ATS3 Temptory

rodol

Feb 4, 2020, 8:34:20 PM2/4/20
to ats-lang-users
As I understand it, Temptory is ATS2 with a different standard library/prelude essentially.

Will we be able to load Temptory into ATS3, after some minor porting, or is the template
system too different for that?

gmhwxi

Feb 6, 2020, 5:35:53 PM2/6/20
to ats-lang-users

Temptory was an experiment I did last summer. I was trying
to convince myself that the Temptory approach to building libraries
should be adopted in ATS3. I guess I did convince myself :)

So programming in ATS3 should be a lot like programming in Temptory
(plus the support of type inference).

Andreas ZUERCHER

Feb 7, 2020, 2:13:17 PM2/7/20
to ats-lang-users
I've been curious:  Why is ATS3/Xanadu being written in ATS2/Postiats instead of ATS2/Temptory?  At first glance, it seems that writing ATS3/Xanadu in ATS2/Temptory for the time being would be a stepping stone to writing ATS3/Xanadu in ATS3/Xanadu in the future, given that they share some degree of the same approach to templates, which is some degree of a departure from ATS2/Postiats.  Or would that feature-set be substantially unutilized in ATS3/Xanadu's source code?

Hongwei Xi

Feb 7, 2020, 2:27:30 PM2/7/20
to ats-lan...@googlegroups.com
The primary reason is that I had already started working on ATS3 before I did the Temptory experiment.