Can we get a stable URI already?!

tobyink

Nov 27, 2008, 6:07:46 AM11/27/08
to atom-owl
I would suggest something like:

http://purl.org/stuff/atom/owl#

Because Danny Ayers already controls <http://purl.org/stuff/>.

-Toby

Story Henry

Nov 27, 2008, 7:00:13 AM11/27/08
to atom...@googlegroups.com
There was a discussion on this on #swig. The chat logs are here:

http://chatlogs.planetrdf.com/swig/2008-11-27.html#T10-53-15

My summary at this time:

Purl choice:

- purl does not guarantee that the name will always refer to the
same ontology. The owner of the purl could die, change his mind, sell
his purl or whatever. There is no way for the purl organisation to
know what would be correct and incorrect behavior

+ has the advantage of allowing one to change the url redirected to,
so that those who do trust the domain owner can feel that taking over
the
purl will not be too difficult when an appropriate organisation is
chosen

- http://purl.org/atom is taken, don't know by whome.

W3c url:

+ we have been proposed a w3c name space some time ago.
- not sure what work remains to be done to put something there so
that people can feel happy
( One thing Harry Halpin had tried to get us working on was a
GRDDL for atom using XSLT 1. I have an XSLT 2.0 and Xquery transform )
+ this would make clear who the maintaining organization was

There are quite a few people on this mailing list btw, so I wonder
what others make of this.

Henry

Toby Inkster

Nov 27, 2008, 7:07:12 AM11/27/08
to atom...@googlegroups.com
> - http://purl.org/atom is taken, don't know by whome.

Sam Ruby

-Toby

Story Henry

Nov 27, 2008, 8:32:41 AM11/27/08
to atom...@googlegroups.com

On 27 Nov 2008, at 13:07, Toby Inkster wrote:
>> - http://purl.org/atom is taken, don't know by whome.
>
> Sam Ruby

Case in point: http://purl.org/atom no longer points to anything, even
though for a long time I think it did point to a whole bunch of atom
related
stuff. So a purl is not much of a guarantee of anything.

Still I wonder what Sam would think about having that purl be the URL
for the atom-owl namespace ?