learning or ability to paint.

Don't we want to move to an environment where a person can establish their unique identity and attach it to a credential that allows them to reuse this identity when registering with any organisation. If we encumber that identity with role information that is only relevant to one organisation or system context then I would suggest we would be designing a global service centric data store rather than a person centric ecosystem.

Just my thoughts

Salvatore D'Agostino

Mar 26, 2012, 7:03:22 PM3/26/12
to Joanne Knight, David L. Wasley, dg...@kantarainitiative.org

Agree that there is a distinction between “core identity” attributes and others that are acquired.

Is this in x.1254?

Let’s see if and how we can include the distinction.

Colin Wallis

Mar 26, 2012, 7:24:26 PM3/26/12
to Salvatore D'Agostino, Joanne Knight, David L. Wasley, dg...@kantarainitiative.org

OK, so x.1252 (not 1254 which is entity authentication assurance) does not specifically define ‘Identity attribute’.

But I think the term can be derived from the following definitions.

Arguably, the ‘NOTE’ is not helpful given some of the AM DG discussion.

But overall, I think it is fair to say that the ITU-T definitions represent a reasonable compromise on the range of opinions expressed.

Cheers

Colin

6.30 identity: A representation of an entity in the form of one or more attributes that allow the

entity or entities to be sufficiently distinguished within context. For identity management (IdM)

purposes, the term identity is understood as contextual identity (subset of attributes), i.e., the variety

of attributes is limited by a framework with defined boundary conditions (the context) in which the

entity exists and interacts.

NOTE – Each entity is represented by one holistic identity that comprises all possible information elements

characterizing such entity (the attributes). However, this holistic identity is a theoretical issue and eludes any

description and practical usage because the number of all possible attributes is indefinite.

6.9 attribute: Information bound to an entity that specifies a characteristic of the entity.

====
CAUTION:  This email message and any attachments contain information that may be confidential and may be LEGALLY PRIVILEGED. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email message in error please notify us immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Thank you.
====

Salvatore D'Agostino

Mar 26, 2012, 7:32:40 PM3/26/12
to Colin Wallis, Joanne Knight, David L. Wasley, dg...@kantarainitiative.org

Thanks Colin,

Have not seen 1254 just know it’s there, thanks.

So that leaves plenty of room.

About to run out of battery on plane, I will run through the draft and see if we can add clarifying language.

Regards,

Sal