Two compilers for compiling ATS3 to JS

gmhwxi

Jul 3, 2024, 6:42:47 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to ats-lang-users
Hi, ats-lang-users,

I have been working on bootstrapping ATS3 (that is,
implementing ATS3 in ATS3) for quite a bit over 2 years.
We now have two compilers for compiling ATS3 into JS:

xats2js_in_ats2:

xats2js_in_ats3

Bootstrapping is not yet done as the second compiler above cannot
yet fully compile itself into JS; some further tuning is needed to sort
things out.

Before working on xats2cc_in_ats3 (which compiles ATS3 into a small
subset of C), I will attempt to work on documenting ATS3. There is definitely
a lot of stuff to write about.

Cheers!

Yours truely,

--Hongwei

Brandon Barker

Jul 3, 2024, 8:26:06 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com

That's exciting to hear! Could you remind me of the state of compiling ATS3 to C? I understand that may not be an immediate priority, but I assume it is a long term goal.

gmhwxi

Jul 3, 2024, 8:31:24 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to ats-lang-users
Hi Brandon,

Good to hear from you!

Yes, a compiler from ATS3 to C is a must.

I would like to give xats2js a try before moving forward, though. I need to get a sense as to how
programming with template fares in practice.

Cheers,

--Hongwei