AOSC 433/633: Wed update

Ross Salawitch

Feb 22, 2017, 7:34:58 PM2/22/17
to aosc433-0...@coursemail.umd.edu, aosc633-0...@coursemail.umd.edu, aosc633-a...@coursemail.umd.edu, atmospheric-chemist...@googlegroups.com, Pamela Wales, chem433-0...@coursemail.umd.edu

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying this unseasonably warm weather!  We had a decent sized snow event two years ago, on this date.  Looks like we are not gonna get hit this year, unless something dramatic that is not forecast happens in the next few weeks.

Am writing to:

a) note website has been updated to include most recent video and learning outcome quiz

b) apologize for the inconsistency in how lambda was treated, with respect to Lecture 4, Lecture 8, and our book.  Simply put, I messed this up.
Part e) of Question 2 of the Problem Set asks you to estimate three values of lambda.  Here, you can either:
i) divide an estimate of delta_T by an estimate of delta_RF, to get lambda in units of K / (W m^-2)

ii) divide an estimate of delta_RF by an estimate of delta_T, to get lambda in units of (W m^-2) / K
Full credit will be given for either method.  Please however indicate which method was used.  Then, for part g) of this question, use whichever "flavor" of lambda you have found in a correct manner, such that the units of the three values of delta_T are correct.

Due to this confusing, I am extending the date of P Set #2 to Fri at noon.  Provided we get the P Set either in person, or via email, Fri at noon, it will considered to be on time.  And, if you are still confused, please arrange to meet with either me or Pam sometime prior to Fri at noon.

I'll touch upon this all tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ross
--