ats-lang libraries licenses

Shmulik Regev

Apr 18, 2014, 4:18:41 PM4/18/14
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm looking for some clarifications regarding the ats-lang license and the licenses for the accompanying libraries.
  1. If I correctly understand, the sources for the various ats-lang tools are GPLv3 but the target executable isn't. What about the generated C code?
  2. It says that some of the core libraries are GPLv3. As I understand it, any usage of these libraries will imply GPLv3 over the rest of the code, i.e. the code written by myself (for example).
  3. What about other libraries like the contrib one?
Thanks,
Shmul

Brandon Barker

Apr 18, 2014, 4:27:51 PM4/18/14
to Shmulik Regev, ats-lang-users
The answer to 2 should be that it need not be licensed under the GPL
(I assume this extends to 3):

>>> It means "Any software compiled by ATS should be distributed under GPLv3"?
>>> If so, it's big problem also for me.
>>

>>No, but you'd have a hard time convincing yourself and you clients
>>exactly what the legal drivel in GPL actually means, and many probably
>>wouldn't want to take the risk.
>>
>>Some say its OK to dynamically link to GPL code because the shared library
>>can be independently distributed, whereas a statically linked executable can't be.

You can use ATS in such a way that these issues do not have to show up:

<source-code> --(compiled-by-ATS)--> <target-code-in-C>

The <target-code-in-C> can be generated in a way that neither libatslib.a nor
libatslib.so is needed for the purpose of linking.

Here is a small project showing how to generate target code in C that does
not need libatslib:

https://github.com/githwxi/ATS-Postiats/tree/master/doc/PROJECT/SMALL/GameOf24

Generating this kind of 'stand-alone' C code is currently the preferred
way of developing systems in ATS. It is not just for the purpose of addressing
potential license issues. It also tries to maximize the portability of
the developed
systems.
Brandon Barker
brandon...@gmail.com
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ats-lang-users/74a40bd6-f3be-4ddd-94a0-4865690ad378%40googlegroups.com.

gmhwxi

Apr 18, 2014, 4:51:43 PM4/18/14
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com

>> If I correctly understand, the sources for the various ats-lang tools are GPLv3 but the target executable isn't. What about the generated C code?

ATS2 compiler (ATS/Postiats) is like GCC.

If one uses GCC to generate object code from C source one owns, then I assume that
he/she owns the generated object code.

If you use ATS/Postiats to generate C code from ATS source you owns, then you own the
generated C code.

>>It says that some of the core libraries are GPLv3. As I understand it, any usage of these libraries will imply GPLv3 over the rest of the code, i.e. the code written by myself (for example).

ATS library is primarily used to generate C code. See the answer to (1).

>> What about other libraries like the contrib one?

Most of them have a BSD-like license.