Scripts for installing ATS2/ATS2-contrib

gmhwxi

Sep 5, 2015, 3:06:21 PM9/5/15
to ats-lang-users

I collected some scripts for installing ATS2/ATS2-contrib
VERY conveniently:

https://github.com/ats-lang/ats-lang.github.io/tree/master/SCRIPT

Some of the mentioned scripts (e.g., Homebrew for Mac) are maintained elsewhere.

Please fill free to contribute such scripts.

Cheers,

--Hongwei

Barry Schwartz

Sep 5, 2015, 5:04:17 PM9/5/15
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
gmhwxi <gmh...@gmail.com> skribis:
> I collected some scripts for installing ATS2/ATS2-contrib
> VERY conveniently:

My ‘sortsmill’ overlay for Gentoo contains scripts for slotted
installs. You can have multiple versions installed. Try

layman -a sortsmill
emerge -pv dev-lang/ats2:{0.2.1,0.2.2,live}
emerge -pv dev-lang/ats2-contrib:{0.2.1,0.2.2,live}

It’ll probably tell you the ‘live’ slots are masked, and may tell you
the others are masked, but Gentoo users should be able to figure it
all out.

The ebuilds will pull in app-eselect/eselect-ats2 and
app-eselect/eselect-ats2-contrib. Gentoo users can guess what these
do.

There are also dev-lang/ats2-github and dev-lang/ats2-contrib-github
but the last time I tried the former it didn’t work. It tries to build
a tarball from the Github sources (using Anairats, which gets pulled
in) and then compile and install from the tarball as if it were a
release.

The overlay also has ebuilds for GNU Guile that are an alternative to
those in other repositories.

(I have ebuilds for Pure-lang, as well, but they are in another repo.)

gmhwxi

Sep 5, 2015, 5:29:11 PM9/5/15
to ats-lang-users

Thanks!

The overlay is now mentioned here:

https://github.com/ats-lang/ats-lang.github.io/tree/master/SCRIPT

If you could write a short description of the overlay, I will be happy to paste it in
verbatim.

Barry Schwartz

Sep 5, 2015, 6:34:24 PM9/5/15
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
gmhwxi <gmh...@gmail.com> skribis:
> The overlay is now mentioned here:
>
> https://github.com/ats-lang/ats-lang.github.io/tree/master/SCRIPT
>
> If you could write a short description of the overlay, I will be happy to
> paste it in verbatim.

The ‘sortsmill’ overlay for Gentoo is a collection of ebuilds
related in some way to font development. It is a Mercurial
repository at https://bitbucket.org/sortsmill/sortsmill-gentoo-overlay
and is listed by ‘layman -L’ under the name ‘sortsmill’. So you can
install it, if you are using layman, with the command

layman -a sortsmill

Ebuilds related to ATS2 include

dev-lang/ats2 -- install ATS2
dev-lang/ats2-github -- (try to) install ATS2-github
dev-lang/ats2-contrib -- install ATS2-contrib
dev-lang/ats2-contrib-github -- install ATS2-contrib-github
app-emacs/ats2-mode -- install ats2-mode and optionally
also install flymake

You can have multiple versions of ATS2 and ATS2-contrib installed
simultaneously, using eselect or settings of PATSHOME and/or
PATSHOMERELOC to control which versions are used. The ATS2 and
ATS2-contrib versions are controlled independently. (I thought
this better than trying to impose version-matching constraints.)

There is also dev-lang/ats for installing ATS1; this is pulled
in by dev-lang/ats2-github. It is a clumsy ebuild based on the
one that is in the main Gentoo repository.

A Gentoo ebuild is just a Bash script running in a certain
environment, mostly defining certain Bash functions,
and so may be useful even to non-Gentoo users as reading
material. (It’s not a makefile, nor is it in a special file
format like what you find in rpm and dpkg packages.)

(Gentoo users may be curious about my ebuild-writing style. It is
based on what is common practice in Exherbo Linux, though their
repository layout and script conventions are different.)

Barry Schwartz

Sep 5, 2015, 6:58:32 PM9/5/15
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
There are a few other goodies for functional programming nerds in that
sortsmill bitbucket account, BTW. In particular the
‘sortsmill-core-guile’ package can optionally be compiled with stuff
to let you write Python modules in Scheme, that run in Guile. There
isn’t and won’t be any documentation, unfortunately, and the
performance is not spectacular. It is only for Guile 2.x, not Guile
1.x or Racket et al.

(This is not the same idea as Hy, which is a functional language
compiler that produces actual C-Python intermediate code.)

What I was doing with Python-in-Guile is part of what I plan to redo
in ATS2, to get less unspectacular performance.

Yannick Duchêne

Nov 24, 2015, 2:00:36 PM11/24/15
to ats-lang-users

Le samedi 5 septembre 2015 21:06:21 UTC+2, gmhwxi a écrit :

I collected some scripts for installing ATS2/ATS2-contrib
VERY conveniently:

https://github.com/ats-lang/ats-lang.github.io/tree/master/SCRIPT
[…]

There is a tiny typo error in a comment: “For parsing constrants” should be “For parsing constraints”

Hongwei Xi

Nov 24, 2015, 2:09:08 PM11/24/15
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
Fixed. Thanks!