What are the references behind the names "postiats" and "xanadu" ?

Yann Le Du

Jan 26, 2022, 1:31:28 PM1/26/22
to ats-lang-users
I see "ats" in "postiats", and "post" so maybe the "i" is "1" so it would mean "after the 1st ATS" ?

Whereas for "xanadu" maybe the famous Mongol metropolis, not sure, but that would fit with the "unleashing" aspect of ATS ;-)

gmhwxi

Jan 27, 2022, 12:51:13 AM1/27/22
to ats-lang-users
FYI.

I just made up the name Postiats. There is no particular meaning to it.
Just like the letter 'lambda' in lambda-calculus was chosen for no particular reason
(which I learned from Dana Scott, who learned it from the son-in-law of Alonzo Church,
the inventor of lambda-calculus).

I once designed and implemented a language called Xanadu. I chose the name Xanadu
for that language to mean something powerful, exotic and mysterious. See the following
poem by Coleridge:

So I recycled the name Xanadu here. When writing ATS/Xanadu, I mean that the language is
called ATS and the implementation is called Xanadu. More precisely, it should be ATS3/Xananu
(ATS3 for the third edition of ATS).

Cheers,

--Hongwei